NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Sounds like you're using a front wheel hitch carrier. Have you actually checked your hitch weight on a scale? I would think almost 1/2 of the weight would be on the back wheel. If you haven't weighed it, go to a truck scale (usually at truck stops) and pull forward until just the back bike tire is on the scale. Subtract that from the weight of the bike and hitch and it will tell you your tongue weight.

Alternatively, you might want to consider a lightweight folding trailer. Harbor Freight sells one for $520 with a capacity of 1195 lbs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Sounds like you're using a front wheel hitch carrier. Have you actually checked your hitch weight on a scale? I would think almost 1/2 of the weight would be on the back wheel. If you haven't weighed it, go to a truck scale (usually at truck stops) and pull forward until just the back bike tire is on the scale. Subtract that from the weight of the bike and hitch and it will tell you your tongue weight.

Alternatively, you might want to consider a lightweight folding trailer. Harbor Freight sells one for $520 with a capacity of 1195 lbs.
Here is carrier
MotoTote m3 - Premium Hitch-Mount Motorcycle Carrier with Ramp for Dirt Bike, Scooter & Moped & Motorcycle - 500 lbs. Capacity https://a.co/d/i55cnH5

60lbs

If you're referring to the type of carriers where the front wheel is mounted to the hitch and back wheel is still on the ground, I'd never use one of those haha those rear tires cost about $220 and the soft composite rubber only gets about 8-10k miles before center tread is low.

I will check out the trailers. The motote carrier I have is just extremely convenient. Can be stowed up and hung on the wall or even thrown in the back of the vehicle if need be. Single car garage with the broncos sport and motorcycle in it do not leave me much room for a trailer. Someday a bigger garage will be a thing but not today.

These
https://theusatrailerstore.com/alpha-sport-single-ride-up-folding-motorcycle-trailer/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzdOlBhCNARIsAPMwjbwkQh66RIOYchBfVHkTjB9eDsygeKF4Mqlvv-tXRgldamlk92eI1qYaAvq-EALw_wcB

are the only motorcycle specific fold up trailers I'm finding and they push well over a grand or two. I think the harbor freight ones come just the frame, would need to outfit it with a base.

Last edited:

DadofTim

Outer Banks
First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks, 2013 Mustang Convertable
"Before using a motorcycle carrier, there are several factors to consider to ensure that the transportation process is safe and effective. These factors include the weight of the motorcycle, the weight capacity of the carrier, and the hitch class of the vehicle. It is essential to ensure that the weight of the motorcycle does not exceed the weight capacity of the carrier to avoid overloading it. Similarly, the hitch class of the vehicle should be compatible with the motorcycle carrier to ensure that it can support the weight of the motorcycle."

https://bikepics.com/blog/can-you-put-a-motorcycle-on-a-hitch-pros-and-cons-tips/

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
"Before using a motorcycle carrier, there are several factors to consider to ensure that the transportation process is safe and effective. These factors include the weight of the motorcycle, the weight capacity of the carrier, and the hitch class of the vehicle. It is essential to ensure that the weight of the motorcycle does not exceed the weight capacity of the carrier to avoid overloading it. Similarly, the hitch class of the vehicle should be compatible with the motorcycle carrier to ensure that it can support the weight of the motorcycle."

https://bikepics.com/blog/can-you-put-a-motorcycle-on-a-hitch-pros-and-cons-tips/
Yes hence making this topic for discussion in regards to modifications taken to possibly exceed the rated tongue weight. It's been done on other vehicles and its been done on this one. God forbid anyone discuss going outside the "manufactured recommendations"

And given the fact you haven't read through the thread I'll inform you it's been stated numerous times the tongue weight would be tested in a non civilian commuting environment before trying anything that may endanger others.

Now had I simply created a topic stating "I ran 400lbs on my hitch down the highway at 70mph and no issues" then there would be warrant for concern and criticism as what I did would have been dangerous and irresponsible, yet that's not the case. If the topic offends you in some way I apologize, maybe stop posting and move on to a topic you can be a bit more pro active in and less of a troll.

And for reference again had you read anything you'd know the hitch class isn't the issue.

DadofTim

Outer Banks
First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks, 2013 Mustang Convertable
Yes hence making this topic for discussion in regards to modifications taken to possibly exceed the rated tongue weight. It's been done on other vehicles and its been done on this one. God forbid anyone discuss going outside the "manufactured recommendations"

And given the fact you haven't read through the thread I'll inform you it's been stated numerous times the tongue weight would be tested in a non civilian commuting environment before trying anything that may endanger others.

Now had I simply created a topic stating "I ran 400lbs on my hitch down the highway at 70mph and no issues" then there would be warrant for concern and criticism as what I did would have been dangerous and irresponsible, yet that's not the case. If the topic offends you in some way I apologize, maybe stop posting and move on to a topic you can be a bit more pro active in and less of a troll.

