DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf Sportwagen, 2023 BS Badlands
We had a scary incident recently. The sport was remotely started with the app. Then when we got to it we opened the door with the handle to unlock it, loaded it up, which included putting phone and key fob inside the sport. When we shut the last door it auto locked. The sport remained in remote start mode but all doors were locked.
I donā€™t think this is unique to the bronco sport, but the days where doors would not lock with a key fob inside are gone.
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Interesting. Usually, you can't lock your key fob in a vehicle. Fortunately, the OBX has a door keypad.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I lock my fob inside all the time and use the keypad. Sometimes my BS will lock just the drivers door when I leave the key inside - most often when the window is open. Go figure.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
My 2016 Fusion and 2019 Escape would not lock with the keys inside, ever. Unless, of course, intentionally doing so with the keypad.

My 2022 BS Badlands behaves the same way.

Itā€˜s actually one of the great things about Ford (they keypad).

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We had a scary incident recently. The sport was remotely started with the app. Then when we got to it we opened the door with the handle to unlock it, loaded it up, which included putting phone and key fob inside the sport. When we shut the last door it auto locked. The sport remained in remote start mode but all doors were locked.
I donā€™t think this is unique to the bronco sport, but the days where doors would not lock with a key fob inside are gone.
@DesertRat19 ā€¦ you stated that the car was started and running, you then placed the key fob inside your car (and your phone inside the car too but that is not germane to the conversation), you then shut the last door and the car auto locked all doors.

(Apparently) what you described is how the bronco sport is designed and with the car running all doors will lock as it is designed to do that for the scenario you described.

Edit: the above info was reported by other individuals, I have not personally verified the auto lock scenario you described and I have not found it documented in the Owners Manual.

With the scenario you described to unlock the doors you have any of these methods available to you but NOT all are available for the scenario you describe.

1. if equipped, use the external keypad on the drivers side door to unlock the vehicle.
2. if you still had the phone in your hands use FordPass on the phone to unlock the vehicle.
3. Use FordPass on an Apple Watch if available to unlock the vehicle.
4. Use the spare key if available to unlock the vehicle.
5. If someone remained inside the vehicle ask them to unlock the vehicle.

Also, the information above is not meant to be all-inclusive. For example I did not address cases where the keyfob itself has a low battery, or the keyfob is in a Faraday (RFID) protected pouch, or the module that processes signals from the keyfob is defective.

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I located the following sections in the Owners Manual and these do not cover the exact scenario described by @DesertRat19

Ford Bronco Sport Warning: Doors auto lock with key fob inside 1687221450835

Ford Bronco Sport Warning: Doors auto lock with key fob inside 1687258197707

Last edited:

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
If we ever had that problem our 2021 BB has the external keypad on the drivers door.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2016 Fusion and 2019 Escape would not lock with the keys inside, ever. Unless, of course, intentionally doing so with the keypad.

My 2022 BS Badlands behaves the same way.

Itā€˜s actually one of the great things about Ford (they keypad).
Ever? Have you tried leaving the keyfob in the BS Badlands with the vehicle running, then get out of drivers side door and close the drivers side door when all other doors are also closed?

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ever? Have you tried leaving the keyfob in the BS Badlands with the vehicle running, then get out of drivers side door and close the drivers side door when all other doors are also closed?
Yes, I have left the fob in the car with the engine running and the doors did not lock.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I have left the fob in the car with the engine running and the doors did not lock.
Thanks that is good to know, out of about 10 that responded including you Iā€™ve seen 8 of 10 say their vehicle did lock.

I havenā€™t tried it yet. And I donā€™t know if the battery in the key fob for those that said the car didnā€™t lock was a reasonably good battery.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks that is good to know, out of about 10 that responded including you Iā€™ve seen 8 of 10 say their vehicle did lock.

I havenā€™t tried it yet. And I donā€™t know if the battery in the key fob for those that said the car didnā€™t lock was a reasonably good battery.
I know I have got out of the car to check something with the engine running and the fob inside and nothing has happened.

Iā€™m quite sure it was the same with my Escape and Fusion.

I certainly never experienced a situation where I was locked out and had to use the keypad.

Maybe there is another condition that has to be met for it to happen?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know I have got out of the car to check something with the engine running and the fob inside and nothing has happened.

Iā€™m quite sure it was the same with my Escape and Fusion.

Certainly, I never experienced a situation where I was locked out and had to use the keypad.

Maybe there is another condition that has to be met for it to happen?
Just that people reported ignition was on with vehicle running, all doors were closed, keyfob was in the vehicle and had a pretty new keyfob battery, driver opened drivers door, exited the vehicle leaving keyfob in the vehicle, closed drivers door and the driver walked away. After a few seconds the driver heard the door(s) lock.

Also, there is the ā€œAutolock repeats when:ā€ section in the Owners Manual which i pasted in below. But this requires vehicle speed to reach a speed of greater than 4 mph.

Finally, I recall there is an auto lock configuration under Settings.

Autolock locks all the doors when:
ā€¢ All doors are closed.
ā€¢ The ignition is on.
ā€¢ You shift into any gear putting your vehicle in motion.
ā€¢ Your vehicle reaches a speed greater than 4 mph (7 km/h).

Autolock repeats when:
ā€¢ You open, then close any door while the ignition is on and your vehicle speed is 4 mph (7 km/h) or lower.
ā€¢ Your vehicle reaches a speed greater than 4 mph (7 km/h).

Iā€™ll try it sometime soon. I donā€™t have personal experience with the scenario.

Last edited:

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
If we ever had that problem our 2021 BB has the external keypad on the drivers door.
How does that work? It looks like itā€™s wireless and just sticks on, is that correct? Do you have to change the battery? Does it feel secure?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does that work? It looks like itā€™s wireless and just sticks on, is that correct? Do you have to change the battery? Does it feel secure?
@davidg4781 .. i saw a different post where you inquired about the Ford aftermarket stick on keypad but just FYI the factory installed external drivers door keypad is nearly invisible but lights up when touched which is the one most people will have if their bronco sport was built with the factory installed optional keypad ā€¦ as described in this pic from the Owners Manual:
Ford Bronco Sport Warning: Doors auto lock with key fob inside 1687239195721
Sponsored