Trad

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands Edition
I have a '21 badlands edition. I carry 2 bikes on a bike rack with a cover on the bikes. With the cover on, the tail lights are not visible so I bought a pair of magnetic Towing lights so I have rear tail lights. Everything works except I continuously get error an message:

"Trailer park lamps fault, check lamps"

It keeps popping up after I clear it by hitting"ok"

Strange thing is I have no problems when I'm pulling my boat behind it.

Any suggestions??
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Iā€™m guessing that your magnetic lights are LED. The canbus system is expecting more resistance in the lights and is reporting an error because the resistance it too low. I bet your boat trailer does not have LED lights.

OP
OP

Trad

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply but my boat trailer lights are LED also.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Grounding?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Thanks for the reply but my boat trailer lights are LED also.
There are differences in LEDs. Some will cause a code and others wonā€™t. I donā€™t know what they do to one or the other to cause the code.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Have you checked to make sure the lights are working properly? Do they stay on when you set the dial to parking?

OP
OP

Trad

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your help! Yes, they work perfectly

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
Hmmm, I just ran into this problem with my 2021 BS Badlands. I am towing my daughter's car with a u-haul car dolly - all LED lights on the dolly. The lights all work perfectly - running lights, brakes, turn signals. But it trips the fault "Trailer park lamps fault, check lamps" every few minutes while driving. Since we're going 1/2 way across the county, it's annoying to say the least!

This seems a bit insane, all trailers are moving to LED lights, the Bronco has LED lights, but the towing sensors are looking for incandescent lights only?

Trying to locate an adapter on-line, but all I am seeing are adapters for 7-pin plugs. My tow receiver and light plug is factory installed Ford stuff. 4-pin flat plug. We do not have a choice but to get this car to Florida in the next 4 days. But I'd appreciate any input. Thoughts?

rdxland

Adding a few pieces of info:
1 - My issue is with a u-Haul trailer (car dolly actually) with all LED lights, no magnets.
2 - A bit of poking around the net and a few forums - it looks like the fact that LED lights offer little to no resistance and some of our great tech in our vehicles are looking for some resistance from normal incandescent bulbs - so it seems to think there are no lights out there. That's my best guess.

As I said initially, the lights are working just fine - it's the annoying ding and fault warning on the dash that is at issue here!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Trad

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi
I also had this issue with magnetic Towing lights I bought at harbor freight. I bought different led trailer lights (not magnetic kind) that were meant to be mounted on a trailer and mounted them on a piece of PVC pipe. I then strapped them to the trailer. They work perfectly! It must have something to do with the cheap led lights from harbor freight! Hope this helps you!

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
There are differences in LEDs. Some will cause a code and others wonā€™t. I donā€™t know what they do to one or the other to cause the code.
This.

Some LED lights/bulbs have a built in load resister to simulate a regular incandescent bulb load. Others do not have this load resister. I suspect your trailer does have a load resister arrangement, and the magnetic ones you use with the bike trailer setup do not.

Most LED online stores have articles on this, and their prices are slightly higher for these bulbs. Folks shop around for a cheaper price for LED bulbs and do not realize that the cheaper bulb is due to the missing load resister.

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
Hello, Iā€™m back with an update on the ā€œpark light faultā€ warning in our ā€˜21 Badlands.

Towing the uhaul with led lights to Florida from Colorado we figured out there actual trip point. It only occurs when you use the brakes or turn signalsā€¦and the headlights are on. oh, the hazards too. During the day with no headlights, there were no alerts.

So it just seems to dislike the brighter taillight usage when the headlights are in use!

For the record, all of the lights functioned as they should.

Weā€™ll be talking with Ford on this. The alert is very annoying.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I missed an initial post you had on this. Did the BS come with the hitch and wiring harness for the tow hitch, or did you or someone else install it? Was it the OEM factory hitch wiring?

OP
OP

Trad

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It came with it, factory installed OEM wiring. I thought I said I found the issue in a previous comment I posted. It was the type of led lights I bought from harbor freight, magnetic portable trailering lights. I bought a different set made for boat trailers and they work perfectly!! Crazy....

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It came with it, factory installed OEM wiring. I thought I said I found the issue in a previous comment I posted. It was the type of led lights I bought from harbor freight, magnetic portable trailering lights. I bought a different set made for boat trailers and they work perfectly!! Crazy....
Yes, you did. I recall reading that in another post, and even responded about using load resisters.

My memory is good, just short. Sorry about that. Good to know (remember) about LED lighting, and the potential for error messages.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hello, Iā€™m back with an update on the ā€œpark light faultā€ warning in our ā€˜21 Badlands.

Towing the uhaul with led lights to Florida from Colorado we figured out there actual trip point. It only occurs when you use the brakes or turn signalsā€¦and the headlights are on. oh, the hazards too. During the day with no headlights, there were no alerts.

So it just seems to dislike the brighter taillight usage when the headlights are in use!

For the record, all of the lights functioned as they should.

Weā€™ll be talking with Ford on this. The alert is very annoying.
Hi there. Can you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this park light fault concern? Thanks!
Sponsored