Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So a rock did a thing.

I’m in Phoenix AZ and just about…. Ok every time…. One goes on the freeway you hear a ping here or a ping there. It’s just a thing out here.

I heard one but didn’t see any damage. Came out of the Drs office to a 1ft crack in the windshield. The rock hit literally right at the edge of the glass. Lucky (unlucky) hit. So the whole thing is getting replaced today (and camera recalibrated).

I’ve had windshields replaced before, never saw them have to start disassembly before. Interesting.

Using Safelight as always. Didn’t even have to wait. I guess the glass is now easier to get ahold of.

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Replacement looks complicated 83F92EBB-33A4-4CA3-996F-DC8987836AE0
Sponsored

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Had a bad experience with Safelite. They came to repair a small crack and decided it wasn't worth their time I guess, so they made it into a non repairable crack and then told me I had to get a new windshield.

Yeah, nicks in the windshield are a way of life around here.

gibsonc7r

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecosport
I placed a claim through Safelite and took mine to the dealer for a replacement. I’d rather let them do the recalibration.

OP
OP
Folkman

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How long did it take him to figure out 🤣
he knew right off the bat. He has done many apparently.

I placed a claim through Safelite and took mine to the dealer for a replacement. I’d rather let them do the recalibration.
Seems to be fine. I’ve always had good luck with safelight.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So a rock did a thing.

I’m in Phoenix AZ and just about…. Ok every time…. One goes on the freeway you hear a ping here or a ping there. It’s just a thing out here.

I heard one but didn’t see any damage. Came out of the Drs office to a 1ft crack in the windshield. The rock hit literally right at the edge of the glass. Lucky (unlucky) hit. So the whole thing is getting replaced today (and camera recalibrated).

I’ve had windshields replaced before, never saw them have to start disassembly before. Interesting.

Using Safelight as always. Didn’t even have to wait. I guess the glass is now easier to get ahold of.

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Replacement looks complicated 83F92EBB-33A4-4CA3-996F-DC8987836AE0
great to hear you had quick service. It's one of the reasons I went full glass coverage on all my cars. It's $4 per car per year for me...worth every dollar.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Here smashed windshields are such a fact of life I don’t even think you can get glass coverage. It’s just a wear item. Usually you drive around with it until it gets really smashed. Glad the glass is easy to get ahold of now, hope the repair works out!

OP
OP
Folkman

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
great to hear you had quick service. It's one of the reasons I went full glass coverage on all my cars. It's $4 per car per year for me...worth every dollar.
that’s why I have it through Allstate. It’s cheap and worth every penny. No deductible.

DatWayMon

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Drove from LA to Moab over the Memorial Day Weekend. Did about 500 miles of off-road driving on top of the approximately 1500 miles of highway driving. I almost made it home unscathed when I guess I caught a rock as I was descending the Cajon Pass.

It hit about chin high next to the A pillar right where the glue holds the window. It instantly created a foot long crack right across my field of view.

As soon as I got home I went online to Geico and processed the claim and scheduled the replacement and recalibration with Safelite without speaking to a single person. My comprehensive insurance covered the cost minus my deductible.

A few days later I took my BS to their shop in Gardena, CA where they had the OEM windshield installed and the front facing camera recalibrated in 1h 45m.

They emailed me the Recalibration Certification and I took the opportunity on my drive home to jump on the freeway and test the adaptive cruise control, lane assist and lane centering. Everything worked perfectly.

I previously used the same Safelite location to replace the windshield on my 2003 F-250 and was equally happy with the results.

OP
OP
Folkman

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Drove from LA to Moab over the Memorial Day Weekend. Did about 500 miles of off-road driving on top of the approximately 1500 miles of highway driving. I almost made it home unscathed when I guess I caught a rock as I was descending the Cajon Pass.

It hit about chin high next to the A pillar right where the glue holds the window. It instantly created a foot long crack right across my field of view.

As soon as I got home I went online to Geico and processed the claim and scheduled the replacement and recalibration with Safelite without speaking to a single person. My comprehensive insurance covered the cost minus my deductible.

A few days later I took my BS to their shop in Gardena, CA where they had the OEM windshield installed and the front facing camera recalibrated in 1h 45m.

They emailed me the Recalibration Certification and I took the opportunity on my drive home to jump on the freeway and test the adaptive cruise control, lane assist and lane centering. Everything worked perfectly.

I previously used the same Safelite location to replace the windshield on my 2003 F-250 and was equally happy with the results.
Yup.

all worked out on my end too. Minus a deductible cause I don’t have one.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
These guys do it all the time. It’s really no big deal. My brother worked in the glass business for over 50 years. He’s retired mainly because Safelite took most of his business because of their involvement with the insurance companies. He still does jobs on occasion for body shops mainly on older or custom cars as Safelite won’t or can’t do them. Most dealers do not have glass installers. They outsource that work.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It's a lot more job than it used to be for sure. It's not a do it yourself one either. If you can get one, the cost of a $0 glass deductible rider on the insurance is probably worth it. For like $20 a year it would likely take just one windshield replacement in 25 years to pay off.

Safelite is sort of hit or miss for me. They have a good racket going on with the insurance people. Last vehicle I had over 190,000 miles before having to replace the windshield. Safelite came to me, put in nearly-OEM glass. F'd up the rubber pillar trim that sort of went over a pinch weld to frame the window. I found out later that GM makes those sort of one-use. A good company would replace them along with the glass. I drove for like two weeks and the new glass stress cracked or something. There was no evidence I could see of a rock or anything. Got a 2' long break while just parked in my garage. Had to wait for a second time while the Safelite warranty inspector came out and determined that something must have hit the very, very tip edge of the glass. You know, the sort of magic damage that only their professional can see, so they could void the warranty.

Get the $0 deductible...

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
It's a lot more job than it used to be for sure. It's not a do it yourself one either. If you can get one, the cost of a $0 glass deductible rider on the insurance is probably worth it. For like $20 a year it would likely take just one windshield replacement in 25 years to pay off.

Safelite is sort of hit or miss for me. They have a good racket going on with the insurance people. Last vehicle I had over 190,000 miles before having to replace the windshield. Safelite came to me, put in nearly-OEM glass. F'd up the rubber pillar trim that sort of went over a pinch weld to frame the window. I found out later that GM makes those sort of one-use. A good company would replace them along with the glass. I drove for like two weeks and the new glass stress cracked or something. There was no evidence I could see of a rock or anything. Got a 2' long break while just parked in my garage. Had to wait for a second time while the Safelite warranty inspector came out and determined that something must have hit the very, very tip edge of the glass. You know, the sort of magic damage that only their professional can see, so they could void the warranty.

Get the $0 deductible...
They are all glued in now days with urethane glue. The days of rubber gaskets and cord rope installs are over for anything new. The biggest issue is that most insurance companies will direct you to a company they deal with on a national basis. The mom and pop shops are left cutting mirrors or doing industrial jobs like construction trucks etc. it was a good gig while it lasted.

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
So a rock did a thing.

Had factory one replaced in Canada one month ago, 1800.00! Thankfully had 200.00 deductible. Get to AZ for winter, bam, another rock. Will have to wait until we get home to get another replacement and yes the glass shop sublet to dealer for camera calibration.
Sponsored