Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L

Brad Urton

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Whatever is stock on the OB. I know it’s 18”, but I’d have to check the tire manufacturer. I’m also running a higher tire pressure than the standard recommended.
I have 18s also(17 " is standard on the bb I think) Michelin Primacy a/s 225 60
May have air em up a bit see if that makes a difference...

DMEARC

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I have 18s also(17 " is standard on the bb I think) Michelin Primacy a/s 225 60
May have air em up a bit see if that makes a difference...
It will. Increasing the pressure will decrease the rolling resistance. Just be sure to stay within the tire manufacturers limit.

As far as the Ford recommended tire pressure (33psi, IIRC), keep in mind that this number is obtained through testing in a wide variety of scenarios: high speed, low speed, cornering, heavy load, light load, rain, dry, etc. Fords recommendation is a “jack of all trades” number, in that it does well in all conditions, but exceeds in none.

Osco

Base
First Name
Marty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Getting any car up to speed takes a tremendous amount of energy. Doing it quickly requires a disproportionately large amount of fuel.
Accelerating briskly but not super fast is a good idea over grandma acceleration because getting into higher gears sooner is better than spending more time and fuel in lower gears.
I say get the engine on the turbo and get up the speedo and tac sooner, quicker.
The sooner your in an overdrive gear the sooner your getting better mpg's.
The less time spent accelerating the better...
I bet this concept gets shot down fast..
Commercial driver here. 3.2 million miles logged in DOT driver log books. Tractor Trailers down to Ford Transit Connect mini vans.
Brisk acceleration is best.
1st off and away from the light is not.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Accelerating briskly but not super fast is a good idea over grandma acceleration because getting into higher gears sooner is better than spending more time and fuel in lower gears.
I say get the engine on the turbo and get up the speedo and tac sooner, quicker.
The sooner your in an overdrive gear the sooner your getting better mpg's.
The less time spent accelerating the better...
I bet this concept gets shot down fast..
Commercial driver here. 3.2 million miles logged in DOT driver log books. Tractor Trailers down to Ford Transit Connect mini vans.
Brisk acceleration is best.
1st off and away from the light is not.
Eco mode up shifts very frequently. You won’t be in low gears for very long, even during slower acceleration.

I agree about acceleration. Too slow is just as bad as too fast.

Advertisement

Advertisement