Thoughts on Snow Tires?

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
This is my thinking, I have Falken AT3Ws, these and the KO2's are 3-peak winter rated, airing down the psi a bit might help on ice. But is anything "good" on ice?
I try to run a few psi less during the winter to help, but that can be difficult to do without triggering TPMS. I run studded tires on both our current daily drivers, a '12 Focus and '06 SuperDuty.
Sponsored

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
This is my thinking, I have Falken AT3Ws, these and the KO2's are 3-peak winter rated, airing down the psi a bit might help on ice. But is anything "good" on ice?
Pretty much only blizzacks and studded. I prefer studded. I ran studded on a rear wheel drive Miata on the iceā€¦used for ice racing. Ran studded on wrangler in Denver ā€¦digs in.

Other than those sheer ice and cars do not mix. Even at slow speeds.

When iI was a LEO I worked many multi car accidents on ice roads that included every type of tire and car where they slowly just slid into each other. And cant tell you how many 4x4s we retrieved from ditches. i rarely saw studded tire cars in those accidents.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Actual winter tires are great if you live somewhere where roads are sheet ice or packed snow for most of the winter. I've never had winter tires, but drove a friend's BMW 3 series wagon which had studded Blizzak's in CO during a trip and it was amazing how well it handled getting up the mountain.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
good point, ice is a whole different ball game. add to that we see some -40 Celsius days at times .... i'm getting too old for our manitoba winters hahaha.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
good point, ice is a whole different ball game. add to that we see some -40 Celsius days at times .... i'm getting too old for our manitoba winters hahaha.
Oh man no way, I'm in MN and hate the 20 degree winters. Few years back we had that -50 crap, I just hibernated.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh man no way, I'm in MN and hate the 20 degree winters. Few years back we had that -50 crap, I just hibernated.
i try not to think about it much haha. if we can make it thru january and february, it (kinda) starts to warm up after that

DavidJo3

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
What are peoples thought about snow tires?
I've got a Big Bend with the stock Continental tires.
Think they're necessary?

I'm living in Brooklyn, NY. Mostly city driving with occasional trips to upstate where it can get a little hairy.
Unfortunately, I found that the factory tires have already worn out at 11 months with 15,000 miles in regular driving (mostly highway). When we picked up the Bronco I shook my head at the new tires already thinking that within a year I would need a new set of 4. And here we are even after tire rotations!!! I am in NY and I wouldn't trust the factory tires in rain, ice, or snow. I noticed slippage and hydroplaning the first few months of having the Bronco. Terrible factory tires on the Badlands. Otherwise, I love the Bronco!

Jonnie T

Badlands
First Name
Jonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Blizzaks for me on all fours and dedicated winter rims (shown here just after pickup from dealer a couple of weeks ago). Especially for us in Ontario who have lots of 'lake-effect' snow as the winter progresses.

Ford Bronco Sport Thoughts on Snow Tires? Jonnie's Bronco Sport Badlands - Generic

Backpackster

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
In the past I had 4 or 5 consecutive ford rangers, usually manual 4wds. They were great little trucks except in the winter (Ontario). I usually loaded up the bed with salt or sand bags to weigh down the rear. It helped but still useless. Then I married a Finn. She insisted on Hakkapeliittaā€˜s. Boy that truck the could go where even the best 4wds couldnā€™t. Stunning difference. So Iā€™ve bought Hakkapeliittas ever since (Jeep Sahara, F150 and Bronco Sport). I have two young kids they make the vehicles feel safe.

Legacy40k

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Bronco Sport
I live in Ontario, I'll absolutely be getting snow tires for next winter. ( I don't expect to have my machine till late march Early April so won't use them this winter).
The plan is to put the snow tires on the grey rims coming with the vehicle, and then put the "Summers" onto a new set of bronze rims TBD - should look good on Velocity Blue.

Slvoss

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport base
just my 2 cents ... we had snow, then freezing rain, then snow again and cold overnight.
BFG K02's are pretty dicey on ice, really had to take my time slowing down at intersections. they are great for digging thru drifts and deep snow, but holy macaroni on sheer ice it's a different story ... i'm also probably going to get a dedicated winter/ice tire.

bronco sport is fun as heck tho, if you like to drift.
I had the same tires and same results. How does your BS handle as to when it comes to slicker/ snow packed roads. I feel the BS tends to grab everything and go all over the place. Canā€™t drive much over 40. .

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
I had the same tires and same results. How does your BS handle as to when it comes to slicker/ snow packed roads. I feel the BS tends to grab everything and go all over the place. Canā€™t drive much over 40. .
I went with Michelin X iceā€¦. So far really happy. No problems in deeper snow and handles hard packed icy streets nicely

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My stock Contiā€™s sucked in snow and sucked even worse in rain.
Hydroplaning is not fun.
Plus at 12,000 miles they were touching the yellow zone on my tire tread depth gage !
My Yoko Geolandars are great.
Iā€™ve had them for over two years on my escape. Now a set hold my Baby Bronc on the road ..

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well its been so damn cold here the last few weeks that i havent ventured very far, other than work and back. but the city hasnt plowed the streets much so theres alot of ice ridges. when changing lanes you really gotta watch. cause like you stated, they grab. just gotta drive slow when its icy.

ClineDesign

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OBX, 99 Chevy Silverado 2500, CT90
Putting on studded Falkens tomorrow using the stock 18" OBX wheels, will let you know how they work if we get more snow/ice. I've always used studded snow tires on my 2 long term Subarus and find I can go anywhere and stop quickly even on ice.
Sponsored