Anyone tried 215/70r17 tires for winter?

Brissdenice

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi I'm shopping for winter tires for my badland and since it's a family car that me and my girlfriend drives with 2 kids in the back we want really good winter tires. I like the Bridgestone blizzak dm-v2 and they make them in 215/70r17. It's common to hear that narrower tires is better in ice and snow. (But not on dry asphalt) But 215 is it too narrow? Narrower contact patch might help with fuel mileage too. I searched the forum and nobody talk about that size. 215/70 is 28.9 in diameter and 8,7 in width. They also make 235/70 Wich are wider and have a bigger diameter. I know most of the time ground clearance isn't an issue but sometime it is a plus. I live in northern Canada and we have a lot of snow. I also work on a 24/24h on call schedule so I have to respond under 5 minutes to arrive to work and being able to bulldozer my way trough snow is a plus.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
It's an interesting theory... Dropping down to the 215/75 would give you ample sidewall to air down for off-road or deep snow. I'd be interested to hear how it went

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
215 is not too narrow and 29" will not rub. If I were buying snow tires, that is probably what I would get. On my Golf R here in Denver, the winter tires were 205 and the summer tires were 235 (stock width was 225). Cutting through the fluff and slush to get to the traction is what you want for winter. Of course if you can get more clearance for the heavy snowfalls, that is always a benefit.
Sponsored