Bronco Sport Big Bend vs Subaru Forester?

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My super competitive friend got a Subaru Forester at the same time I got my Big Bend. He keeps talking smack saying it wont keep up off road. I don't know anything about anything except I love my Bronco Sport. If I go romp around with him, am I going to look like a dummy?

What do you guys think???
Sponsored

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
My super competitive friend got a Subaru Forester at the same time I got my Big Bend. He keeps talking smack saying it wont keep up off road. I don't know anything about anything except I love my Bronco Sport. If I go romp around with him, am I going to look like a dummy?

just remind him that Subaruā€™s are a great car for middle aged lesbians. Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with that. Did his come with Birkenstocks?

Last edited:

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre

You wonā€™t look like a dummy. I know the Badlands would leave a forester in the dust. You should have no problem keeping up, and might even be a bit better.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
just remind him that Subaruā€™s are a great car for middle aged lesbians. Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with that. Did his come with Birkenstocks?
This is probably the funniest thing i've read today and I cant want to use this against him. Anyways, is there a chance that a middle aged lesbian's car choice will make me feel buyers remorse?! LOL

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You wonā€™t look like a dummy. I know the Badlands would leave a forester in the dust. You should have no problem keeping up, and might even be a bit better.
Thank you, this is encouraging. I think the reason I'm also asking is because I know that the badlands is bad@$$ and is obviously the best choice. When I purchased mine, the badlands wasn't shipped yet and I was really excited on the bronco sport so I justified the big bend. I haven't come across a situation yet where I feel buyers remorse and i'm just worried this may be the situation lol. I love my Bronco and I know that's what ultimately matters, and I feel it looks better in every way, but we are competitive so we all know that spirit.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Thank you, this is encouraging. I think the reason I'm also asking is because I know that the badlands is bad@$$ and is obviously the best choice. When I purchased mine, the badlands wasn't shipped yet and I was really excited on the bronco sport so I justified the big bend. I haven't come across a situation yet where I feel buyers remorse and i'm just worried this may be the situation lol. I love my Bronco and I know that's what ultimately matters, and I feel it looks better in every way, but we are competitive so we all know that spirit.
The Badlands IS a great vehicle. People who can justify the markup will point to the extra inch of clearance and the rear clutch and attribute the performance to those things, but the truth is, my base and your big bend are going to be just as capable in any situation these cars would see short of anything where you should be in a purpose built off-roader.

If I have to ask myself if I think my car can handle it, then I'm gonna turn around. As a jeeper friend of mine said, remind yourself 'I have to drive this home.'

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The Badlands IS a great vehicle. People who can justify the markup will point to the extra inch of clearance and the rear clutch and attribute the performance to those things, but the truth is, my base and your big bend are going to be just as capable in any situation these cars would see short of anything where you should be in a purpose built off-roader.

If I have to ask myself if I think my car can handle it, then I'm gonna turn around. As a jeeper friend of mine said, remind yourself 'I have to drive this home.'
This is very reassuring and I appreciate your insight. This is a great perspective.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
This is very reassuring and I appreciate your insight. This is a great perspective.
...and it's still gonna eat that forester, if the forester isn't lifted, etc.

And if it is? The baby bronco aftermarket will catch up eventually, and if that's the route you wanna take it'll eat the forester then, too. There's no replacement for a solid gearbox.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

And if it is? The baby bronco aftermarket will catch up eventually, and if that's the route you wanna take it'll eat the forester then, too. There's no replacement for a solid gearbox.
hahah Thanks for this.

I guess the thing your saying about gear box is what I dont understand. Could you explain this?

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
hahah Thanks for this.

I guess the thing your saying about gear box is what I dont understand. Could you explain this?

I don't know ANYTHING about ANYTHING in regards to cars or this stuff. I'm super excited to learn everything I can.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
hahah Thanks for this.

Subaru's CVT transmissions (and likely any CVT,) have issues with cutting power with excessive spin. They do really well with a running start, but precise maneuvering at low speeds is absolutely easier with a more traditional transmission.

roaddiet

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Hmmm. Hard to say about off road capability but the newer Subarus do seem well put together without the typical Ford squeaks and rattles. Somewhat strange throttle response sometimes though ā€” perhaps CVT related?

If your friend is trying to make you feel worse about your decision perhaps you should tell them to make their own decisions.

roaddiet

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAV4 Hybrid
I have chosen to hike up roads to trailheads for this reason. And if Iā€™m tired on the way back I just try to hitch a ride back to my car, which I suspect is easier when there isnā€™t a pandemic...

Pro-tip: I have learned that many Texans like to show off the capability of their vehicles so youā€™ll get shown every feature on the way back.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Subaru's CVT transmissions (and likely any CVT,) have issues with cutting power with excessive spin. They do really well with a running start, but precise maneuvering at low speeds is absolutely easier with a more traditional transmission.
Awesome, this is pretty good info. Thanks for this. I have noticed alot of torque with mine and I've read something that it has to do with the gearing and the 8 speed transmission.
Sponsored