davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I have a 2023 Big Bend without factory installed remote start. I would probably buy the Perimeter Plus Security System which adds remote start.

So should I buy the keypad for vehicles with or without factory remote start? Since the Security System is Ford, would that be considered factory?
Sponsored

OP
OP
davidg4781

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Can you use Fordpass app to remote start?
My BS doesn't have real remote start, but I can remote start with the app.
Yes.

I'm looking for the keypad to leave my keys, and maybe even my phone, in the BS and keep it locked. Even if I keep my phone/watch with me, sometimes cell service isn't good enough for the app.

And I'm considering buying the Perimeter Plus for the security part, not so much the remote start.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have a 2023 Big Bend without factory installed remote start. I would probably buy the Perimeter Plus Security System which adds remote start.

So should I buy the keypad for vehicles with or without factory remote start? Since the Security System is Ford, would that be considered factory?
This seems like a question for a Ford rep.

Palom0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2021 Wildtrak, Carbonized Gray

David,
I'd appreciate if you let me know how did the programming of the keypad into the BS go. I got mine (for Remote Start) but the Ford Dealer down here in Argentina doe snot know how to get it to work. Any tips from the dealer that you can gather can be of help. Thanks

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm

TL;DR: if your factory key fob has the button for remote start, you choose that option. Otherwise, choose the option without remote start. Perimeter Plus does not change this. In your case, you do not have factory remote start, so choose the option without. Do note that keypad setup will likely require paying the dealer a visit (and paying them) to program it to the vehicle.

In more detail:

When a Bronco Sport is built with Remote Start from the factory, it is what Ford refers to as long range with confirmation. Basically, the signal reaches farther so you might start the vehicle from inside a building or across the parking lot. The confirmation part means the vehicle sends a response to the fob if it starts, and an LED on the fob lights up green. That means that the fob has to work from farther away than a normal fob. To do this, they use a different radio frequency that reaches farther. Think of it like tuning into AM instead of FM, if that means anything to you.

The battery powered stick-on SecuriCode keypads use the same radio frequency connection as your key fobs. This is why you see two different options, with and without factory remote start - it needs to use the right frequency (MHz) to talk to the vehicle.

Perimeter Plus does not change this. You would continue to use your factory key fob that does not have a dedicated remote start button. Instead, there's a sequence of buttons that you press (something like lock, unlock, lock) to trigger a remote start. Note that because this option does not replace the key fobs or the antenna, the range is not as long as it would be with the factory installed option.

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I may be out to lunch on this issue, but I have no interest in remote start. Just my honest opinion. I don't need to get the car warmed up or cooled down before I enter the car.

OP
OP
davidg4781

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I may be out to lunch on this issue, but I have no interest in remote start. Just my honest opinion. I don't need to get the car warmed up or cooled down before I enter the car.
Here in South Texas... I feel the same. The only time I've used the "warm up" part is during a heavy freeze when I had to get to work early. Not much for me but to help get the ice melted sooner.

I appreciate the detailed response, @jsus !

OP
OP
davidg4781

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Ok, I'm going to order this. I'll have to pay the dealer to install it, though.

Ford's accessory page has the installation for $24. My dealership says they won't do it and I'll have to pay their rate of $160. Do I just call around and ask dealers if they'll do it for the $24?
Sponsored