What dealer markups did you get on your Bronco Sport?

Ryneal21

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I was a service advisor for Nissan for several years and have seen the added warranties pay off in the LONG run but one should not buy and extended warranty out the gate. These can be added whenever you want. What most people (in the business) tend to hide or not discuss once you get into the finance office is that you have the factory warranty that protects you for 3 years or 36k miles which ever comes first. That will always be used first and for most as extended warranties will not pay for a repair as long as its under any FACTORY warranty.

Once that runs out there could be an argument made to purchase a extended warranty to get SOME of the bumper to bumper protection back. Please realize that its very rare that an extended warranty will be as extensive as a FACTORY bumper to bumper and if it is you will def pay a premium.

With that a side you still have your FACTORY 5 year 60k mile power train warranty which is still a very extensive warranty and USUALLY covers all MOVING components of the power train. Again an extended warranty will always defer to what covered under your factory warranty before they will pay anything.

With all that being said I honestly do not see any reason to buy an extended warranty until you hit the 5 year mark or the 60k mark as most of your problems will fall under those warranties and if you are having enough issues to where you are using that factory warranty a lot, then I would think about trading it in and getting a different vehicle.

Gap though I tend to always buy it as an option as it is usually relatively cheap (around 300-700 bucks) and if for any reason your car gets totaled and you are upside down in it due to your trade in or not putting a larger down payment on the car then it will save you a ton of money and potentially cause you not to be paying on a loan for a car you can not even drive.

Of course they always offer other options like Paint and Body protection (note this is usually from a 3rd party) yes in some cases this can help a lot. What people tend to neglect is that this is a 3rd party "warranty" therefore the dealership that sells it to you has no liability on it and will defer you to a number to call or a website to go to. Youll then start your claim from there and get to enjoy all that frustration and the 3rd party company will tell you where to go to get it fixed IF it falls under what they consider environmental hazard which is honestly up to interpretation upon inspection.

You will also get presented with Tire and wheel protection which I can honestly say is worth it on the chance you get nails or dents in your rims. I have seen customer receive entire sets of new tires and rims due to road hazards and nails and even getting their rims fixed due to people scuffing them on curbs and things of that nature. I personally do not usually get this as it is usually a premium price and I tend to swap out the stock tires and rims pretty fast.

Sorry for the lengthy reply to this but I hope it helps people out!

Thanks
Sponsored

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape
I was a service advisor for Nissan for several years and have seen the added warranties pay off in the LONG run but one should not buy and extended warranty out the gate. These can be added whenever you want. What most people (in the business) tend to hide or not discuss once you get into the finance office is that you have the factory warranty that protects you for 3 years or 36k miles which ever comes first. That will always be used first and for most as extended warranties will not pay for a repair as long as its under any FACTORY warranty.

Once that runs out there could be an argument made to purchase a extended warranty to get SOME of the bumper to bumper protection back. Please realize that its very rare that an extended warranty will be as extensive as a FACTORY bumper to bumper and if it is you will def pay a premium.

With that a side you still have your FACTORY 5 year 60k mile power train warranty which is still a very extensive warranty and USUALLY covers all MOVING components of the power train. Again an extended warranty will always defer to what covered under your factory warranty before they will pay anything.

With all that being said I honestly do not see any reason to buy an extended warranty until you hit the 5 year mark or the 60k mark as most of your problems will fall under those warranties and if you are having enough issues to where you are using that factory warranty a lot, then I would think about trading it in and getting a different vehicle.

Gap though I tend to always buy it as an option as it is usually relatively cheap (around 300-700 bucks) and if for any reason your car gets totaled and you are upside down in it due to your trade in or not putting a larger down payment on the car then it will save you a ton of money and potentially cause you not to be paying on a loan for a car you can not even drive.

Of course they always offer other options like Paint and Body protection (note this is usually from a 3rd party) yes in some cases this can help a lot. What people tend to neglect is that this is a 3rd party "warranty" therefore the dealership that sells it to you has no liability on it and will defer you to a number to call or a website to go to. Youll then start your claim from there and get to enjoy all that frustration and the 3rd party company will tell you where to go to get it fixed IF it falls under what they consider environmental hazard which is honestly up to interpretation upon inspection.

You will also get presented with Tire and wheel protection which I can honestly say is worth it on the chance you get nails or dents in your rims. I have seen customer receive entire sets of new tires and rims due to road hazards and nails and even getting their rims fixed due to people scuffing them on curbs and things of that nature. I personally do not usually get this as it is usually a premium price and I tend to swap out the stock tires and rims pretty fast.

Thanks

Great information!

