Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
This debate will always depend on where you live and the condition you experience in the winters. Where I live, All Weather tyres with the mountain snowflake symbol are great, and Nokian WRG series and A/T tires are popular in the pacific northwest lowlands since we deal with mostly rain and some slush and snow/ice.
Though in the mountains and interior BC True winter tyres are a must as that tends to be more snow ice and hardpacked roads and highways.

I have driven winters in all sorts of conditions with all-seasons, all-weathers and dedicated winters.
When driving a AWD vehicle with dedicated winter tyres, your golden.

I choose all-weather with the snowflakes usually, which are the shoes on my Escape, Kumho Solus HA32's, though with the Sport, I am leaning to Falken Wildpeak Trail A/T's for full time driving since we don't do heavy commuting anymore.

Since the OP in is NY, I'd say go with dedicated non-studded Winters.

Cheers
Sponsored

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
This debate will always depend on where you live and the condition you experience in the winters. Where I live, All Weather tyres with the mountain snowflake symbol are great, and Nokian WRG series and A/T tires are popular in the pacific northwest lowlands since we deal with mostly rain and some slush and snow/ice.
Though in the mountains and interior BC True winter tyres are a must as that tends to be more snow ice and hardpacked roads and highways.

I have driven winters in all sorts of conditions with all-seasons, all-weathers and dedicated winters.
When driving a AWD vehicle with dedicated winter tyres, your golden.

I choose all-weather with the snowflakes usually, which are the shoes on my Escape kUMHO sOLUS ha32, though with the sport, I am leaning to Falken Wildpeak Trail A/T's for full time driving since we don't do heavy commuting anymore.

Since the OP in is NY, I'd say go with dedicated non-studded Winters.

Cheers
I've driven some 5+ hour highways in the Falken 235AT and they ride smooth without a lot of road noise. I'd replace them with the same should the time come. Haven't seen winter yet but I like the odds in these.

denisyoung

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Hi. Changing tires for your favorite car is always the main topic. After all, when changing tires, a serious question arises as to which tires are better. Your favorite car needs good quality tires with very good cross-country ability. Yes, I found check this page for all terrain tires the quality of these tires is excellent, I can ride in any weather and on different surfaces with pleasure.

Aftika

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2012 Honda Odyssey
Where I live Winter Tires are almost a must have item. I like studs as I live on a fairly steep semi mountain / large hill etc... and we get a lot of deep snow then freeze thaw and so on.

On my old F250 I had Goodyear - Wrangler DuraTracs (Studded) for winter and the same for summer (unstudded)
On our Honda Odyssey I have Pirelli - Winter Ice Zero (Studded) on 4 rims for Winter
I just got my Bronco Sport and I got 4 General Altimax Artic 12 Tires (Studded) on rims for her as well.

The Duratracs are... well what can I say - they are awesome.
The Studded Pirelli tires... Got to say they are really good - love them
I cannot say anything for the General Altimax yet - not tried them yet BUT I expect them to be good. I wanted the Pirelli's for the BS as well but They didn't have the factory studs in stock so I went with the Altimax's.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Where I live Winter Tires are almost a must have item. I like studs as I live on a fairly steep semi mountain / large hill etc... and we get a lot of deep snow then freeze thaw and so on.

On my old F250 I had Goodyear - Wrangler DuraTracs (Studded) for winter and the same for summer (unstudded)
On our Honda Odyssey I have Pirelli - Winter Ice Zero (Studded) on 4 rims for Winter
I just got my Bronco Sport and I got 4 General Altimax Artic 12 Tires (Studded) on rims for her as well.

I cannot say anything for the General Altimax yet - not tried them yet BUT I expect them to be good. I wanted the Pirelli's for the BS as well but They didn't have the factory studs in stock so I went with the Altimax's.
Up north I bet you need studded tires. I've got dedicated winter tires on steel rims for my VW TDI and Mini JCW but for any vehicle with 4x4 I leave my atr's on all year long. Unless you live in the country, Buffalo or the Catskills you don't need them in NY

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

Studded tires are great for icy areas or even on the hardpack snow. When I lived in Vermont I had them. But once it gets about an inch plus of loose snow, it's gonna come down to the tread. If I was in Canada I'd just make sure I had a 3 snowflake tire with solid tread, studs would be a bonus.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco

I agree on the Duratracs. I run a studded set on my Superduty in the winter. We have studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta on our '12 Focus. We live in the mountains too and these tires make all the difference.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
Ordered my winter tires today (Michelin X ice)...had a close call last nite and that was all I needed. Never had em but the wife does and it makes a huge diff. Going on next week.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
just my 2 cents ... we had snow, then freezing rain, then snow again and cold overnight.
BFG K02's are pretty dicey on ice, really had to take my time slowing down at intersections. they are great for digging thru drifts and deep snow, but holy macaroni on sheer ice it's a different story ... i'm also probably going to get a dedicated winter/ice tire.

bronco sport is fun as heck tho, if you like to drift.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
just my 2 cents ... we had snow, then freezing rain, then snow again and cold overnight.
BFG K02's are pretty dicey on ice, really had to take my time slowing down at intersections. they are great for digging thru drifts and deep snow, but holy macaroni on sheer ice it's a different story ... i'm also probably going to get a dedicated winter/ice tire.

Yeah I had no problem with take offs and going thru snow it was the stopping/cornering on ice that scared me. Was on a downward slope intersection yesterday. I was stopped and the Bronco just started sliding on it's own.....that made the decision for me....good thing the guy in front of me took off just in time.

Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan

thats really good feedback. In Minnesota we run into those conditions quite often. I was thinking ko2s we’re gonna be my nice middle ground to not run two sets of wheels/tires

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco

Although never as good as a dedicated set of winter tires, I've always had good luck with KO2's in as they have a softer compound. What tire pressure are you running?

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I run KO2s now on FJ and that is for occasional snow runs. They are decent.

I have lived throughout the Intermountain west (utah,Colorado…) so I have played the major snow canyons ice games. In those cases nothing beats owning 2 sets. One dedicated to winter.

When I was in Denver I had a wrangler where I threw on studded snows in the winter….hello pass snow plows and pulled people out of ditches during blizzards!!!!
❄❄☃

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
thats really good feedback. In Minnesota we run into those conditions quite often. I was thinking ko2s we’re gonna be my nice middle ground to not run two sets of wheels/tires
yup, i'm thinking along the same lines. chunky K02s for summer camping and some sticky
Although never as good as a dedicated set of winter tires, I've always had good luck with KO2's in as they have a softer compound. What tire pressure are you running?
that's what i am thinking too. i'll be checking pressures after work as i suspect they are overinflated. i'm not at all saying they are terrible tires, infact i love them. they look great, solid offroad, dig like heck. but on sheer ice, and it isnt even cold yet, just have to drive with caution.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
This is my thinking, I have Falken AT3Ws, these and the KO2's are 3-peak winter rated, airing down the psi a bit might help on ice. But is anything "good" on ice?
Sponsored