Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
They hang so low that you are pretty much guaranteed to scrape them off-road.
Agreed. I would not consider these rock slide or rails. Typically a rock rail or rock slide can support the weight of the vehicle to prevent damage to the body. Normally mounted directly to the frame on a body on frame vehicle. The full size has them mounted to the body and claim they can support the weight of the vehicle but most are opting to change these to frame mounted for serious off roading.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Thanx!!
Aluminum? Better than nothing I guess. The BL skid is like 1/8" plate steel...

That with the Rally Inovations bumper skid would be awesome. But that would be around $600 for both
It’s a thick piece of aluminum. Not that makes it better than steel. I don’t plan on doing any rock climbing or even heavy duty off road. I just wanted more protection than what was provided, mainly for oddball road debris that might kick up and do damage. The future may bring something more substantial, but for the here and now, it’s all I can find.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Rivals 1/4” aluminum plate will take the same beating as the BL steel plate. I think it’ll be tougher since how they’ve designed it. You guys are over thinking it. Aluminum vs steel. These are grocery getters with the ability to off-road. The oil pan is the oem skid on non BL models. Add the rival, wheel it, be happy and protected. It is also priced really well for what they offer. If I didn’t have a badlands it would’ve been my first aftermarket part. Even before tires, lift. Hell I ordered one from them and was gonna put it on my BL. Just the door was opposite from what I needed. Regardless you still have to pull the skid to change the oil filter. So you’re taking off anyway, same as BL. Had 1/4” plate on my taco and beat that more than anybody on here ever will with their BS.
And those aren’t rock rails, they’re granny steps. You’ll lose like half your ground clearance with those. They’ll also fold into your body panels as soon as you drop the BS on a rock. Rock rails are beefy and low to body so they can take a hit and not reduce ground clearance and keep your vehicle damage free. There’s just no real solid mounting points on the BS tub. The Subaru ones mount to the LCA bolts. I wouldn’t do that on these.
600$ for nice protection isn’t bad. Replacing the oil Pan and other things while stuck on a trail isn’t fun. Had to do this on a wheeling trip with friends. A single skid would’ve saved a lot of time and aggravation. Buy once, cry once.
And if you haven’t wheeled your BS the center front is the lowest point on the vehicle. Most of my skid impacts are mid front bumper to where the oil pan sits before the crossmember. I’m lifted and on bigger tires and is same impact area.

Last edited:

vzepol

Big Bend
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
A sort of review. My installation failed. First, the winged fixture is kinda half ass. I do not see it holding its position when you will need it too. Second, The zinc coating on these "nuts" is so thick you can't work the bolt through. Emailed the company, their response is to work the bolt. I tried that, didn't work. If you get this kit be ready to buy a tap and chase the thread. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I will either chase the threads or get some right sized case hardened washers and tack nuts to them.
The plate itself appears beefy enough, should do the job. The holes line up fine. Customer service is not there.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
A sort of review. My installation failed. First, the winged fixture is kinda half ass. I do not see it holding its position when you will need it too. Second, The zinc coating on these "nuts" is so thick you can't work the bolt through. Emailed the company, their response is to work the bolt. I tried that, didn't work. If you get this kit be ready to buy a tap and chase the thread. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I will either chase the threads or get some right sized case hardened washers and tack nuts to them.
The plate itself appears beefy enough, should do the job. The holes line up fine. Customer service is not there.
Which product are you referring too?
Rival?

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
JCR Off-road just announced a full line of under body gear.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BSSD-GN-1G.html
It doesn't look like it covers the fuel and brake lines in front of the gas tank unfortunately.
And just going by the pictures it looks that the engine skid plate drops down some? That might not work with any of the bash plates.
At least their making parts for us, and their cheap!

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Now that we have some options from JCR and Rival, I would like to ask the more experienced folks out there what are all y'all thoughts? I was kind of leaning towards the Rival engine plate and then saw that JCR has a whole system of plates and covers. But, that is going to get heavy and expensive. What do you think in the best minimal protection option for our light roaders going forward? For someone who isn't going to take on Moab but would like some confidence on forest service roads and scenic trails? Is the Rival plate enough by itself? Should you add the cat converter cover too? Is the front bumper skid the most important of all? Thanks in advance.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Now that we have some options from JCR and Rival, I would like to ask the more experienced folks out there what are all y'all thoughts? I was kind of leaning towards the Rival engine plate and then saw that JCR has a whole system of plates and covers. But, that is going to get heavy and expensive. What do you think in the best minimal protection option for our light roaders going forward? For someone who isn't going to take on Moab but would like some confidence on forest service roads and scenic trails? Is the Rival plate enough by itself? Should you add the cat converter cover too? Is the front bumper skid the most important of all? Thanks in advance.
Not an expert yet but I was leaning towards the Rival plate (flat, light and minimalistic) along with a bash plate from Rally Inovations. Then JCR for the cat, underbelly and fuel tank.
Still waiting for rock rails that don't drastically reduce clearance.
Sponsored