Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I’ve managed to beat my previous best MPG, achieving 36.6 during a 191.7 mile trip. This included about 30 minutes of heavy stop and go traffic to start, then Eco mode with cruise set at speed limit +5. The speed limit sign recognition system works wonderfully and along with adaptive cruise and lane centering makes the whole trip a very “set it and forget it” experience.
Ford Bronco Sport Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L 1C8C9E7D-F530-437B-A53D-6AEC6188D538
Sponsored

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I’ve managed to beat my previous best MPG, achieving 36.6 during a 191.7 mile trip. This included about 30 minutes of heavy stop and go traffic to start, then Eco mode with cruise set at speed limit +5. The speed limit sign recognition system works wonderfully and along with adaptive cruise and lane centering makes the whole trip a very “set it and forget it” experience.
Ford Bronco Sport Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L 1C8C9E7D-F530-437B-A53D-6AEC6188D538
That’s great MPG’s! Was that mostly “level” driving I would think, or did that include some elevation changes?

As an aside, about half of the four hour trip I take when I go “up north” is level and the other half goes up and down. It’s that up of the up’n down that can make a dent into the mpg’s…. ?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
That’s great MPG’s! Was that mostly “level” driving I would think, or did that include some elevation changes?

As an aside, about half of the four hour trip I take when I go “up north” is level and the other half goes up and down. It’s that up of the up’n down that can make a dent into the mpg’s…. ?
My trips are all on level highways.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Ooo. I now have a goal. Got 34 mpg normal mode on a recent trip. I really need to try eco mode.

Brad Urton

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
You're getting about what I get going to work in the morning(4:30, no traffic, mostly highway)so that's impressive, looks like I'm gonna have to try harder ?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
You're getting about what I get going to work in the morning(4:30, no traffic, mostly highway)so that's impressive, looks like I'm gonna have to try harder ?
I have a feeling I could squeeze out another mpg or so if it weren’t for traffic, which I mostly keep up with (and pass sometimes!), so it’s not like I’m just sitting there in the slow lane the whole time.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Ooo. I now have a goal. Got 34 mpg normal mode on a recent trip. I really need to try eco mode.
I think Eco mode mostly helps with saving fuel during acceleration. I’m not sure what difference it makes if you’re already cruising at a set speed.
I have almost 1,100 miles of highway driving now, and I have noticed two things:
1) it’s possible to exceed 30 mpg within just a few minutes of highway driving, barring traffic.
2) it’s possible to achieve and maintain 30+mpg beyond 70 mph. After 75 mph you’ll start to see the economy slowly drop, but high 20’s/ low 30’s is still possible.

Megakatx

Big Bend
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I took a drive on a nice two lane highway today. The speed limit is 55, so I set 60. I was able to break the 40 mpg barrier, achieving 41.4 mpg.

Ford Bronco Sport Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L B80398DA-35E1-4BCF-9B0C-D6985EA495F6
I can barely go 24 mpg hahaha. Maybe it's my heavy foot and my yakima off grid rack...

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I can barely go 24 mpg hahaha. Maybe it's my heavy foot and my yakima off grid rack...
Getting any car up to speed takes a tremendous amount of energy. Doing it quickly requires a disproportionately large amount of fuel.
And yes, anything attached to the outside of the vehicle will absolutely cost you in terms of drag. I don’t even have my cross bars attached.

Brad Urton

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
You can see the mode symbol in the bottom center screen. Eco.
☺I couldn't quite read it, I've been running exclusively in Normal so far and I don't think it shows on my screen. Still I'm amazed by your numbers(and I'm getting consistently over 33) What size wheels and tires?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
☺I couldn't quite read it, I've been running exclusively in Normal so far and I don't think it shows on my screen. Still I'm amazed by your numbers(and I'm getting consistently over 33) What size wheels and tires?
Whatever is stock on the OB. I know it’s 18”, but I’d have to check the tire manufacturer. I’m also running a higher tire pressure than the standard Ford recommended (still within tire manufacturer recommended though).

Last edited: