Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Good Day All…..

I have been reading the threads and researching other spots did some math and wanted to ask if my thoughts are correct

I have the 2023 Sport Badlands….I know the towing capacity is 2200 - I know the curb weight is about 3707, the cvwr is 6,260(ish) - I would be carrying a tag boondock which is dry weight of 1415 - it has a battery and propane so roughly another 100 pounds which makes the weight 1515

if i account for weight of people and gear lets say 320 + 200 + 100 pounds ( full tank of gas 4*16) this would bring (TV) to about 4023 about 500 less the the 4630 gvwr

the trailer as noted above would be 1515 + 200 lbs stuff ( 1715) would be below the 2200 and the total combined 1715 + 4023 would be 5738 is about 500 less than the GCWR and should be less than the 220 tongue weight

does this seem like it would be an issue to pull

Thanks in advance !
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Looks like you did the math! As long as you remain below the CVWR you should be golden. The only other limitation regarding towing is frontal area, and that shouldn't be an issue for the teardrop trailer.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Tiny amount either way .. thought gasoline weighs 6 to 6.1lbs (6.1*16) ?

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
That combination should work fine. However, I wanted to offer some thoughts around your approach so that others might be able to be more accurate in their approach with slightly heavier loads that begin to push the limits of the ratings:

[...] I have the 2023 Sport Badlands….I know the towing capacity is 2200 - I know the curb weight is about 3707 [...]
This isn't a great way to begin a "can I tow it?" type of analysis. When you start with the capability of your tow vehicle, you need to begin with the door jamb sticker of that tow vehicle. Using published dry weight specifications will nearly always lead to an understated vehicle weight and, thus, a bias toward overloading the TV. Always, always use the door jamb sticker.

For example, my BL tells me that the GVWR is 4,730 lbs (a number that should be the same for all BL) and "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed: 925 lbs." Thus, the curb weight of my BL is the difference at 3,805 lbs ... and I don't have a moonroof, which is the heaviest of options.

[...] if i account for weight of people and gear lets say 320 + 200 + 100 pounds ( full tank of gas 4*16) [...]
Fluids are covered in your vehicle's base weight. Gas, oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, etc. are all in that number. So, you get your 4*16 weight back.

[...] dry weight of 1415 - it has a battery and propane so roughly another 100 pounds which makes the weight 1515 [...]
Many modern RVs began including a tank of propane as part of the dry weight. I don't know if that applies to the T@b trailers or not. This used to not be the case, but recently LP has been lumped in. With that said, you need to consider all of the things that will add to that mythical, fictional dry weight. Any option packages, many appliances, A/C units, awnings, and furnaces are just examples of things that get added to trailers that don't necessarily appear in that dry weight. They may ... they may not.

100 lbs is awfully light to predict the difference between the marketing-generated dry weight and the actual weight of that trailer as you drive it off the lot.

[...] if i account for weight of [...] gear lets say [...] 200 pounds [...] the trailer as noted above would be 1515 + 200 lbs stuff [...]
I have no idea what you're style of camping is, so 400 lbs of gear (200 in the BS, 200 on the trailer) might be right on the nose. To hit that number, most folks will be camping solo or with a small spouse and using backpacking gear.

Cookware, bedding, food, beverages, leveling gear, etc. Gear adds up incredibly fast, so it's a number to keep an eye on ... particularly if you're bringing your own water.

Again, this isn't an error by any means ... just a common place where a lot of people grossly underestimate how much stuff they load and how much that stuff weighs.

My guess is that your 1,515 lb trailer is going to weigh between 1,700 - 1,800 lbs. But that's still well within the towing limits. Your occupants and cargo is 520 lbs. Add 15 lbs for your hitch and 200 lbs from the trailer's hitch weight and you're going to have around 750 lbs on your BS.

Remember to add anything else in or on your BS. For example, if your BS didn't come with a factory hitch receiver, then you have to add that weight to the total. If you put on a nudge bar with LED lights, you have to add that weight. Roof rack. Spart tire mount. Whatever you put on or in the BS has to be added.

