Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
If you get a ranger xlt tremor, it will probably come in around 40k, so just slightly more than a loaded badlands sport. I think it looks pretty cool (minus the graphics), especially those auxiliary switches. If this was released when the ranger first came out, I probably would have bought it instead of my explorer, but with the next gen ranger, bronco, and bronco sport right around the corner, I’ll pass on this for now. Next gen ranger tremor will be really tempting though.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
No MT (well there wasn't one mentioned)........

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I'm actually still looking at the Ranger line as an alternative to the Sport. Although I have a Badlands reservation, I still want to test drive one before I commit. The BS size kind of scares me, given the comparisons to other SUV's -- but seeing it in person will help, along with the ability to lift it a little. I'm also waiting to commit until after the election, as I might go to a hybrid, or at least wait for a hybrid SUV as several are in the works. The Ranger is a great truck and if they released a Ranger Raptor, that would be a contender! I drive a lot of miles per year for business, so these things do matter.

Last edited:

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I'm actually still looking at the Ranger line as an alternative to the Sport. Although I have a Badlands reservation, I still want to test drive one before I commit. The BS size kind of scares me, given the comparisons to other SUV's -- but seeing it in person will help, along with the ability to lift it a little. I'm also waiting to commit until after the election, as I might go to a hybrid, or at least wait for a hybrid SUV as several are in the works. The Ranger is a great truck and if they released a Ranger Raptor, that would be a contender! I drive a lot of miles per year for business, so these things do matter.
I understand that you would personally cross shop other cars/trucks and what not.. But isn't that kind of an apples to bananas comparison? Size/Price/layouts all are sort of different...

Comparing a Raptor anything against a Bronco Sport is a bit unfair...

Pure mathematical computations (if you drive under 300 miles daily) puts the Tesla's and other electric vehicles way lower in cost to own if you need something to put a lot of miles on the pavement.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I understand that you would personally cross shop other cars/trucks and what not.. But isn't that kind of an apples to bananas comparison? Size/Price/layouts all are sort of different...

Comparing a Raptor anything against a Bronco Sport is a bit unfair...

Pure mathematical computations (if you drive under 300 miles daily) puts the Tesla's and other electric vehicles way lower in cost to own if you need something to put a lot of miles on the pavement.
Unfortunately there is no acceptable hybrid-SUV option. The 2021 Rav-4 Prime would be a contender, but there is no off-road edition. Going all electric is not an option as I often drive 600+ miles per day when I'm storm chasing and I often end up in areas with no power. I believe we are just a few years away from decent hybrid-SUV's, but they involve a lot of moving parts and electronics so reliability will be an issue for years to come.

There are very few SUV options where my requirements are met: acceleration for passing, good handling, height for crossing at least 2 feet of water, good interior size and decent headlamps. I think the Sport will be a serious contender, but I'll need to drive it first. Pick-ups are another option.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Unfortunately there is no acceptable hybrid-SUV option. The 2021 Rav-4 Prime would be a contender, but there is no off-road edition. Going all electric is not an option as I often drive 600+ miles per day when I'm storm chasing and I often end up in areas with no power. I believe we are just a few years away from decent hybrid-SUV's, but they involve a lot of moving parts and electronics so reliability will be an issue for years to come.

There are very few SUV options where my requirements are met: acceleration for passing, good handling, height for crossing at least 2 feet of water, good interior size and decent headlamps. I think the Sport will be a serious contender, but I'll need to drive it first. Pick-ups are another option.
Honestly... that sounds like a 4Runner or something like that but MPG is horrid. Nothing outside of the Toyota/Lexus lines are really that reliable if you are doing that many miles/day.

Hybrid wise... the RAV4 Prime can do the most "offroad" of the RAV4 series (but not really) and according to reviews.. its pretty powerful acceleration wise. However, due to the pandemic it's not even being made fast enough for you to get your hands on one.

Also.. Honda Passport's AWD system seems pretty capable for minor off road trails. Not rock crawling though and has (slightly) better fuel efficiency than the 4Runner. There are a few videos on youtube of an overlander's adventure with the Passport and it does reasonably well for an AWD. Not as easily as the Ford Bronco's 4x4 system it looks like.

TLDR; I see your predicament.

On another note... do you have a youtube channel about storm chasing? and yes I agree that.. you need a patreon to fund that gas!!!

