Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I soon found out that the wireless charger made my Samsung S22+ too hot to handle. Of coarse, wireless carplay didn't exist. I have a quadlock maglock case on my android phone and my wife has a maglock case on her iphone.
Wireless charging is very picky about alignment between the charging pad and phone. It's also sensitive to distance. Get the phone out of alignment with the charger--very easy to do as the phone slides around in the charging area--or too far away and the charger must work harder to get energy to the phone, which generates heat.
Sponsored

BS FE 21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
That is one of the good things about maglock. The phone self aligns when you throw it on the charger. The phone is held securely in place. When you pull the phone loose you have to pry up from the inside to keep from lifting the rubber pad in the tray. This is the natural way or picking up the phone so it becomes second nature. The only thing about maglock is that cases aren't available for all android phones. I think all iphones and most Samsung's are covered. I happen to have a Quadlock on my phone so I can use it on the bike.

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
That is one of the good things about maglock. The phone self alignsā€¦
@BS FE 21 do you happen to know what is the difference between MAG-LOCK and MagSafe? I did some googling already but didnā€™t find clear explanations.

I have an iPhone 13 in a MagSafe case and a Apple MagSafe Charger for home use - Wireless Charger with Fast Charging Capability, Type C Wall Charger, Compatible with iPhone and AirPods https://a.co/d/8chIRca

I also see MAG-LOCK products e.g. ā€¦ https://mycharge.com/products/mag-lock-3000mah-wireless-magnetic-magsafe-charger

BS FE 21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
@BS FE 21 do you happen to know what is the difference between MAG-LOCK and MagSafe? I did some googling already but didnā€™t find clear explanations.

I have an iPhone 13 in a MagSafe case and a Apple MagSafe Charger for home use - Wireless Charger with Fast Charging Capability, Type C Wall Charger, Compatible with iPhone and AirPods https://a.co/d/8chIRca

I also see MAG-LOCK products e.g. ā€¦ https://mycharge.com/products/mag-lock-3000mah-wireless-magnetic-magsafe-charger
I am probably using the wrong words. I think mag safe is the correct term. I've just been calling is mag lock because I have a quad lock case. Sorry for the confusion. I think any flat mag safe charger with a usb plug could be used in the Bronco Sport. Even the home mag safe charger could be used. Just use double sided tape to keep in place. The rubber pad in the Sport is removable so when you tape the mag safe down it can pull the rubber mat up if you try.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Geez, I feel sorry for the OP. All these replies about the uselessness of the OEM charging pad, and no one knows yet if all BS's come with the wiring plug to add the pad if a BS did not come with one.:facepalm:

BS FE 21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I was afraid that the built in BS charger would heat up when I taped the mag safe charger on top of it. So far no problems.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am probably using the wrong words. I think mag safe is the correct term. I've just been calling is mag lock because I have a quad lock case. I think any flat mag safe charger with a usb plug could be used in the Bronco Sport. Even the home mag safe charger could be used. Just use double sided tape to keep in place. The rubber pad in the Sport is removable so when you tape the mag safe down it can pull the rubber mat up if you try.
No problem I was just curious after looking for MAG-LOCK products

I like my Apple MagSafe Charger with USB Type C Wall Charger ā€¦ up to 15W provides Fast Charging Capability wherever thereā€™s a 110V outlet. The built-in Bronco Sport wireless pad is just 5W (really more like 3.3W with 33% going to heating the iPhone).

I should try plugging the MagSafe charger into the Badlands back seat console 110V (400W) outlet to charge my iPhone while itā€™s plugged into the USB-C port below the 8ā€ Display (for CarPlay).

But that should only confirm the iPhone will charge from its lightening port not the wireless MagSafe charger šŸ”Œ in that case. šŸ™ƒ

BS FE 21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Geez, I feel sorry for the OP. All these replies about the uselessness of the OEM charging pad, and no one knows yet if all BS's come with the wiring plug to add the pad if a BS did not come with one.:facepalm:
Nice if the BS built in charger works for you. I've seen the built in charger on ebay for a couple hundred. It would be pretty disappointing to spend that kind of money and then end up with something that doesn't work.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently no one knows the answer for OP. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø but it is still interesting discussion regardless

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I am probably using the wrong words. I think mag safe is the correct term. I've just been calling is mag lock because I have a quad lock case. Sorry for the confusion. I think any flat mag safe charger with a usb plug could be used in the Bronco Sport. Even the home mag safe charger could be used. Just use double sided tape to keep in place. The rubber pad in the Sport is removable so when you tape the mag safe down it can pull the rubber mat up if you try.
Just an FYI, Quadlock does offer MagSafe compatible cases for iPhone. I have the case, are car mount, and a desktop charger. I also use the standard Quadlock mount on the motorcycle.

For those that don't know, the standard Quadlock mount has some physical interlocking features that make it work for motorcycle or bicycle types of mounting where you would be concerned about an impact or vibration causing the phone to come off the mount. The physical interlocking features make it nearly impossible for a phone to come off the mount. There MagSafe line is meant more for situations where the phone would not be lost if something were to happen that caused it to release from the mount. The MagSafe mounting is secure enough and also very easy to engage or disengage. I put mine in the center console and have a wireless CarPlay adapter. The phone stays charged when I need that and I don't have to fiddle with a wire, or have that wire cluttering up the interior.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€¦ the standard Quadlock mount has physical interlocking features that make it work for motorcycle or bicycle types of mounting where you would be concerned about an impact or vibration causing the phone to come off the mount. ā€¦
I agree and I use lots of Quadlocks on multiple bikes for my Garmin bike computer, my Garmin bike radar device and even have a Quadlock wrist strap but thatā€™s bulky. Quadlock is a great system for interchangeability while providing a secure mount. I sometimes wish auto manufacturers would mold in a quadlock onto the dash (I donā€™t like the aftermarket solutions) in a convenient location for a phone. But then again I donā€™t use a quadlock case for my iPhone since itā€™s bulky and interferes itā€™s my MagSafe charger. I just plug into the USB-C port in the BS for both charging and CarPlay since my iPhone always seems to need a charge.
Sponsored