RPYLE50

Outer Banks
First Name
Rowdy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Interesting. I thought all BS had a "low" range button in the middle of the gear knob. This may just be a lack of understanding on my part by what they mean as a "low" range typical of 4WD vehicles. Great review however of the non Badlands BS's!

CletusVanDam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Interesting. I thought all BS had a "low" range button in the middle of the gear knob. This may just be a lack of understanding on my part by what they mean as a "low" range typical of 4WD vehicles. Great review however of the non Badlands BS's!
I think the Low setting on non-Badlands isn't a 4wd-Low setting, but a standard low gear for hills that a lot of automatic transmission cars have. My 2wd Honda Accord had an "L" gear just like that. "4WD Low" is a different thing, often used for difficult rock-crawling and stuff like that.

Badlands doesn't have the Low, but it has the paddle shifters (where the Low button is on other models, badlands has a "manual" button) , so if I want to save my brakes on steep hills I can use the shifter and change to lower gears.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I think the Low setting on non-Badlands isn't a 4wd-Low setting, but a standard low gear for hills that a lot of automatic transmission cars have. My 2wd Honda Accord had an "L" gear just like that. "4WD Low" is a different thing, often used for difficult rock-crawling and stuff like that.

Badlands doesn't have the Low, but it has the paddle shifters (where the Low button is on other models, badlands has a "manual" button) , so if I want to save my brakes on steep hills I can use the shifter and change to lower gears.
Older cars had PRNDL1L2
That's right, they had 2 low gear selections on automatic trans cars.

TCBSport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport, 2012 Land Rover LR4 5.0L
By my old school definition, the BSport is not a true 4WD it is an AWD. To me true 4WD means a low range transfer case.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
From the Owner's Manual:
Low(L)
With your vehicle in drive (D), press the low (L) button to activate low mode.
  • Provides maximum engine braking.
  • You can shift the transmission into low (L) at any vehicle speed.
  • Is not for use under extended or normal driving conditions and results in lower fuel economy.
The clue there is the first bullet: "Provides maximum engine braking." This feature is meant to keep the transmission in the lower gears to prevent too much acceleration on a long downhill.
Sponsored