Visited Dealer for Recall work, ended up with Deadcell in battery, that shoots acid. Long and Short Version

AlpharettaOuterBank

Outer Banks
First Name
kdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer bank
Short narrative: My car was perfectly fine, last wednesday I go in to get 2 recalls done. I leave with an invoice reporting battery at 85%. 24 hours later, my car is having difficulty starting, spewing errors and warnings, check engine, and steering intermittently locks up. Monday morning dealers allows me to be seen again, im told the battery may receive some sort of boost so i can be fine to get around. Im now given an invoice of battery at 60% life, dead cell, and needs replacing. I leave. The next day the battery is shooting acid and shooting smoke or battery steam. My service people are distancing themselves from being the problem, i was told management will call me back but never was.

Long drawn out version of the story.

o, i finally decided to get my brake recall done. I tried long ago with an oil change but I was told to schedule on a different day.
Time passed and this past week I made sure to get it done. Outside of the recall, my new issue is a rubbing sound with extreme wheel turn, sound coming from tire areas. So i scheduled my visit online with my local dealer, for the recall, and in notes area mentioned my steering/wheel sound issue. The priority this visit was the recall. My vehicle, : 21 Bronco Sport Outerbanks, 55k miles, bought in July 2021, with NO issues besides the one mentioned above. The next day I see that the dealer added a recall to my service request to be done. I understand if ones on the list it should get done, no one said anything to me,..but it mustve needed to also get done. So now on my list of to-dos reads PCM PROGRAMMING AND DRAIN TUBE INSTALLATION, FRONT BRAKE PAD REPLACEMENT.

While my rubbing noise wheel issue has nothing to do with this, I need to mention that, it was not looked into that day for the reason stated that higher level technicians only are available on certain days, and I'd have to call in to make that appointment, and could not be done online. I waited for work to complate, on my invoice reads:

"PERFORM MULTI-POINT INSPECTION
Cause:
Correction(s):
99P PERFORM MULTI-POINT INSPECTION No Charge
Tech Number: 8026 Labor Type: ISP
GBATT BATTERY TESTING SHOWS BATTERY STRENGTH AT OR ABOVE
85%

No Charge
GBK BRAKE PADS ARE AT OR ABOVE 8MM No Charge
RTIRE TIRE TREAD DEPTHS ARE AT OR BELOW 3/32NDS No Charge
Tech Number: 8026 Labor Type: ISP"

24 hours later, the car is having trouble starting. Now a plethora of different warnings and alerts are popping up on the dash when i try to start. Im perplexed. So i check it out and miraculously a p0600 code is now present. Engine line comes on, then disappears. Later that night, i try to start it up, my steering locks up. It takes several attempts to i guess cycle through this, to where i can drive normally. I worked overnight, so by the time morning hit I'm on the phone with the dealer. I explained my newly acquired issue, and that I had just been there a few days ago for my recalls. The rep seem to agree and understand that something was way off, and expedited my need for attention to come in that same day! This made me extremely happy. (As mentioned earlier I'd need to call in advance for a diagnosis of my rubbing sound, so this same day response shocked me) I go in explain everything, including the mentioning of my very recent visit for recalls. My service guy, nice guy, but he seemed to be annoyed that I somehow was there in person as if I didn't follow his steps verbatim on how to schedule an appointment.
He went over the list of how i should have done it, and each item was checked off. He was not aware someone told me to come in, this is not of my concern. I need my car to start like it used to. So off the bat, him and another tech, quickly come to the conclusion its my battery. Nothing was opened or tested yet, but they surmise its the battery from symptoms. I'm shocked, it makes sense, but still shocked. My battery was fine when i brought it in. Now before servicing my car, my tech starts painting a vague picture of my car "sitting" and losing power...somehow. I can feel where this is going and i am not happy. I reiterate in response to that, how it was fine when i brought it in, and even the invoice reflected that, by power level and no suggestions of attention needed. My tech mentions, wanting to attempt to spruce the battery up, by doing something with the cores? If it gets my battery back and up cool.

Now if you recall, I arrived to the dealer to address being able to start my car again like i used to before I got my recalls done. Its taking forever, so I go peak outside to see whats going on, and my car is way up on a lift. Last i checked the battery is under the hood. So now im thinking, they've taken upon themselves to diagnose the rubbing sound issue! No one ever said anything to me. How did they know I would be able to sit there for 4 hours? I just assumed it was long because i arrived midday with no appointment, not because more work was being done.

