Slvoss

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport base
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. We finally took the bronco sport from Wyoming to polson Montana. And boom winter finally hit. To my surprise the bf Goodrich all terrain tires where not up to bar when it came to packed snow and slick conditions. The vehicle wanted to slide and track all over the place. I don’t drive fast but would like to drive comfortable. And the wind we had would push me around. Needles to say an 8.5 hr trip took over 12 hrs. Headed out this weekend to find different winter tires for more or less the highway driving conditions. Any recommendations? Or input? This was probably the first time I have ever very that u comfortable driving a vehicle on those type roads. I would have felt more coMfortable In the wife’s old front wheel drive fusion. Has anyone else felt that tracking or walking feeling or sliding? Because I had lots of other all wheel drive vehicles passing me no problem. All I have read so far is how awesome everyone’s BS is and so far on snowy road ways I am not.
Sponsored

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Welcome from a former Polson resident!

First, what air pressure is in your tires? I've found over the years that it's important to run the minimum amount of pressure to ensure good tread contact in slick conditions. You should have 33 psi cold. I picked up our BS last week and the air pressure was around 38 psi (cold) in all four tires - so I had to adjust.

What model BF Goodrich? I really like the AT KO2 tires and have found them to have really good traction in snow and icy conditions. They have a softer compound that has worked well in the 3 sets I've owned on other vehicles. I don't have any experience with the Trail T/A though.

With that being said, we run studded tires on our daily drivers during the winter. In fact yesterday I mounted a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 on our new BL. Even without studs, a dedicated winter tire will typically perform better than an AT tire.

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport

First, what air pressure is in your tires? I've found over the years that it's important to run the minimum amount of pressure to ensure good tread contact in slick conditions. You should have 33 psi cold. I picked up our BS last week and the air pressure was around 38 psi (cold) in all four tires - so I had to adjust.

What model BF Goodrich? I really like the AT KO2 tires and have found them to have really good traction in snow and icy conditions. They have a softer compound that has worked well in the 3 sets I've owned on other vehicles. I don't have any experience with the Trail T/A though.

With that being said, we run studded tires on our daily drivers during the winter. In fact yesterday I mounted a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 on our new BL. Even without studs, a dedicated winter tire will typically perform better than an AT tire.
Ford Bronco Sport Winter tires? 1640705469643

Goodyear WinterCommand. I've run this tire for years and no issues. I have a OB 18" all-season, placed 17" winters on (advice, use steel rims).

OP
OP

Slvoss

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport base

I put AT kO2 on there and it was very dicey. I stop and adjusted the pressure around 34 psi for the rest of the trip. That did not help much. It am currently looking into actual road winter drivers and just swap out during summer time. I found other tire reviews with vehicles similar to the same size as the BS and a lot of them had the same issue. I did take it off road I. About a foot of snow and the BFG AT KO2 worked great.
Also a curious question, how does yours handle? Through town and off road not driving fast seems to grip tight and ride well. But about 45 mph on snow packed roads it seems like it wants to track all over. But once again winter specific tires will help.
thanks, and nice talking with you!

OP
OP

Slvoss

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport base
put AT kO2 on there and it was very dicey. I stop and adjusted the pressure around 34 psi for the rest of the trip. That did not help much. It am currently looking into actual road winter drivers and just swap out during summer time. I found other tire reviews with vehicles similar to the same size as the BS and a lot of them had the same issue. I did take it off road I. About a foot of snow and the BFG AT KO2 worked great.
Also a curious question, how does yours handle? Through town and off road not driving fast seems to grip tight and ride well. But about 45 mph on snow packed roads it seems like it wants to track all over. But once again winter specific tires will help.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
I put AT kO2 on there and it was very dicey. I stop and adjusted the pressure around 34 psi for the rest of the trip. That did not help much. It am currently looking into actual road winter drivers and just swap out during summer time. I found other tire reviews with vehicles similar to the same size as the BS and a lot of them had the same issue. I did take it off road I. About a foot of snow and the BFG AT KO2 worked great.
I haven't noticed any adverse handling yet, but until this morning had less than 100 miles on the vehicle and we don't have a lot of snow packed conditions.

Curious, did you try any of the other GOAT modes?

OP
OP

Slvoss

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport base
I haven't noticed any adverse handling yet, but until this morning had less than 100 miles on the vehicle and we don't have a lot of snow packed conditions.

Curious, did you try any of the other GOAT modes?
Yes we did, slippery mode , and that didnt help much at all. We got 4K on ours now after this trip. So I guess we will see once the new tires arrive.

Roland

First Edition
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Had the same problem up in Billings. Switched to Blizzak DMV2s which were on sale at Costco. Have more grip now.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
@Slvoss When it comes to snow if you are driving in actual snow and not making contact with the road, you need to air down even more. Try around 25psi when you are no longer in contact with the pavement. AT tires have the extra sidewall tread for this purpose, as you lower the pressure you create more surface area to grab the snow with.

Jonnie T

Badlands
First Name
Jonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Had the same problem up in Billings. Switched to Blizzak DMV2s which were on sale at Costco. Have more grip now.
Up here, I've had the best success with Blizzak WS80 tires, especially on icy roads. Used them on all my previous vehicles in the past for winter tires, and, got a new set installed on the Badlands (on winter rims) when I picked it up.

yakyak

Big Bend
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I use Bridgestone Blizzaks here in Anchorage area and they are awesome!! Very confident on the road and sticky on ice (granted ice is still ice). Would highly recommend the Blizzaks to anyone in need of a dedicated winter tire.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I've been using blizzaks on all of our vehicles for the last 20 years during the winter months, which is the biggest part of the year. They work well.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I have extra set of wheels with snow tires mounted for all my vehicles. I'm in Syracuse, NY, and we get our share of snow. People think about getting stuck in snow, but I think braking and handling are much more important issues. As an added bonus, the extra set of tires probably doubles the life expectancy of your conventional tires.

122 Turbo

Badlands
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Sport, 19 F-150 Lariat, 82 Capri RS
I have extra set of wheels with snow tires mounted for all my vehicles. I'm in Syracuse, NY, and we get our share of snow. People think about getting stuck in snow, but I think braking and handling are much more important issues. As an added bonus, the extra set of tires probably doubles the life expectancy of your conventional tires.
Very true., braking and handling is priority. What winters do you run?
Sponsored