gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Yes. Another one.

But maybe this one is a little bit more focused. Here's where I am:

1) Especially after I get my subwoofer and amp wired up in the back, I will be hurting for space.
2) The roof side rails make for great extra storage space and other stuff, and I want to take advantage.
3) I don't know sh!t from sh!nola about roof rack systems. I'd like to not spend out the wazzoo, but I don't wanna spend money on chinese knockoff garbage either
4) I do know the 3 things that I want from roof storage are probably:
a. basket storage
b. awning storage
c. canoe storage
All 3 of those are critical to what I will be doing with this vehicle.
5) I've been impressed with the Yakima roof rails (probably the marketing and word of mouth, to be honest...but thats important to me sometimes).
6) I don't mind the look of the timberline. And I don't mind the 60 inch. In fact, my eyeball is set hard on that awning, and I think the xtra height will be good.
7) There's a Memorial Day sale at Yakima.
8) I'm torn between the "jetstream" and saving $50 by using the "corebars".

Ford Bronco Sport The ubiquitous roof rack system thread. 1684627369665

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? Is that a good deal? Should I pull the trigger?
Sponsored

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The same "package" with the corebars instead of the jetstreams comes out to like 460 or 470.

I also take it the locks are like a necessary thing?

Makes you wonder why they're not just included with the bars. 🙄

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
It's a decent deal. I would get the Jetstream for sure over the CoreBars. You then have to make a decision on your setup, or buy multiple things. You can get a skinny basket that takes up half the roof and still have room to get a canoe on there most likely (depending on the canoe and how you mount it) or buy a full size basket and mount the canoe on top of it, but you'll lose the storage of most of the basket. Keep in mind that with a moonroof the roof weight is 100lbs and 150lbs without. You'll need to take the weight of the basket into consideration if you want to have both at the same time.

Locks are a must in my opinion.

For baskets search craigslist or Facebook messenger

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a decent deal. I would get the Jetstream for sure over the CoreBars. You then have to make a decision on your setup, or buy multiple things. You can get a skinny basket that takes up half the roof and still have room to get a canoe on there most likely (depending on the canoe and how you mount it) or buy a full size basket and mount the canoe on top of it, but you'll lose the storage of most of the basket. Keep in mind that with a moonroof the roof weight is 100lbs and 150lbs without. You'll need to take the weight of the basket into consideration if you want to have both at the same time.

Locks are a must in my opinion.

For baskets search craigslist or Facebook messenger
Thank you for the vote of confidence in the jetstreams. And with the weight limit you've informed me of, it makess sense to save a little with the aluminum instead of the steel.

I'll definitely ponder the combination possibilities once the base system is in. Maybe for 4th of July sales or something. For right now, I just wanna make sure I'm getting the correct "base system".

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Thank you for the vote of confidence in the jetstreams. And with the weight limit you've informed me of, it makess sense to save a little with the aluminum instead of the steel.

I'll definitely ponder the combination possibilities once the base system is in. Maybe for 4th of July sales or something. For right now, I just wanna make sure I'm getting the correct "base system".
Can't go wrong with Yakima or Thule. Basically matching systems. You can check the Thule Evo for sales as well. Also come in 53in and 60in and similar feet

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know how easy it is to do this, or of what quality it would be if u got it on the cheap........, but the ability to pull over and do this, would mean everything to me and my family. Its kinda why I'm chasing the Yakima. The quality of this awning looks incredible.

Ford Bronco Sport The ubiquitous roof rack system thread. 1684629137078

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
Yakima is great. It's what I have. But honestly, I'd look at Frontline or RhinoRack. They're very good and a lot cheaper. It's not just the rack itself, it's also the accessories. Yakima is rather expensive in that regard.

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Yes. Another one.

But maybe this one is a little bit more focused. Here's where I am:

1) Especially after I get my subwoofer and amp wired up in the back, I will be hurting for space.
2) The roof side rails make for great extra storage space and other stuff, and I want to take advantage.
3) I don't know sh!t from sh!nola about roof rack systems. I'd like to not spend out the wazzoo, but I don't wanna spend money on chinese knockoff garbage either
4) I do know the 3 things that I want from roof storage are probably:
a. basket storage
b. awning storage
c. canoe storage
All 3 of those are critical to what I will be doing with this vehicle.
5) I've been impressed with the Yakima roof rails (probably the marketing and word of mouth, to be honest...but thats important to me sometimes).
6) I don't mind the look of the timberline. And I don't mind the 60 inch. In fact, my eyeball is set hard on that awning, and I think the xtra height will be good.
7) There's a Memorial Day sale at Yakima.
8) I'm torn between the "jetstream" and saving $50 by using the "corebars".

Ford Bronco Sport The ubiquitous roof rack system thread. 1684627369665

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? Is that a good deal? Should I pull the trigger?
We just bought the Yakima "aero" bars, they are very sturdy and look great. This part won't apply to your application but it might to others. We installed the small Thule clamshell style pod. I am amazed how cheap and thin the top part it. It flexes and shakes like it's going to fly right off. For over 500.00 I expected more. I guarantee you I could pry this open very easily when locked. The store said "make sure the locks are both engaged or the lid will fly off". It's so flexible that the lock may not engage due to misalignment. They didn't have that model on display. The ones in the showroom, various brands were mostly much sturdier. Had I had the opportunity to do a hands on inspection I probably would have chosen something different.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
For tying down your canoe, take at look at Boncas Hood Loop Straps. I made my own, and it is a slick way to tie down the front of the canoe. When it is windy, you'll need that.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Alright, this post looks a little old but I will try to revive it. I have the yakima aerobars with timberline system, I like it fine, take in on and take it off easily. What i also thought would be nice is a roof basket, but I don't like the height that they get, so I have been looking for something that nestles sort of level or underneath the bars. Basically, I want to protect my roof without putting a tall basket on it. I haven't found a basket that sits low enough for me so I thought about a DIY rack and came across this video.

Anybody try to build their own yet?
Sponsored