Why Sport vs Base model full-size Bronco?

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The Bronco is currently unobtainium. The bronco sport is in short supply but you might be in one this summer if you ordered this year. ( buying off the lot is never going to happen I have never bought a vehicle like that ever).
The sport has most everything I want. Good looks and different from 99.99% of the typical slobs in grey or black SUV's. It is built on fairly well proven platform. For 99.9% of the time like most of us it will be on the street so it has to drive ok on road. Off road will be fun for a very few occasions. The rest if the stuff is 'whatever' they all have similiar bells and whistles. Missing , I would like the badland in a 2 door option, haven't needed 4 doors for 40 years! I wish the towing spec was a little higher but I frequently tow above spec so what the heck ( just don't go crazy). The bronc 2D I doubt will be a nice road vehicle and with the optioned up price it's crazy , doesn't make sense unless you want to do serious off-road stuff which is what they are making it for . Cheers Warren
Sponsored

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Iā€™m 6ā€™6ā€ rear legroom is non existent when Iā€™m driving. But plenty of room for me.
hi, how do you like you BL cyber orange? I ordered same 2 weeks ago , did you get the matching 'orange trim interior'?
I'm probably looking at July for mine...

Reactions: Jrl

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I need something I can use to get the canoes down fire roads to the canoe launch but also get good gas mileage and ride smooth on the highway for daily driving. Off road for me is only the last couple miles of a 150 mile trip. The Bronco Sport fits that nicely. Pretty sure that's what Ford intended it for.

BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
For me, I was between a suburu forester sport, bronco sport badlands, and 2d bronco. Mind you, in addition to handing my active lifestyle of hiking, backpacking, snow boarding, mountain biking, over landing, taking it on to the beach, it was going to be my daily driver. The bronco sport badlands fell right in the sweet spot of what I was looking for in terms of off road capability and on road comfort. IMO surpassing the suburu in off road and ā€œwowā€ factor and beating the full size in on road comfort and MPG.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I went with the sport for the simple fact, dollars and sense. The dollars for what I want, the sport comes out cheaper upfront and long term. I will not spend each weekend mudding but weather here is unpredictable year round. The appearance and nostalgia were a big factor not to mention availability. I have a lease ending in June, this was a good transition. So for the sense of it...the bronco sport just made the most sense. Ordering a full bronco I'm looking at 2022 or heck 2023 by the shape of things. Just not worth that wait. Maybe five or ten years from now I'll be ready to make a switch.

bronco_wv

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Rapid Red
The bronco sport is in short supply but you might be in one this summer if you ordered this year. ( buying off the lot is never going to happen I have never bought a vehicle like that ever).
Buying off the lot is the only reason I'm in my BS BB now. I haven't had any bad experiences in buying what is available and in stock, be it Subaru, Jeep, Dodge, and now this Bronco. I had to drive 2 hours each way to get the vehicle, but I am very pleased!

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
I bought the sport because it will get to most every campsite or trailhead I want, and still fits in compact parking spots. I would have bought a Toyota or Subaru if the new ones didnā€™t have such terrible approach angles. Easy clean flooring and cargo area was a nice plus on the BL, also hard to find now. I would consider a 2-door bronco or wrangler if I mostly parallel parked, as theyā€™re shorter, but I have a narrow carport at home. Often times at work, a narrow vehicle saves me 20 minutes parking and walking.

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I went with the sport over the real Bronco for a few reasons.

1. It was available.
2. I'm averaging 29 mpg+ so far and the big Bronco will probably get similar mileage to the Tacoma I sold, which wasn't great.
3. I was honest with myself and admitted that I have no intentions to actually get back into off-roading again. (I used to do rock crawling and had purpose built jeeps for it)
4. The tow rating on the big Bronco is laughable so I bought a sport and an older full size truck to use for towing and house chores.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Buying off the lot is the only reason I'm in my BS BB now. I haven't had any bad experiences in buying what is available and in stock, be it Subaru, Jeep, Dodge, and now this Bronco. I had to drive 2 hours each way to get the vehicle, but I am very pleased!
Me too, bought my BL off the lot with 60 miles on it. Couldn't be happier and I haven't seen another bs on the road yet.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
My current vehicle is already letting me down. My mariner is leaking water from roof for the 2nd time. Also the engine oil Leak is staining my concrete driveway. I have to go to the office now. I need a vehicle this year. Not next year or 2023.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
And yes, I had them both loaded. 2020 was a year of three cancers and a lovely week of being blind. It gives one a different perspective! With the push from my wife after all that, she said, get what you want.
Wow, that was a rough year for you. Iā€™m glad you made it!

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
My current vehicle is already letting me down. My mariner is leaking water from roof for the 2nd time. Also the engine oil Leak is staining my concrete driveway. I have to go to the office now. I need a vehicle this year. Not next year or 2023.
I feel your pain...My 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport has seen better days. I have tried to maintain the thing as best as I could without sinking a ton of money into it. It has 14 NY State winters on it and the salt does its damage to all sorts of body panels, parts, bolts, nuts and transmission and brake lines, etc, lack of good heat, little things breaking here and there , and I had a leak too that I had to repair from the windshield due to body corrosion from salt that I sealed up before winter. Of course I haven't had a payment since December 2012 so that has been good and the free lifetime powertrain warranty has helped a few times. Having two college age kids with cross-over can be financially taxing to a family. I have sacrificed things a bit the last couple of years so as not to dump too much money into parts/repairs (many done by myself) knowing that it is approaching the point of diminishing returns and our kids needed money for college expenses. Our oldest is coming up on his last year of university and daughter finishing up her first and some money will be freed up here shortly and it is time to treat myself to a new utilitarian vehicle once again for my daily commute, forging through lake effect snows as well fulfilling my hunting and fishing needs. I probably do more off pavement driving than most people with a 4X4 SUV, but I didn't see a really need for a to justify the Badlands model and extra cost when the reality is that probably over 98% of my annual driving is on pavement/concrete. Full size Bronco would be overkill. My son will use my Jeep this summer to commute for his engineering internship and I will put up the Jeep for cheap on Craigslist or to the salvage yard. I definitely got my money's worth out of the Jeep. Looking forward to the delivery of my new Ford BS BB with BB pkg with everything working properly(it has been a while ?) and not having to say a little prayer when inserting and turning the key along with heated seats in winter and much, much better fuel economy.

mooredl1

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ford
I'll, chime in. I was looking for a vehicle that was this size. Had a 2L turbo engine, 4wd and had most of the bells and whistles for under $40k. I also liked the test drive of the BL and the design. Those are the big reasons. I did price out a Bronco 4d, with the same options as the BL. A lot more money. I really don't take it into the situations that would require the Bronco so this is going to fit the bill. For the occasional logging road and snow, this will be great. Comparing it to the other options: Jeep Compass, Subaru, & Rav4. To me this is a clear winner in style. The Subaru and Rav4 beat it in gas mileage, the Jeep is underpowered. Hope this explains my decision. I've owned Jeeps and others. For my current needs this is great choice.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I donā€™t anything as big as a Bronco. I need something that can reliably get me to work year round in all sorts of weather, and carry some kayaks and bicycles. Iā€™ve owned many Subarus and would be content with another but figured I try out the BS. The Bronco would be overkill for my needs.
Sponsored