fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
Anyone know which turbo Ford uses for the Badlands? Can't find it anywhere. Are they still using K03s?
Sponsored

TSP Overland

Outer Banks
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Anyone know which turbo Ford uses for the Badlands? Can't find it anywhere. Are they still using K03s?
We're late to respond here, but the 2.0L Bronco Sport runs a twin-scroll turbocharger, unlike the 1.5L motor's single scroll turbo. Ford doesn't list it as a K03S, as the turbo is incorporated into the manifold as one piece.

Part Number: K2GZ6K682B

Last edited:

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
We're late to respond here, but the 2.0L Bronco Sport runs a twin-scroll turbocharger, unlike the 1.5L motor's single scroll turbo. Ford doesn't list it as a K03S, as the turbo is incorporated into the manifold as one piece.

Part Number: K2GZ6K682B
I can't find it in concrete anywhere, but most conjecture is that the BS BL 2.0 turbo inlet diameter is 2.5 in (or 63mm). Would you concur with that?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I can't find it in concrete anywhere, but most conjecture is that the BS BL 2.0 turbo inlet diameter is 2.5 in (or 63mm). Would you concur with that?
@Mrmike has specs and docs I think so might know

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
@Mrmike has specs and docs I think so might know
Thank you. Trying to fabricate a silicone coupler with a bung for my dual valve catchcan solution. Wanna try and be as sure as I can before I start ordering the bits and spending unnecessary money.

patmat2350

Heritage
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Heritage Ltd
"the turbo is incorporated into the manifold as one piece. "

Not quite right. While there was a 2L turbo that had a fabricated sheet metal 4-into-1 manifold combined with turbine housing (and it was a K03 turbo), the current engine has an "IEM" head (integrated exhaust manifold), where the 4-into-2 runners are water cooled and cast into the head, and the turbo has a twin scroll turbine housing...not sure if it's Garrett or BW at this point.

From parts.ford.com... the 9448 gasket shows the 2-runner port shape at the head.

Ford Bronco Sport Which Turbo on the 2.0? Screenshot 2023-08-07 164001

Last edited:
OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
"the turbo is incorporated into the manifold as one piece. "

Not quite right. While there was a 2L turbo that had a fabricated sheet metal 4-into-1 manifold combined with turbine housing (and it was a K03 turbo), the current engine has an "IEM" head (integrated exhaust manifold), where the 4-into-2 runners are water cooled and cast into the head, and the turbo has a twin scroll turbine housing...not sure if it's Garrett or BW at this point.

From parts.ford.com... the 9448 gasket shows the 2-runner port shape at the head.

Ford Bronco Sport Which Turbo on the 2.0? Screenshot 2023-08-07 164001
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404354761731?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Yl6wBEtQT_S&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

According to a friend who rebuilds turbos the one in this listing has a borg Warner stamping on it.

patmat2350

Heritage
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Heritage Ltd
Earlier 2L model with fabricated sheet metal manifold/turbo- from the linked article: "The engine with a separate exhaust manifold is the leader around consumer messages about problems with 2.0l EcoBoost engines. The main subject is an exhaust manifold itself. The stainless steel exhaust manifold is prone to cracking and further destruction at relatively low mileage ..."

Uh yep. Designed by a Volvo engineer as a cost reduction (compared to a solid cast stainless 4-into-1 manifold+ turbo). Actually cost a fortune and it broke. Ford sold Volvo, someone from Dearborn had to step into the mess. I got 14 trips to Europe out of it.

The IEM (long water-cooled runners in the aluminum head) allowed for a real reduced cost (and more reliable) turbo with a conventional cast stainless turbine housing and no intermediate exhaust manifold- the one we see today. Only downside is that cooling that extra bit of exhaust runners in the head puts a BIG increase on cooling system demand. So don't do anything that blocks your radiator!
Sponsored