haroldqjr

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Hello, its been a while since I posted here but I figured I should because I have a couple questions about possible parts to add to my BS. I already have the rough country nudge bar and love it. I am also interested in getting a Yakima cargo basket, which size and model works for the BS for those that have one? Would I need crossbars or does it mount to the bars on the car? Is it any good? I would also like to try and get some amber sidepod lights and a switch panel that are good for the price. Sorry for all the questions but I figured if a place had answers it would be here.
Sponsored

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yakima's baskets can mount either to crossbars or on the side rails if you want the profile to be lower. Depends on which of their hardware you use.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/yakima-offgrid-basket-installed.2586/

Personally, I think the basket and rails is the best setup. Sits up higher but with the right combination of basket and rails you can still use the rails as needed next to it. I don't have a basket yet but last week I threw my kayak on the rails, then strapped my fishing rods down next to it using these: https://niteize.com/gear-tie-mega-twist-tie

Just this week I transported multiple 16ft lengths of trim to the house using the same setup. A basket without rails would have made the trim impossible to transport.

Also, I'd recommend springing for the Yakima HD bars over their other options. There's an integrated tie down point on the ends that makes attaching a tarp awning or really anything else to it a breeze.

Lastly: I've owned Yakima and Thule gear over the years. More expensive than typical Amazon Chinesium but it lasts and the customer support *plus parts interoperability* is bar none the best.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Hello, its been a while since I posted here but I figured I should because I have a couple questions about possible parts to add to my BS. I already have the rough country nudge bar and love it. I am also interested in getting a Yakima cargo basket, which size and model works for the BS for those that have one? Would I need crossbars or does it mount to the bars on the car? Is it any good? I would also like to try and get some amber sidepod lights and a switch panel that are good for the price. Sorry for all the questions but I figured if a place had answers it would be here.
How many things have you nudged?

OP
OP

haroldqjr

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Yakima's baskets can mount either to crossbars or on the side rails if you want the profile to be lower. Depends on which of their hardware you use.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/yakima-offgrid-basket-installed.2586/

Personally, I think the basket and rails is the best setup. Sits up higher but with the right combination of basket and rails you can still use the rails as needed next to it. I don't have a basket yet but last week I threw my kayak on the rails, then strapped my fishing rods down next to it using these: https://niteize.com/gear-tie-mega-twist-tie

Just this week I transported multiple 16ft lengths of trim to the house using the same setup. A basket without rails would have made the trim impossible to transport.

Also, I'd recommend springing for the Yakima HD bars over their other options. There's an integrated tie down point on the ends that makes attaching a tarp awning or really anything else to it a breeze.

Lastly: I've owned Yakima and Thule gear over the years. More expensive than typical Amazon Chinesium but it lasts and the customer support *plus parts interoperability* is bar none the best.
Thanks so much, clears a lot up

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I was with the rhino rack pioneer platform at first. Then thinking the Yakima platform. But after deliberation and testing. I came out with a Rola basket from Amazon and the thing has been amazing, not to mention about $300-$400 cheaper then the other two options. The rails on the basket really are a game changer and are something you'd pay extra $$$ for on the other two. Comes with an extender middle piece if you'd want it to be the entire length of the roof but for now the standard length has been plenty extra space for me. Will be mounting a permanent 66L roam case to it in a couple days. Goal is to eventually install a yukka roof rack but for $900 I'm going to being waiting and investing in some other things first.

Some shots of it loaded up with things. Shorter low speed trips heavier items like loaded coolers didn't need to be strapped down, easy to bungie or tie other things down

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230702_170139526.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230702_170221732.PORTRAIT

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230728_162545857.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~3

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230809_004118644.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230809_004227288.PORTRAIT

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230810_122537615.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230810_122617515.PORTRAIT~2

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230814_160849724.PORTRAIT~3

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230812_182559043.PORTRAIT~2

Also being a gear edc nerd I use these locking carabiners to lock and tie down bags and other things. Matador equipment makes them. They are so freaking cool for just securing and locking things up anywhere.
Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230819_165140864.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230819_165128395.PORTRAIT

Last edited:

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
Me thinks you’re behind the curve for a Money Pit. 🤣

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
@JohnSilver I really like the low profile of that setup.

Wonder if the moonroof would interfere?
good question, and tbh I am using some amazon stealth crossbars, and I actually flattened them out just a bit to get more of a low profile stance. does the mooroof when open sit above the factory rails?

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Good question John. I don't believe it does but it is damned close.
I think you'd be find then generally any cross bars you mount will give you some elevation above the factory rails. From experience, my reocmmendations purchasing anything I'd go through amazon or e-trailer just because they have a good return policy, in case things don't fit or work out.

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I already have the Yakima towers with their HD bars but am kicking around maybe getting a basket and swapping in and out depending on my trip. Beach? Basket. Lake and bringing the kayak? Bars.

Lower profile is better far as I'm concerned.

T_Stiffler

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I was with the rhino rack pioneer platform at first. Then thinking the Yakima platform. But after deliberation and testing. I came out with a Rola basket from Amazon and the thing has been amazing, not to mention about $300-$400 cheaper then the other two options. The rails on the basket really are a game changer and are something you'd pay extra $$$ for on the other two. Comes with an extender middle piece if you'd want it to be the entire length of the roof but for now the standard length has been plenty extra space for me. Will be mounting a permanent 66L roam case to it in a couple days. Goal is to eventually install a yukka roof rack but for $900 I'm going to being waiting and investing in some other things first.

Some shots of it loaded up with things. Shorter low speed trips heavier items like loaded coolers didn't need to be strapped down, easy to bungie or tie other things down

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230702_170139526.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230702_170221732.PORTRAIT

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230728_162545857.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~3

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230809_004118644.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230809_004227288.PORTRAIT

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230810_122537615.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230810_122617515.PORTRAIT~2

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230814_160849724.PORTRAIT~3

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230812_182559043.PORTRAIT~2

Also being a gear edc nerd I use these locking carabiners to lock and tie down bags and other things. Matador equipment makes them. They are so freaking cool for just securing and locking things up anywhere.
Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230819_165140864.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Thinking of making my Bronco Sport a money pit PXL_20230819_165128395.PORTRAIT

Looks badass dude! Are you saying the rack set up from amazon comes with cross rails already to mount?

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Looks badass dude! Are you saying the rack set up from amazon comes with cross rails already to mount?
Thank you, so factory rails on the bronco sport. Then I purchased "steatlh" cross bars for like $70 I think they were, flattened em out a bit more for more of a low profile. Then purchased the Rola Roof Basket, I believe it was like $170 at the time. So all in $240 for that set up.

T_Stiffler

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Thank you, so factory rails on the bronco sport. Then I purchased "steatlh" cross bars for like $70 I think they were, flattened em out a bit more for more of a low profile. Then purchased the Rola Roof Basket, I believe it was like $170 at the time. So all in $240 for that set up.

Gotcha I appreciate it! Im installing rough country lightbar in same spot you have yours this weekend how crazy is that install?
Sponsored