Rkers

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just an FYI as a couple of people mentioned gap insurance. You may be able to purchase gap insurance cheaper from your current insurance carrier than what a dealer is selling you.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I was told that as long as the factory warranty is still active I can come in right before it ends, say month 35 and extend it out another 3 years for $2,000.00
Full coverage. The sales pitch was the cost of major repairs.
Funny thing, the least expensive thing mentioned was the A/C at $1600 for a new compressor.
Tranny was $4600, engine was $6500 etc..
I asked, if it had any value if it was never used,. Nope.
That's where they screw up.

debmc1958

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

Thanks
I was at the dealer today and was confused when he said that the extended warranty will cover more things than the 36000 3 year base warranty. I've been there three times, they may ban me haha but I hate being confused.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I must have been very lucky. My guy ripped through signatures and paperwork mumbling "you don't need that bullshit...don't need that don't need that..." Done. Then when I asked about locking lug nuts he said...go to your local auto supply probably about half the price. I tried that but the angle in the nut was off so I just paid the dealer. They gave me a new car discount so I felt like I did alright. Loved working with my guy, he's old school.

Deleted member 6568

Y
I was told that as long as the factory warranty is still active I can come in right before it ends, say month 35 and extend it out another 3 years for $2,000.00
Full coverage. The sales pitch was the cost of major repairs.
Funny thing, the least expensive thing mentioned was the A/C at $1600 for a new compressor.
Tranny was $4600, engine was $6500 etc..
I asked, if it had any value if it was never used,. Nope.
That's where they screw up.
One of my sons sells Fords. College educated and makes real good money selling cars. When the three year lease was up on my 2016 Escape Titanium, he knew I loved that car(ultimately 56,000 miles on it, an absolutely trouble free), and he told me he wouldn't let me purchase it outright without an extended warranty.
Got 100% of the money BACK, later when I traded it on a 2021 Ranger. With the Ranger I added a $1700 extended warranty(It was a special order from the factory and was the only one like it in the whole country). Again, I got the $1700 back when I traded it in on the B.S.

Now imagine your SYNC goes out and it's off the warranty... Or this transmission that makes funny noises... The warranties are a high profit item, yes. You can get them to go down though. But you are not throwing your money away on a warranty if you plan to keep the vehicle for say ten years.

The three Fords I've had were are great vehicles. the driving dynamic alone, of the Bronco Sport makes you want to keep it A LONG TIME.

Ford Bronco Sport What dealer markups did you get on your Bronco Sport? IMG_4888

Ford Bronco Sport What dealer markups did you get on your Bronco Sport? ima

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
Didn't do anything other than the dealer had oil changes and dent repair for 3 years for $350. Seeing as oil changes run $50-$70 (before the price of oil jumped and could go up over the next 3 years) I jumped for that.

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
A-Plan (Ford employee/family pricing program), vs. MSRP + ADM
Relatively low cost wheel locks (another dealer in town wants $300, lol, I paid a small fraction of that)
Precisely 0 upsell attempt by the finance guy for any warranty or other coverage; I politely declined, saying I didn't want to add anything, and that was that

The paperwork was all ready to go when I came in to sign, with the cashier's check from the credit union for outside financing, and the numbers were exactly as advertised

It was almost too easy...

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
I've had extended warranties in the past, and never regretted it. I only go with the Manufacturer's own warranty, never a 3rd party warranty. I've seen 3rd party companies go under and disappear, and leave warranty holders with worthless paper. The manufacturer isn't going anywhere.

But I've never bought an extended warranty there on the spot with the finance guy. There is far too much room to negotiate. And you do have some time. You do NOT typically have the full 3 years/36k to add an extended warranty for the cheapest possible price. There is a grading scale with price increases. With Honda, for example, it used to be that you could add an extended warranty up to 10k miles for the same price you would have paid at time of purchase, but after 10k it would become more expensive. With BMW, I have 20k miles to add the warranty for no more than it would cost with less mileage, but becomes more expensive after 20k miles.

The other thing about manufacturer extended warranties is that you can buy them from any dealer in the country. There used to be (maybe still is) a Honda dealership in NJ that decided that they wanted to be the "McDonalds" of Honda Extended Warranties. They wanted to be the go-to place to sell all of them, and they only marked them up $25 bucks. There was so little work involved, they figured if they could get 25 bucks for however many extended warranties they could sell for Hondas sold at dealerships all over the country, it was worth it to them. I bought a warranty from them. Other Honda dealerships caught on and it dramatically reduced the price of a Honda extended warranty across the country, as dealerships were forced to fess up that they knew you could get it pretty cheaply online and so they tried to price match. Or come close to it.

My BS Badlands is still on order. But I'll do some research on extended warranties, and if I can get one for a boat load of years and mileage at a price I like, I like the peace of mind that comes with having that.

I have also bought the wheel/tire protection, and always come out ahead with that one. Curb rash happens. Nails happen. Things happen to your tires and wheels. It's nice having them covered extensively. But then again, I've never bought that coverage for wheels/tires as cheap as those on the BS. I've had them on BMW's with $500 (per) tires, and far more expensive wheels.

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
I bought at MSRP, which allowed me to avoid the $2000 dealer additional markup (for no reason) and didn't buy any of the "extras" being offered by the dealership

GR3EN

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Only mark up was $400 for window tint and the clear door guards. Both of which I would have likely done anyway.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I purchased the Powertrain Warranty when I picked up the Big Bend. Now considering the ESP warranty, Granger is offering it for $50 over cost. I have 10,200 miles on my 2021.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
X-plan, $1K for rebate, NO extras.
Sponsored