And for reference again had you read anything you'd know the hitch class isn't the issue.
Unfortunately, your testing will never include the unexpected. Safety standards are there for a reason, they are not a suggestion nor just a guide. You may also want to consider that as you travel down our highways you may have to make a sudden movement not "tested" in a non-civilian commuting environment. That may cause your load to leave your vehicle and cause an accident that endangers other lives.
I have been behind such vehicles and seen the aftermath. You have apparently made up your mind and are not interested in dissent. Good Luck with your project, may the unexpected never cross your path.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Unfortunately, your testing will never include the unexpected. Safety standards are there for a reason, they are not a suggestion nor just a guide. You may also want to consider that as you travel down our highways you may have to make a sudden movement not "tested" in a non-civilian commuting environment. That may cause your load to leave your vehicle and cause an accident that endangers other lives.
I have been behind such vehicles and seen the aftermath. You have apparently made up your mind and are not interested in dissent. Good Luck with your project, may the unexpected never cross your path.
Well yeah obviously, there is an extreme amount of nuance around "unexpected", of course no one (even car manufactuer safety standards) can account and test for every unexpected scenario, even factory equipment can be faulty and dangerous in certain conditions.

Big Ben

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
So I have been contemplating trying this out to see how the BS badlands handles it. It would be very convenient to be able to do this as my wife and I love traveling and bringing my motorcycle (much easier for us to put around cities and park) I currenlty have the RC suspension installed, it gave me about a 2in lift after settled in instead of the 1.5in advertised, was pleastantly surprised. Curt Tow Hitch rated for 550lb, and I'm going to add in an air lift kit with about 20-30psi in the springs. Now my motorcycle weighs about 340lbs plus a mototote 60lbs. Will attempting adding increase weight to from of vehicle as well Looking at 400lb direct tongue weight. Any sign of weird driving at highway speeds and I'm pulling over, but for some reason I feel like this set up wil be able to handle over the factory tongue weight recommendation unless I'm misunderstanding the physics that can cause issues. From research it seems it's not so much a chassis or engine issue but more so a weight distribution issue at speed, which I'm attempting to negate as much as possible. Thoughts, experiences ???
There is a lot more to consider than tongue weight. You have to have 10 to 15% of the trailer weight on the hitch. So a 400 pound tongue weight puts your trailer over 4000 pounds. Way over limit. You also have to stay within the GCWR of trailer and truck, within the GVWR of your truck and under the GAWR for the rear axle. My Big Bend has a trailer limit of 1720 pounds as it sits. Increasing the tongue weight does not change any if these limits.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
There is a lot more to consider than tongue weight. You have to have 10 to 15% of the trailer weight on the hitch. So a 400 pound tongue weight puts your trailer over 4000 pounds. Way over limit. You also have to stay within the GCWR of trailer and truck, within the GVWR of your truck and under the GAWR for the rear axle. My Big Bend has a trailer limit of 1720 pounds as it sits. Increasing the tongue weight does not change any if these limits.
Nothing is going to be getting towed.

The speculating is purely on weight directly on the hitch. Where are the speculative limitations against the stated modifications carrying increased weight directly on the hitch. NO TOWING, I wouldn't dream of trying to tow 4,000lbs with this thing.

vsvpvrv

Big Bend
First Name
Arvyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
So I have been contemplating trying this out to see how the BS badlands handles it. It would be very convenient to be able to do this as my wife and I love traveling and bringing my motorcycle (much easier for us to put around cities and park) I currenlty have the RC suspension installed, it gave me about a 2in lift after settled in instead of the 1.5in advertised, was pleastantly surprised. Curt Tow Hitch rated for 550lb, and I'm going to add in an air lift kit with about 20-30psi in the springs. Now my motorcycle weighs about 340lbs plus a mototote 60lbs. Will attempting adding increase weight to from of vehicle as well

Looking at 400lb direct tongue weight. Any sign of weird driving at highway speeds and I'm pulling over, but for some reason I feel like this set up wil be able to handle over the factory tongue weight recommendation unless I'm misunderstanding the physics that can cause issues. From research it seems it's not so much a chassis or engine issue but more so a weight distribution issue at speed, which I'm attempting to negate as much as possible. Thoughts, experiences ???
Did you ever do tow it around on a hitch?

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Did you ever do tow it around on a hitch?
hey there, I have not, I have not had any reason to do so. I'll be sure to update if the necessity ever arrises and I do indeed load it on the back.

vsvpvrv

Big Bend
First Name
Arvyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey there, I have not, I have not had any reason to do so. I'll be sure to update if the necessity ever arrises and I do indeed load it on the back.
Damn, okay, i just got a grom and was trying to do use a motorcycle hitch also.
After one year you havent towed it?!!! Lol

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Damn, okay, i just got a grom and was trying to do use a motorcycle hitch also.
After one year you havent towed it?!!! Lol
No, have not had to tow it or haul it anywhere, i ride it to work just about every day when the weather is permitable. Occasional weekend road trips up into the mountains on it, but luckily we've had no need to load it up. My bike being about 120lbs heavier then your average grom I really think you'd be ok throwing it on a motorcycle carrier, but that's just my 2 cents

vsvpvrv

Big Bend
First Name
Arvyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, have not had to tow it or haul it anywhere, i ride it to work just about every day when the weather is permitable. Occasional weekend road trips up into the mountains on it, but luckily we've had no need to load it up. My bike being about 120lbs heavier then your average grom I really think you'd be ok throwing it on a motorcycle carrier, but that's just my 2 cents
Was thinking the same. Grom and carrier would only be about 60lbs over.....

Thanks!!

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Was thinking the same. Grom and carrier would only be about 60lbs over.....

Thanks!!
Cheers, and good luck let me know if you get it done and how it works out !
Sponsored