Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Ford seems to be saying that the 2,000 or 2,200 lb. towing capacity is based on having ONLY "a 150-lb. driver and passenger" in the vehicle -- NOT the 975 lb. payload listed on the sticker on the B pillar.
The GCWR for the Badlands model is 6260 lbs. If you subtract the maximum trailer weight of 2200 lbs you're left with 4060 lbs. That leaves approximately 300 lbs of payload for the car.
Sponsored

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
The GCWR for the Badlands model is 6260 lbs. If you subtract the maximum trailer weight of 2200 lbs you're left with 4060 lbs. That leaves approximately 300 lbs of payload for the car.
Shhh... :cool:

Thanks Mark, that's simple and straight-forward. Too bad Ford did not see fit to put it that way.

Seriously, the way they phrase it is unclear, to say the least. It is inaccurate to make a flat statement that the BS BL can tow 2,200 pounds

So, if 300 pounds is the max payload with a 2,200 lb. trailer, then at the full max payload of 975 lbs. listed on the B pillar sticker, the max trailer weight is 2,200 - 675 = 1,525 pounds.

The reason I'm focused on this is because we have a Sprinter-based RV (a View) and I've read a lot about how important GVWR and GCWR are -- for determining correct tire pressure and trailer or "toad" (towed vehicle) weight.

It's fair to say that most owners are not as knowledgeable and conscientious as you (and some other forum members) are. Guaranteed there are BS BL owners that are hundreds of pounds over the GCWR, because they (understandably) believe they can carry 975 lbs. of cargo AND tow 2,200 lbs.

Exceeding the GCWR may not matter on level roads, especially with trailer brakes. However, on steep 7-10%+ grades in the mountains, particularly without trailer brakes, it can quickly become a potentially deadly problem.

Maybe the BS/BS BL has sufficient excess braking capacity. Maybe Ford is just playing CYA games by specifying a 150 lb. driver and passenger with NO cargo whatsoever.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
sajohnson.. “Seriously, the way they phrase it is unclear, to say the least. It is inaccurate to make a flat statement that the BS BL can tow 2,200 pounds …

… the max trailer weight is 2,200 - 675 = 1,525 pounds” … or is it 😉

How about you taking some vehicle weight measurements and running various tests … load up a trailer with increasing weights and increasing weights inside the Bronco Sport and up on top and onto the trailer hitch and find out the limits … of course you want to test under reasonable conditions say 65mph cross wind speed on a downhill 6% grade with lots of twists and turns then back off the weights until you find the safe zone!

It’ll be fun!

Ford Bronco Sport Towing with the Bronco IMG_2627

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Seriously, the way they phrase it is unclear, to say the least. It is inaccurate to make a flat statement that the BS BL can tow 2,200 pounds
I guess I just don't see it that way. Ford publishes a max vehicle weight, a max towing weight, and a max combined weight. This is the way weight limits have been published for as long as I can remember.

For example, Dodge markets the RAM 1500 as having a max tow capacity ~7800 lbs, a maximum payload of 2300 lbs, and a GCWR of 12900 lbs. If you subtract the vehicle empty weight of 4800 lbs from the GCWR (12900) it leaves 8100 lbs. If you subtract the max trailer weight (7800) from that you get 300 lbs, or two 150 lb people.

https://www.edwardschryslerdodgejeepram.com/manufacturer-information/ram-1500-weight/

It's not at all inaccurate for Ford to publish a maximum trailer weight of 2200 lbs. It's up to the operator to ensure all weight limits are observed. As you note, max trailer weight is ~1500 with the vehicle loaded with a maximum payload.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I just don't see it that way. Ford publishes a max vehicle weight, a max towing weight, and a max combined weight. This is the way weight limits have been published for as long as I can remember.

For example, Dodge markets the RAM 1500 as having a max tow capacity ~7800 lbs, a maximum payload of 2300 lbs, and a GCWR of 12900 lbs. If you subtract the vehicle empty weight of 4800 lbs from the GCWR (12900) it leaves 8100 lbs. If you subtract the max trailer weight (7800) from that you get 300 lbs, or two 150 lb people.

https://www.edwardschryslerdodgejeepram.com/manufacturer-information/ram-1500-weight/

It's not at all inaccurate for Ford to publish a maximum trailer weight of 2200 lbs. It's up to the operator to ensure all weight limits are observed. As you note, max trailer weight is ~1500 with the vehicle loaded with a maximum payload.
Granted, those numbers are published. You and I (and many others) are aware of how to use them -- but many owners are not.

If a BS BL owner asks a Ford dealer how much s/he can tow, they will almost always say, "2,200 pounds", period -- not mentioning that is with a load of no more than 300 pounds in the BL. Same thing if someone does a Google search for BS BL towing capacity. Google sez: 2,200 lbs., period.

Here (in part) is the info at the link gatornek fixed (post 17 above):

Ford Bronco Sport Towing with the Bronco 1711757523352-t4

That same page does have the GCWR and maximum loaded trailer weight listed.

