Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It is not perceived in a video because the vibration does not generate sound, you can only feel it when driving at a constant 1500rpm 10mph.
Does this happen only when the engine is warm?

If so, try something for me… once the engine is warm, park the car and then while holding the brake shift into neutral, then also press the gas to get to 1500 RPM. Do you also feel/hear something then?

If that’s the case, it maybe the same issue others are having, but with some physical rumbling. There’s a ton of posts on the “on this episode of is this noise normal” thread that have sounds related to slow speed 1500 RPM condition (I have it too ?)

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I feel a vibration like i were driving over small bumps (1.5 at 1500 rpm 10mph), It seems that it is caused in the transmission but I do not feel it in the sport mode.
Does the same thing to someone?

I've read a similar message in the post "On this episode of, Is this noise normal? (https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/on-this-episode-of-is-this-noise-normal.2574/)" But it doesn't seem to happen to anyone else.
on the gas off the gas? the 3 banger uses cylinder deactivation at low throttle settings to save fuel. if it's ok in sport mode it may be that deactivation is disabled. this engine has same rough spots at various RPMs, slight but there,

OP
OP
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 1.5 BigBend
Does this happen only when the engine is warm?

If so, try something for me… once the engine is warm, park the car and then while holding the brake shift into neutral, then also press the gas to get to 1500 RPM. Do you also feel/hear something then?

If that’s the case, it maybe the same issue others are having, but with some physical rumbling. There’s a ton of posts on the “on this episode of is this noise normal” thread that have sounds related to slow speed 1500 RPM condition (I have it too ?)
In sport mode it does not happen, neither accelerating up to 1500 rpm in neutral. It only does it in normal mode at 1500-1800 Rpm.

on the gas off the gas? the 3 banger uses cylinder deactivation at low throttle settings to save fuel. if it's ok in sport mode it may be that deactivation is disabled. this engine has same rough spots at various RPMs, slight but there,
I was not knowledge that the 1.5 engine has cylinder deactivation. It may be a reason, but does the same thing happen to someone else?

Last edited:

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I feel a vibration like i were driving over small bumps (1.5 at 1500 rpm 10mph), It seems that it is caused in the transmission but I do not feel it in the sport mode.

I've read a similar message in the post "On this episode of, Is this noise normal? (https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/on-this-episode-of-is-this-noise-normal.2574/)" But it doesn't seem to happen to anyone else.
I wondered about this, but not just at 1500rm/10mph. I'm inclined to say it's when the transmission wants to shift but kind of stuck between the lower gears. When this happens I let off the gas and go again a little more aggressively. Seems to clear it up.

Aren't these transmissions supposed to have that adaptive transmission control, and adapt to your style of driving? I'm guessing maybe it's confused at times and trying to "adapt".

Sometimes I baby this thing and other times I'm more aggressive with the skinny pedal. So it's always gonna be confused with my style.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
In sport mode it does not happen, neither accelerating up to 1500 rpm in neutral. It only does it in normal mode at 1500-1800 Rpm.

I was not knowledge that the 1.5 engine has cylinder deactivation. It may be a reason, but does the same thing happen to someone else?
I believe the cylinder deactivation is at higher speeds while cruising, my guess.

WillM1994

Big Bend
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Cactus Gray
I believe the cylinder deactivation is at higher speeds while cruising, my guess.
It is the cylinder deactivation, I wor

It is the cylinder deactivation I had the same concern, I work at a dealership so I had our master tech listen and this is what we came up with

SSM 49930 - 2020-2021 Escape, 2021 Bronco Sport - 1.5L EcoBoost - Vibration And/Or Boom Noise While Driving
Some 2020-2021 Escape and 2021 Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with the 1.5L engine may exhibit a lugging vibration and/or boom noise while driving in gears 5-8at approximately 1500 engine revolutions per minute (RPM). This may be felt more when the engine is under a light to moderate load. A vibration and/or boom noise could be generated from the firing frequency of the 3 cylinders or when cylinder deactivation occurs and the engine is running on 2 cylinders. Compare to a like vehicle before attempting to diagnose as this condition may be characteristic. Setting the vehicle's drive mode to SPORT may eliminate the condition by changing the shift points of the transmission. Refer to the Owner's Manual for information on drive mode control and how to select them.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150

It is the cylinder deactivation I had the same concern, I work at a dealership so I had our master tech listen and this is what we came up with

SSM 49930 - 2020-2021 Escape, 2021 Bronco Sport - 1.5L EcoBoost - Vibration And/Or Boom Noise While Driving
Some 2020-2021 Escape and 2021 Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with the 1.5L engine may exhibit a lugging vibration and/or boom noise while driving in gears 5-8at approximately 1500 engine revolutions per minute (RPM). This may be felt more when the engine is under a light to moderate load. A vibration and/or boom noise could be generated from the firing frequency of the 3 cylinders or when cylinder deactivation occurs and the engine is running on 2 cylinders. Compare to a like vehicle before attempting to diagnose as this condition may be characteristic. Setting the vehicle's drive mode to SPORT may eliminate the condition by changing the shift points of the transmission. Refer to the Owner's Manual for information on drive mode control and how to select them.
this is good info, thanks for posting it. Mine does it as well, however i just switched out to sport mode, and it goes away. I'm really not too worried, i have warranty.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB

Thanks. I read on another thread with this post, we're kind of supposed to monitor it and see if it gets worse?! Always driving in Sport is the band-aid I guess.

CKEPP

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
1.5 EcoBoost - Transmission vibration/shudder/wobble (SSM 49930)
...30-40 mph and again at 70 mph, in both cases under slight load, or when attempting to maintain a constant speed. Dealership referred me to SSM49930. Said bring it back in for evaluation of torque converter if it gets worse. Driving in Sport mode does help alleviate the condition at the lower speed
Sponsored