AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
oh and one other thing i like, is the audible turbo flutter, and the turbo spooling under light load. roll the windows down, try it out
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I never said you can't make the 3 cylinder run fast, but at what cost, what's it going to take to get it to run as well as the 2.0 stock? You would be much better off with the 1st Edition or Badlands with all they offer than to dump money trying to make the 1.5 run like the 2.0. You also keep bring up other platforms,, who cares what they do,, they aren't 4wd CUV's. The biggest detriment to the 1.5 is weight, then add 4 normal sized people and some camping gear to the 1.5 and it struggles. That's why I didn't buy it.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I never said you can't make the 3 cylinder run fast, but at what cost, what's it going to take to get it to run as well as the 2.0 stock? You would be much better off with the 1st Edition or Badlands with all they offer than to dump money trying to make the 1.5 run like the 2.0. You also keep bring up other platforms,, who cares what they do,, they aren't 4wd CUV's. The biggest detriment to the 1.5 is weight, then add 4 normal sized people and some camping gear to the 1.5 and it struggles. That's why I didn't buy it.
I bring up the Yaris in response to some wag who said 3 cyl engines are not worth making fast.
I bring up the Golf because that was my last car and some wag was going on about them being worth making fast.
You do you. Glad you like your BS.

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Never has this 3 cylinder felt underpowered to me. I ride a motorcycle the other half of the time so you would think I would notice a vehicle with no power, the bronco sport is great. It actually runs extremely well with premium gas, the torque it provides surprises, even in normal mode.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
All that matters is whatever particular thing it is works for you.
I am currently more than satisfied with my choice (Badlands)

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I had myself and two Lets say large size adults in mine, ok two fat guys,
Plus two rather heavy tool boxes and a gear bag.
Was on I 75 doing 80 with the cruise control on.
IN ECO GOAT MODE
It downshifted when we climbed but I noticed no 'Struggle' at all.
Maybe some of you need Ford to check your engine out ?
Base model here, no mods, stock tires, factory spec roll out.
I'm fine with my wimpy 1.5L

Last edited:

Alfredo

Base
First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco Sport
My wife wants to replace her 01 Escape v6 with a Sport, but after driving the 3 and 4 cylinders we both agreed the 1.5 has no guts. I also have a 400hp Golf that doesn't help measuring things with the butt dyno, but for my wife to notice a car doesn't have power is saying something considering she's had the escape since it was new. The only option she wants is a sunroof, which pushes the badlands to 40k with taxes, which I have trouble wrapping my head around for this car considering some of the other (mostly used) cars start to come into play at that price . I'd rather get a Big Bend with the Big Bend package and call it a day.

So that was all a long way of asking what kind of results can be expected from just a tune, no supporting mods on the 1.5?
Have you tried driving in the sport mode? Makes a difference, seems to put a charge under those three hamsters.

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
Of course they are apples to oranges to plums :)

The point I am making is simple: 3cly engines can be made fast - want them fast? Make them so. That is what Gazoo Racing did with the Yaris :)
The driving style that the BS is geared to is cruising along at "North American" speeds (dead slow) where the Golf7 is engineered for 2 to 3 times that speed. Remember, the Golf7 R can cruise all day at 268kmph, and the base Golf7 shares a lot of its dna. It was boring slow feeling at very illegal speeds. The BS is quite lovely at 80kmph and is much more suited to the road less traveled than a normal car is. In a very real way, cars designed for the autobahn system in Germany are utterly pointless on this continent because you cannot use them the way they are designed to be driven. You can use a BS as intended though, which is its own kind of fun.
The 7R is electronically limited to 155mph so its not cruising at 166mph. I've had mine up to ~145 and would not want to be cruising on the highway at that speed, although it felt more planted than my sport does at 100. All in all its a strange comparison as the vehicles are light years apart in just about every category. I always smile driving the Golf after spending a lot of time in the BS but they are different tools for different purposes. I love the bronco around my house since Chicago roads suck and the bs handles potholes, broken pavement, elevated manholes etc a lot better but I don't sit there in the drivers seat feeling like I'm having fun. More relief that I'm not worried about cracking an oil pan on a raised manhole cover.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
For the speed of the R I am looking at the German spec one on YouTube sitting at 268kmph. I haven’t driven there in decades so I cannot say what it is like these days.
And no, not a weird comparison at all. People are coming into the BS from all sorts of vehicles. I came from a Golf7, and comparing the two is natural. Only a hair brained individual would think they are the same. They are not. That doesn’t mean that they cannot be compared as a daily driver and what they are like to cruise in.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
The biggest detriment to the 1.5 is weight, then add 4 normal sized people and some camping gear to the 1.5 and it struggles. That's why I didn't buy it.
I’ve done myself and my wife up front with two fat friends in the back and a full load of groceries behind them. Never noticed my 1.5L struggle.
It just shifted higher up on the tach. Was not as high shifting as sport mode.
I even climbed a steep gravel road at 5 mph. Not a problem.

rhathlete

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
For anyone interested livernois motor sports now has a tuner available for the 1.5l.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
For the speed of the R I am looking at the German spec one on YouTube sitting at 268kmph. I haven’t driven there in decades so I cannot say what it is like these days.
And no, not a weird comparison at all. People are coming into the BS from all sorts of vehicles. I came from a Golf7, and comparing the two is natural. Only a hair brained individual would think they are the same. They are not. That doesn’t mean that they cannot be compared as a daily driver and what they are like to cruise in.
Stop you guys …LOL…I am going to be trading in my tuned BMW M240i made in Germany (pocket rocket) for my BS and you are making me miss her already!!!!! :crying: :crackup:

Ford Bronco Sport Tuning the 3 cylinder 04516218-4A6B-40F1-AB1C-E198BD0E1594

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stop you guys …LOL…I am going to be trading in my tuned BMW M240i made in Germany (pocket rocket) for my BS and you are making me miss her already!!!!! :crying: :crackup:

Ford Bronco Sport Tuning the 3 cylinder 04516218-4A6B-40F1-AB1C-E198BD0E1594
vroom offered me almost 42000 for the Golf R this week and it’s only been driven 2000 miles in the last year so we are going to be downsizing to one car (the bronco) until after the chip shortage ends and prices come down. I’m devastated. Adulting sucks.

Vroom also offered more than we paid for the bronco but that wasn’t gonna happen :-/.

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I have a SCT BDX that I am using with my Ranger. It looks like it should work with the Bronco Sport but I don't think they have any canned tunes for the 1.5L. 5 star tuning offers tunes so once I finally get my BS I will look into that. I am hoping the gains are similar to what I got with my Ktuner and my 2018 Civic. Those tunes made it into a whole new car and the torque gains were crazy. They can't really dyno a cvt so it's hard to say what the gains actually are, but they did dyno a 6 speed EX-T and it was like 220hp and 250tq (pretty much max the cvt could handle anyway). I will post here once I get it tuned. Let me say that it was very noticeable running the 93 octane stage 2 tune.

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burgers new JB4 also fits the 1.5. Great option for anyone wanting a little more power but worried about retaining the warranty. Will be ordering it for my 2.0 later this month.

https://burgertuning.com/collections/ford
Sponsored