BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Interesting data and this is definitely making its way around the forum world.

Couple points that weren't necessarily raised by the video creator:

--Flex on static items is a narrow data set
--Real world trail ability test is missing.
--Real world street test is missing
--Changing the load rating of the tire would likely produce a different outcome. (a softer sidewall would equal more flex on either. )

I'd like to see him run the same line on the same trail to show the difference of how each width reacts for starters.

I like this creator generally speaking and he tends to be very thorough, but I think he needs some more data points.

BTW: I've run pizza cutters on my trucks over wider profiles for a number of years and in the majority of the off-roading I've ever done there's never been a need for more "float" provided by a wider tire. This includes deep, soft sand.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Considering the tire sizes that fit the BS, the differences in width from the standard OEM BS tire sizes is not nearly as great as the example tire sizes used in the You Tube video
For the BS it's more about the tires diameter and tread pattern.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Considering the tire sizes that fit the BS, the differences in width from the standard OEM BS tire sizes is not nearly as great as the example tire sizes used in the You Tube video
For the BS it's more about the tires diameter and tread pattern.
Yes. But by moving up to 245's you gain both width and height over 235's. That's a good thang, right?

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Found this pretty cool video on YouTube discussing Wide vs Narrow tires.

Bonus points on the Baja Boss tires!
Good video, the first answer to this question, based on science. Only shortcoming, no real life evaluation, with data on the field. But convincing anyways.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Yes. But by moving up to 245's you gain both width and height over 235's. That's a good thang, right?
A 245 is wider but a 235 is not necessarily shorter. A 235/70/17 is about the same diameter as a 245/65/17.

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I watched that last night. Some interesting data.
I have noticed in my Big Bend that with 245/65/17 the lack of power makes the transmission suffer and heats faster making the system to fail and go on limp mode. I will try lighter tires with gravel grip. What thoughts you have ?

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I have noticed in my Big Bend that with 245/65/17 the lack of power makes the transmission suffer and heats faster making the system to fail and go on limp mode. I will try lighter tires with gravel grip. What thoughts you have ?
You might want to look at the Goodyear wrangler workhorse 235/70/17 it is 33 lbs and the true diameter is exactly 30 inch . I have been running them on my first edition for about 5 months now , great ride with no power loss and no difference than my stock 235/65/17 .

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison IMG_1107

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison IMG_0820

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison IMG_0816

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison IMG_0818

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
can i rock 235/70/17s with just my lift?
I have 235/70/17 on my First Edition badlands now for 10 months, no issues at all , mine are a true 30 inch and that is a hand measuring. I have Goodyear wrangler workhorse, they would be .a 1/2 inch taller than a 245/65/17 depending on the manufacturer. Lock to lock and compressed . No rub at all , is it close, yes . Check out my pictures. Last picture is a test 2025 bronco sport , look closely they are Goodyear 30 inch / 235/ 70/17 . Looks good and rides perfect. A 245/70/17 Goodyear wrangler workhorse is 30.6 inch true measure We installed it on my bs and it definitely rubbed the felt liners in the front at the left and right.

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison IMG_1048

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison IMG_0816

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison IMG_0813

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison IMG_1319

Last edited:

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I just put 245/70/17 BFG KO2s on my stock Big Bend. I haven’t noticed any rubbing. 1.5L turns them just fine. I’m sure they would rub when off roading but this car is strictly highway use. I’ll throw on a small spring lift in the future.

TSO_NJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD Bronco Sport OBX
The original "pizza cutter tires" on a off-road vehicle? Now I'm curious about the Mil-Spec documents and the thinking behind the design and selection.

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison the_legendary_willys_jeep_off_road_action

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
@Jrl is the expert on that tire size, see his post. Otherwise, just know that lifting the BS does not change the issue with tire rub. You would have to lift the BS somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6” before it would help with rubbing.

The original "pizza cutter tires" on a off-road vehicle? Now I'm curious about the Mil-Spec documents and the thinking behind the design and selection.

Ford Bronco Sport Wide vs Narrow Tires — a Scientific Comparison the_legendary_willys_jeep_off_road_action
In the 1930’s-40’s, those were wide tires! Now, pretty much every vehicle on the road has wider tires. Beyond that, there are times when narrow tires are better than wider tires (mud and slushy snow come to mind).

Can you imagine how scary 100+ mph (see max speed in image) in that short wheelbase Jeep with 1930’s suspension would be?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
@Jrl is the expert on that tire size, see his post. Otherwise, just know that lifting the BS does not change the issue with tire rub. You would have to lift the BS somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6” before it would help with rubbing.

In the 1930’s-40’s, those were wide tires! Now, pretty much every vehicle on the road has wider tires. Beyond that, there are times when narrow tires are better than wider tires (mud and slushy snow come to mind).

Can you imagine how scary 100+ mph (see max speed in image) in that short wheelbase Jeep with 1930’s suspension would be?
If my father was still alive, he would gladly tell you. He was a tank driver during the war and VA day, there wasn't much need for tank drivers and even before that after they crossed the Rhine, he drove the scouts up to the forward positions in a Jeep. After VA day, they liberated Czechoslovakia and he would ferry mucky-muckd from Prague to Paris up to the winter of 46 when he finally got discharged. He would never let me have a Jeep while I still lived at home because of how easily they would tip over. He had some scary stories to tell of his Jeep adventures.
Sponsored