Maybe we both get a participation trophy:

You are absolutely correct that Ford provides the necessary information. In a perfect world, people would take the initiative to search out that PDF and read it thoroughly. In addition, they would realize that they must subtract the weight of their fully loaded trailer (in most cases that means putting it on scales to get the weight) from the GCWR to get the cargo capacity. It's not exactly advanced calculus, but the owner must be aware it is necessary.

In a less than perfect world, many/most(?) owners hear "2,200 pound towing capacity" and don't think any further than that. They hitch up a trailer without knowing the actual weight (it's very easy to overload a camper); and pile in the BS BL with their family and/or friends and all of their stuff.

My personal experience is with the Sprinter-based View RV. GVWR: 11,030 pounds; towing capacity: 4,400 lbs.; GCWR: 15,250 lbs. -- just 180 pounds shy of the GVWR + max towing capacity. 180 pounds is only 12% of the "CCC" (cargo capacity).

To have the max trailer weight reduce the cargo capacity from almost 1/2 ton (I see the newer models are actually a bit over 1,000 lbs.) to just 300 lbs. is a serious reduction! It is what it is of course, but IMHO, Ford and Ford dealers should not give towing capacity without "the rest of the story." It is the responsible thing to do.

RWT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
IMHO, Ford and Ford dealers should not give towing capacity without "the rest of the story." It is the responsible thing to do.
Or one could say, "the responsible thing to do" is for the vehicle owner who intends to tow to read the owners manual and the available towing guide (at a minimum). The individual is responsible, (I know individual responsibility is no longer a thing), for knowing how to operate their vehicle, including the limitations.

Ford has done their part by providing the information, the owner has to do their part by learning the information. If they don't understand it, there's a ton of info on the web to help explain it. There's even online worksheets where you can plug in values, weights & capacities, and it will calculate your load data for you.

Then there are those who willingly and knowingly tow beyond their vehicle capacity. Why? Only they can answer that question. Actually, we can all answer that question but it's not polite to say.

I read a quote that went something like this; There was a time when vehicle owners manuals came with instructions on how to adjust intake and exhaust valves. Now, they come with warnings not to drink the fluid contained within the battery. Note: This is sarcasm.

JMHO,
No expertise implied or expressed.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or one could say, "the responsible thing to do" is for the vehicle owner who intends to tow to read the owners manual and the available towing guide (at a minimum). The individual is responsible, (I know individual responsibility is no longer a thing), for knowing how to operate their vehicle, including the limitations.

Ford has done their part by providing the information, the owner has to do their part by learning the information. If they don't understand it, there's a ton of info on the web to help explain it. There's even online worksheets where you can plug in values, weights & capacities, and it will calculate your load data for you.

Then there are those who willingly and knowingly tow beyond their vehicle capacity. Why? Only they can answer that question. Actually, we can all answer that question but it's not polite to say.

I read a quote that went something like this; There was a time when vehicle owners manuals came with instructions on how to adjust intake and exhaust valves. Now, they come with warnings not to drink the fluid contained within the battery. Note: This is sarcasm.

JMHO,
No expertise implied or expressed.
That's all correct of course.

As I said above, we are talking about 2 worlds: the ideal world, the way things should be, and reality.

Should owners of any product memorize (or at least be familiar with) the owner's manual as well as any information available online? Of course. How many actually are though? By definition, members of forums like this one are more knowledgeable, but as a whole, it's safe to say that the percentage of BS (or any other vehicle) owners that have more than minimal knowledge about their car/truck is very small.

As you said, "individual responsibility is no longer a thing." Agreed.

Ford (and other mfrs) know this, yet they choose to emphasize the maximum towing capacity of 2,000 or 2,200 pounds -- while making the critical specs available, but less obvious. One reason for that might be that they have 2 competing goals: 1) Sell vehicles, 2) avoid liability.

Most people would agree that more = better when it comes to towing capacity. Ford knows that, so they promote the max tow rating and downplay the fact that it was established with only 300 pounds (or less) of 'cargo' -- two 150 lb. passengers, far less than the 975-1,023 cargo capacity . Here are some search results:

* "2021 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Maximum Towing Capacity - 2,000 lbs. 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Maximum Towing Capacity - 2,200 lbs." (No further info given).
https://www.springfieldford.net/how-much-can-the-ford-bronco-sport-tow.htm

There are a whole lot of Ford dealers that all have have similar information.

Here's a Ford page:

* https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco-sport/models/bronco-sport-badlands/

It is well done, lots of info/specs, but for towing it just says:

EngineAvailable FeaturesModelMax. Trailer Weight (Lbs.)
1.5L EcoBoost®Class II Trailer Tow PackageBig Bend, Heritage, Free Wheeling, Outer Banks2,000
2.0L EcoBoost®Class II Trailer Tow PackageBadlands2,200

That's accurate of course, but why not list the restrictions? Just saying 2,000 or 2,200, period, not even an "*" implies that there are none.

I agree that people should be thoroughly familiar with their vehicle, and know the manual inside and out. Unfortunately, auto mfrs have found that is usually not the case. For example, it is common knowledge to any BS Forum member that most passenger vehicles run on gasoline, not diesel -- yet many cars have a sticker inside the gas cap to remind owners to NOT fill up with diesel.
Sponsored