In conclusion, fast forward I was right, they did A diagnosis. (Wasnt there for that). One of the techs comes in with an itemized invoice; Recall work of Rear diff??, 1 new right Tyerod, 2 new tires, and a new battery. Battery level at 60%...."Battery: Replace...has dead cell". I ask the tech about every listed item, will that recall fix my tire rubbing sound?, Replies: No. OH! So its a tyerod problem...thats going to fix the sound? Replies: No but the Tyerod is worn. So the new tries are going to fix the sound? Replies: well you need new tires they are worn. ...hmm....so a new battery is going to fix the sound? Replies: no but youre battery is low its causing all those problems you mentioned." So here he is treating my Main issue for being there as some sort of secondary issue they found. I reiterate to him, i have the previous invoice days removed, the battery was 85% i had no problems. I ask for my vehicle. The main tech, drives my vehicle over, I stopped him to ask when he turned the wheel just now did he hear the rubbing sound, he said yes. I ask: so is it the bad Tyerod thats causing it? He Replies: "What tyerod issue".šŸ˜¦ I could not process everything in the mere minute a i had left in my day to do a job then pick up my wife. But i assumed, I got to the dealership half ok, I should be ok till the end of the week, so I can flesh out a course of action. I worked that night, and in that very morning a strong egg smell is coming through the vents, I open the hood and the battery is shooting acid and smoking. (I took videos).

All i ask is if I give it to you in good condition give it back the same way. Today I called them up, explained my issue to the first person they seemed concerned, I get transferred to my tech, he put on a stance of resistance trying lean on the Last invoice while conveniently ignoring the original invoice. I said my peace and politely but with great importance. He then replies he cannot authorized a "free" battery, but said he would communicate the issue to the manager and they will get back to me.

I cant go to work my car thank God is in front of my house, but no way im moving it now. I dont expect them to call me back without me calling again first. I stated to the tech directly i did not come to you with electrical and battery issues but I left with them. So if the battery is the issue, please provide one, it doesnt have to be the ferearris of batteries but at least provide something that will get me up and running, keep me out of harm and hazard, and allow me to continue work and service visits. I arrived with 85% it should still be that way. He acted like he understood. Every visit resulted in my car getting worse and worse. If the pcm or tube recall screwed up the battery fine, if his core sprucing made it worse fine....mistakes happen, but help a guy out here I never had a battery issue.

That is my situation. Any feedback is AWESOME and welcome. Thank you.
Sponsored

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
A lot to unpack there but I will say that car batteries seem to work great, right up to the point that they donā€™t. Coincidence that it gave up the ghost immediately after a service call? Itā€™s odd, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Iā€™m NOT trying to spend your hard earned dollars or take this lightly as itā€™s obviously a legitimate issue for you but honestly, Iā€™d bite the bullet, put a new battery in and at least eliminate that variable from the equation and move forward.

If there are other, more significant issues that need to be dealt with - put your
dealers feet to the fire on those. If youā€™re simply unhappy with your dealership look elsewhere for service. Best of luck, Iā€™ll be curious how this all shakes out.

OP
OP

AlpharettaOuterBank

Outer Banks
First Name
kdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer bank
A lot to unpack there but I will say that car batteries seem to work great, right up to the point that they donā€™t. Coincidence that it gave up the ghost immediately after a service call? Itā€™s odd, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Iā€™m NOT trying to spend your hard earned dollars or take this lightly as itā€™s obviously a legitimate issue for you but honestly, Iā€™d bite the bullet, put a new battery in and at least eliminate that variable from the equation and move forward.

If there are other, more significant issues that need to be dealt with - put your
dealers feet to the fire on those. If youā€™re simply unhappy with your dealership look elsewhere for service. Best of luck, Iā€™ll be curious how this all shakes out.
told ya it was long!

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
It's common for an already weak battery to die at the mechanic. Sometimes when they're doing diagnostics, the car is on (engine not running, radio, fan and lights running) for long periods. Or simply they leave the door open and the dome lights are on for extended periods. Lead acid batteries do not like to be drained below 12 Volts, and this may have been the final dagger that killed your battery.

If they battery was low on electrolyte, they may have overfilled one cell, which would cause the acid leak.

OP
OP

AlpharettaOuterBank

Outer Banks
First Name
kdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer bank
It's common for an already weak battery to die at the mechanic. Sometimes when they're doing diagnostics, the car is on (engine not running, radio, fan and lights running) for long periods. Or simply they leave the door open and the dome lights are on for extended periods. Lead acid batteries do not like to be drained below 12 Volts, and this may have been the final dagger that killed your battery.

If they battery was low on electrolyte, they may have overfilled one cell, which would cause the acid leak.

but remember it was 85% when i gave it to them. It wasnt weak.