Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I always called it a suicide knob. First saw it on a farm/ranch tractor at a monastery in UT 50 years ago. An uncle was a monk.

Just searched. Has a Wiki page. Lots of names.

Wonder if it's a regional thing. Anyone do the NY Times dialect quiz?

I talk like Yonkers (mom born in the Bronx) and Patterson/Newark, NJ (dad born in Garfield) I talk least like New Orleans, SLC, and Seattle.
We called them suicide knobs in the Midwest as well.
Sponsored

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
What is everyone doing with their right hand now that Ford has removed most if not all of it's stick shifters? I always rested my right hand on the shifter in my Escape. Now driving the Bronco, I don't now where to put it. Seems strange.

Use your imagination...:D

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
As mostly a manual driver, my foot wasn’t near the brake pedal much, but I will say I did use the brake more than the tranny to slow down as brake pads and rotors are way easier to change these days compared to clutches in transverse engines. That being said, I don’t recall having to change more frequently than 50k miles or so. But to be fair, I don’t recall what I had for breakfast either.
I think my FIL was a two-footed driver. He was always doing the brakes on his cars.

How long did it take the stick drivers to not look for a clutch to depress with your left foot when starting an automatic? :)
Took me years, and when I was driving that Hot Rod Lincoln and was trashed I kicked the floor hard. :’)

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Brodie knobs/suicide knobs/spinners are a state by state issue. Having learned to drive in CA, as a teenager, I was told they were illegal. That was the late 70’s. In fact, there was an episode of ‘Eight is Enough’ where one of the teens put one on the station wagon. Dad was too smart for the kid. They are still mentioned in CA code as only being legal on certain types of steering. Some states limit them to use by disabled persons, to aid in steering. I can see where they would come in handy, if you are missing a hand or arm. I think I wouldn’t want one, especially if there is a teen or young adult driver in my home. Too much room for error in an inexperienced driver. Just my 2¢.
That episode of Eight is Enough is exactly what I thought of when I saw the post about the knob.

mwright88

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
What is everyone doing with their right hand now that Ford has removed most if not all of it's stick shifters? I always rested my right hand on the shifter in my Escape. Now driving the Bronco, I don't now where to put it. Seems strange.
That is used for road raging

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey all,
well ... never thought of it as a problem ... never came to mind. Aside that a shift stick is completely meaningless unless you have a manual transmission, I can see your point on resting the right hand on something ... but, how about steering for a change? Anyways ... love the knob!! (knobs)
Cheers

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Yeah the dial shifter has kinda grown on me.
Now if I really need something to play with while I drive, well,
Use your imagination, I did !
:’P

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My Jeep JT has a transmission stick and a 4x4 stick, but I still just lean my elbow on the center console, not putting my hand on anything. Very comfortable. Use center console, let hand hang.

I do love the fact they did not go to the dial.

Ford Bronco Sport Where is my stick shifter DB1F7C6D-F10E-4A87-AFCD-7333F836C4B9

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Yeah the dial shifter has kinda grown on me.
Now if I really need something to play with while I drive, well,
Use your imagination, I did !
:’P
Just don't pull a Jeffrey Toobin, if you get my drift........ :crackup:

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
My Jeep JT has a transmission stick and a 4x4 stick, but I still just lean my elbow on the center console, not putting my hand on anything. Very comfortable. Use center console, let hand hang.

I do love the fact they did not go to the dial.

Ford Bronco Sport Where is my stick shifter DB1F7C6D-F10E-4A87-AFCD-7333F836C4B9
Imagine there being a wireless phone charger right in front of that shifter. That is one of the reasons to not have a shifter...it opens access to the space in front of it.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Imagine there being a wireless phone charger right in front of that shifter. That is one of the reasons to not have a shifter...it opens access to the space in front of it.
I was excited about the wireless phone charger in the BS and made sure that was in my order of the BS, but my phone has a tough case on it and it wouldn’t charge.

With my other car, the JT. there is already a lot is stuff right in front of my shifter. There is no free space anyway on the JT even if you did a shifter delete LOL. With all the offroad features and window controllers (doors off) all space is taken right behind the shifter. You just learn to reach around it :) My phone sits in a bulletpoint holder and hooks into the usb charging and doing apple car play at same time

Whle the dial is cool on the BS, in a Jeep it would just lose its…..cultural look.

Ford Bronco Sport Where is my stick shifter 0C14A484-0CCF-4D3D-B2C7-940CC2BE677F

Ford Bronco Sport Where is my stick shifter 53617135-F65E-47C3-9106-E0A724C4DAC2

Last edited:

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Or imagine having the shifter on the column like the first escapes had.

phone charger? pftt you could almost fit a gallon of milk between the lower dash and the center console. :)

Why they had to relocate everything and waste space on the center console...I don't know. They could have left it on the column and had it electronic with no linkage.

Ford Bronco Sport Where is my stick shifter BFA8B05B-67D6-4F55-BA41-E46652E8CC56