But, all those numbers are under whatever your payload rating is and under the tow rating of the vehicle, so it's all good for your specific example ... which is what I said at the beginning.

Last edited:

OP
OP

tatmer

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thank you all for insight- I am only trying to figure this out as I trades in an older F-150 with tow package for this… no need for the details - but it would not ever get super close in weight with the T@G - this is a tag not the bigger tab - and we go super light - we have the trailer, a 35 lb canopy a couple lightweight backpacking chairs ( all of what we carry is lightweight backpacking gear) a couple lbs per piece vs several - we can replace the canopy with a 6 lb backpack version so there are options I can evaluate.

I can reach out to mfg to see if any accessories are all in - but the do have a 20 gallon propane and 1 battery standard. We do bring bottled water no tank water,the BL did come with the factory hitch. We can lighten the load for somethings but we do not do heavy camping, trailer, clothes and a few items

Thanks for the insight- I will probably load up and hit a CAT scale but wanted to see if my thoughts where in the park or way out of limits

OP
OP

tatmer

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thank you all for insight- I am only trying to figure this out as I trades in an older F-150 with tow package for this… no need for the details - but it would not ever get super close in weight with the T@G - this is a tag not the bigger tab - and we go super light - we have the trailer, a 35 lb canopy a couple lightweight backpacking chairs ( all of what we carry is lightweight backpacking gear) a couple lbs per piece vs several - we can replace the canopy with a 6 lb backpack version so there are options I can evaluate.

I can reach out to mfg to see if any accessories are all in - but the do have a 20 gallon propane and 1 battery standard. We do bring bottled water no tank water,the BL did come with the factory hitch. We can lighten the load for somethings but we do not do heavy camping, trailer, clothes and a few items

Thanks for the insight- I will probably load up and hit a CAT scale but wanted to see if my thoughts where in the park or way out of limits
Reached out and the mfg. noted that all but the propane and battery are included

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
A tundra towed the space Shuttle (30k lbs I believe) . Publicity stunt sure, and top speed was 2-3 mph if I remember. A bicycle can safely pull a 10k trailer on a flat hard surface if the gearing is right. Top speed will be very low. Same with your BS. Pulling is easy. STOPPING the towed Object is the concerning part. I’d suggest going slower and make extra room.

OP
OP

tatmer

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thank You - and I appreciate it - I usually only go 60-65 when towing even witht the F-150 - As noted I just want to be sure that it is possible without issue. Dont want a lower back end or raised hitch - just want to be able to pull the T@G and a few extra loaded items - but wanted to vet concept before finding out on tje road

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
It is important when towing trailers to be concious of tongue weight. It should be between 10% to 15% of trailer weight. With a small trailer like yours, you can use a bathroom scale to check that. The teardrops I've seen have the kitchen in the back, which if loaded wrong could make your trailer unstable. My friend loaded my utility trailer with most of the weight in the back and almost lost it on the freeway. Extra tongue weight isn't usually a problem unless you have a weak tongue or are maxing out the cargo capacity of your vehicle.

OP
OP

tatmer

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It does have a kitchen in back - it has the propane and battery on the front and any extra stuff we would have would be in the trailer more centered - small things - i think i would be between 186 and 202 pounds tongue weight

OP
OP

tatmer

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
One last question- 7 to 4 pin…. The F-150 had a 7 pin while the BS has a 4 pin - I understand i lose the battery charging and backup lights - but also brake controller.

I did not have a brake controller in the F-150 it was not an option that was included so I towed the same
Trailer without it - Is this going to be an issue for a lightweight teardrop trailer.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
You usually don't see electric brakes on trailers the weight that the BS can tow (around 2k). Cheers!

OP
OP

tatmer

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This one does as confirmed. So that goes back to my original question- it has always had them, I never had a controller that I knew of (nothing on the dash ) and unless automatic never used - so will it be an issue if they are not used on a 1500 lb teardrop ( maybe 1800 when loaded)
Sponsored