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
The 4Runner would be an option, but after driving one, the handling was scary on curves going 65+ mph. It required a lot of attention not to drift off the road. Handling is a known issue. The headlamps are also an issue, just like my Xterra. In fact, I'd call the headlamps a defect. You cannot see anything in the road at night. Headlamp issues are one of the top subjects on 4Runner discussion groups. I know they changed (fixed) the headlamp problems in 2021, but the fix is only available on the most expensive model. Go figure. Like the Tacoma, the 4Runner is under powered -- very noticeable while passing and on hills. It needs a turbo, which can be added by a third party for 6k. Yikes! I'm hoping the Scout will pass the test. I'm a little nervous about the headlamps and acceleration, but we will see.

TXArchitect

First Edition
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I’m just glad there’s more options and better competition coming. Whatever to get the best off raider for the best price. Yes!

plumber26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
Hello All. First time poster here, been enjoying the site...

I'm considering of the Ranger Tremor as an alternative for a few reasons.

For the two of us plus future dog our use will be: primary vehicle: round-about-town; transporting said dog to trailheads for walks etc; and a four door/seater if needed for other passengers.

Second vehicle is our full size pick up with slide in camper used for road trips and recreation.

Up until a few months ago it was probably going to be a Forrester. Now the BL Sport is looking really good but with these concerns:

- Cargo area size for future dog - a mid (Lab) to largish breed (cross Shepard etc). Tremor would have the truck box and with a canopy ~ 40" of inside height but comes with some animal comfort downsides (but not heat). ** Would love reading thoughts on this **

- Value. In my market, and the way I'd order, say, ~35K for the Forrester, ~ 44K for the BL Sport, ~ 46K for the Tremor (est.). As much as I like the idea of the Sport and might pay the premium over a Forrester, I see extra value in the versatility of a pick up, the body on frame, off highway chops, and tow rating.

- Spare tire holder size. Would want to know the BL comes with a true matching size (not just a "full size spare") or that one could fit in the holder, width and height wise. Forrester doesn't - which is bogus for off highway. Tremor, there should at least be room for a matching spare.

plumber26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
Thanks. Yes, a suv type would make more sense. Hoping the cargo space will workout. Would prefer seats up in the rear.

Or maybe we'll end up with a smaller dog !!

Thatch

Badlands
First Name
TAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Cherokee, 72 CJ5, 2017 GTI
Hello All. First time poster here, been enjoying the site...

I'm considering of the Ranger Tremor as an alternative for a few reasons.

For the two of us plus future dog our use will be: primary vehicle: round-about-town; transporting said dog to trailheads for walks etc; and a four door/seater if needed for other passengers.

Second vehicle is our full size pick up with slide in camper used for road trips and recreation.

Up until a few months ago it was probably going to be a Forrester. Now the BL Sport is looking really good but with these concerns:

- Cargo area size for future dog - a mid (Lab) to largish breed (cross Shepard etc). Tremor would have the truck box and with a canopy ~ 40" of inside height but comes with some animal comfort downsides (but not heat). ** Would love reading thoughts on this **

- Value. In my market, and the way I'd order, say, ~35K for the Forrester, ~ 44K for the BL Sport, ~ 46K for the Tremor (est.). As much as I like the idea of the Sport and might pay the premium over a Forrester, I see extra value in the versatility of a pick up, the body on frame, off highway chops, and tow rating.

- Spare tire holder size. Would want to know the BL comes with a true matching size (not just a "full size spare") or that one could fit in the holder, width and height wise. Forrester doesn't - which is bogus for off highway. Tremor, there should at least be room for a matching spare.
For us one of the biggest concerns with the BS is if the internal height of the cargo area will accommodate our larger than average dogs. Our old Jeep Cherokee had 36" of cargo height but most of the modern SUVs are way shorter some as short as 31"" or less and the dogs can not stand up or turn around in the vehicle.

We spent most of last summer running around to dealerships and looking at small SUVs to take measurements if anyone needs them.

Even better someone take BS measurements and I will make a comparison table of the real cargo dimensions between the competition and the Bronco Sport.

Ford Bronco Sport Ranger Tremor vs. Bronco Sport 14670742_1312501182141072_4843951119497137790_n (1)

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yes, the sport is taller than the competitors. That added height is what gives it more cargo volume. For example, the sports cargo area could be shorter in depth than the forester, but since it’s taller, it could have more cargo volume. I think some L*W*H dimensions would be helpful for you, especially since the forester is 10” longer than the sport.
Sponsored