BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I think some trims have a L button which just locks it in 1st. My Badlands has the M button which switches it to manual shifting.
Oh okay interesting. I didnt know that. Mine has the M button as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Burke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I probably should have said that the gear selection is PRND and a button, L, for low. My first impression is that the low gear was for slower speeds. Guess I'll just hit some scenic roads this weekend and see what works best.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I probably should have said that the gear selection is PRND and a button, L, for low. My first impression is that the low gear was for slower speeds. Guess I'll just hit some scenic roads this weekend and see what works best.
Give Low a try when going down a steep road, or even when climbing up. I've shifted to 2nd or 1st gear many times in other vehicles and it allows for more engine braking to save the brakes when going down hill, and more torque when going up hill. Personally I would always shift to a lower gear when going at slower speeds to prevent RPMs from jumping up so high.

OP
OP
First Name
Burke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I agree. With my Cherokee I would put it in second driving down long steep grades but I never put it in Low unless I was going less than 10 mph.

rninja

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Drove through Allen's Park, Estes Park, and some of Johnny Park trail on the side in the snow before going back to the front range. I stayed in normal mode and hit the paddle shifters to downshift from 6th gear to 5th or 4th (enough to brake and try to remain under 4000-5000 RPM).

I was wondering if there was something easier because heading east down the mountains on I-70 can be nerve-wracking from the other drivers. Let us know if you get anything official back from Ford.

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
So I think some trims have a L button which just locks it in 1st. My Badlands has the M button which switches it to manual shifting.
You are correct. Badlands has the M in the middle of the shift nob and paddle shifters. All other trims have a L and no paddle shifters.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Well, I had my OB in Sand mode , Low button activated in the GOAT selector for loose Sand on the Beach & forgot to take it out of Low when I got back on US 1 & was doing about 45 mph & of course I noticed it wasn't shifting & remembered to switch out of Low . Yes you could hear it revving & it was a very shot time before it was noticed .

I would use it for grade work , up or down .

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Some of you guys are amazing..
IT IS ALL in the owners manual !
Try reading it...
Starting down a grade I put my base in low once at 55 mph.
It did not go to 1st gear.
My base has no gear indicator.
It picked a gear, 4th I think, maybe 3rd.
Tac jumped from 2 something to I think it was 5300 rpm.
Not much engine braking in my light crank 3 banger engine.
If I'm in cruise control it downshifts for me but not as vigorously, tac jumps to 3500 rpm or so.
These are not heavy trucks, your brakes can take the heat on a long decent IF
*IF*
Your smart enough to hold a steady brake press and not pump.
Read the dang owners manual.....
This is exactly why I don't like buying used vehicles...
Can't find the LOW button..wowza...

OP
OP
First Name
Burke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thanks for all the replys. I think you ALL of you are Amazing ! I have no doubt that we all have been perusing our owners manuals. Thing is we have different set ups in our different models. Can't diss someone that can't find a button that isn't even there. Especially when they are trying to help someone.
Osco, it sounds like we have the same tranny set up and that it can be put in "L" at any speed as the owners manual states. But it still seams sketchy to me. My reasoning is that yesterday I came down my steep drive in L. But when I hit the road and got to 20 mph she was screaming for another gear selection. Maybe that is how it's supposed to work but my 40+ years of driving experience told me that was not a good noise or situation.g
bottom line is that the owners manual says that "L" can be selected at any speed. But Burke still has reservations on doing so. Once I finish a few things around the house I'll drive up to the App Gap and use " L" up and down and see how it does. Might even be able to get a pic of two.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Oh yeah that's what I found out.
Once the LOW button is used I think not 100% sure but I think there are no auto upshifts.
So it down shifts to 1st If your slow enough..
Sponsored