Steep Roads , Which Gear

First Name
Burke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hello everyone at tha BSF. I have a quick question. Do put my transmission in Low for going down the App Gap or Lincoln Gap ( in Vermont )? What about some of those really long steep roads out West? I've been looking but could not find an answer. Thanks, Burke
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Don't know if this will help...
I climb my steep gravel roads best at 8 to 12 mph and low holds my tac a little higher with a bit more Turbo boost. I have better throttle control at 2,000 to 2,500 rpm as opposed to 1500 to 1700...
Follow me ?

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
The Sport doesn't have a low range. The low in it is just first gear. That's strictly for very slow driving over obstacles.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The Sport doesn't have a low range. The low in it is just first gear. That's strictly for very slow driving over obstacles.
I don't think he was assuming there is a "low range" but rather a "low gear", which the BS does have. I think most BS owners know that there is not a 4x4 Low/4L on any trim.

Also, according to the user manual, "low" is not necessarily for "very slow driving over obstacles" like you claimed. See below:

Low(L)
With your vehicle in drive (D), press the low (L) button to activate low mode.
  • Provides maximum engine braking.
  • You can shift the transmission into low (L) at any vehicle speed.
  • Is not for use under extended or normal driving conditions and results in lower fuel economy.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I don't think he was assuming there is a "low range" but rather a "low gear", which the BS does have. I think most BS owners know that there is not a 4x4 Low/4L on any trim.

Also, according to the user manual, "low" is not necessarily for "very slow driving over obstacles" like you claimed. See below:

Low(L)
With your vehicle in drive (D), press the low (L) button to activate low mode.
  • Provides maximum engine braking.
  • You can shift the transmission into low (L) at any vehicle speed.
  • Is not for use under extended or normal driving conditions and results in lower fuel economy.
They asked about using it for driving down steep highways. It's not for that at all.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
They asked about using it for driving down steep highways. It's not for that at all.
I would disagree with that. Shifting to a lower gear is recommended when going down steep hills/declines to help slow you down and not burn up your brakes. It also says in the owner's manual that you can shift to Low at any speed.
  • Mountain Driving: Another reason to use low gear is when driving in hilly or mountainous terrain. Manually shifting to low gives you more power to climb steep inclines without putting extra stress on the engine. It can also be beneficial when descending a hill, as it will help to slow the vehicle and reduce the amount of braking you’ll have to do. Riding the brakes when going down a steep incline can cause them to overheat, which can lead to brake failure.

BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would disagree with that. Shifting to a lower gear is recommended when going down steep hills/declines to help slow you down and not burn up your brakes. It also says in the owner's manual that you can shift to Low at any speed.
  • Mountain Driving: Another reason to use low gear is when driving in hilly or mountainous terrain. Manually shifting to low gives you more power to climb steep inclines without putting extra stress on the engine. It can also be beneficial when descending a hill, as it will help to slow the vehicle and reduce the amount of braking you’ll have to do. Riding the brakes when going down a steep incline can cause them to overheat, which can lead to brake failure.
Where is the Low button located? ive read this in the manual too and now im trying to picture in my head where it is and i cant.. going to have to check this out next time i drive

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Where is the Low button located? ive read this in the manual too and now im trying to picture in my head where it is and i cant.. going to have to check this out next time i drive
Isn't it a button in the middle of the gear knob?

OP
OP
First Name
Burke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yes, I am talking about not burning up my brakes while going down a steep long paved road / state highway. In my older vehicles I just put them in second gear to use the engine to help keep the vehicle from going too fast.
I did see that I could put it in low at any speed but that kind of sounds suspicious to me. I came down my steep driveway in Low and forgot to turn it off when I hit the paved road. It was only a hundred yards and I could tell it was in first gear. I can not see going down a long steep grade at 45 mph in low. So do you just ride your brakes or does shifting to sport mode help ?? IDK , We have some long steep scenic drives in New England. Some are 20mph and others are 45mph.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Yes, I am talking about not burning up my brakes while going down a steep long paved road / state highway. In my older vehicles I just put them in second gear to use the engine to help keep the vehicle from going too fast.
I did see that I could put it in low at any speed but that kind of sounds suspicious to me. I came down my steep driveway in Low and forgot to turn it off when I hit the paved road. It was only a hundred yards and I could tell it was in first gear. I can not see going down a long steep grade at 45 mph in low. So do you just ride your brakes or does shifting to sport mode help ?? IDK , We have some long steep scenic drives in New England. Some are 20mph and others are 45mph.
Use sport mode it'll be in a higher RPM for downhill driving that's what I do in my Cherokee. If you need even more breaking from the engine put it in manual mode and downshift.

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Dude it's not a lower gear it's first gear you can't drive down the highway in first gear.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Dude it's not a lower gear it's first gear you can't drive down the highway in first gear.
I honestly don’t know what you are trying to say. You can absolutely drive down a highway road in 1st depending on how steep the road is. When decending long steep hills, you have to downshift to prevent wearing out brakes.
I don’t do it much anymore, because there are no mountain ms that big in Oklahoma.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Hello everyone at tha BSF. I have a quick question. Do put my transmission in Low for going down the App Gap or Lincoln Gap ( in Vermont )? What about some of those really long steep roads out West? I've been looking but could not find an answer. Thanks, Burke
Honestly, I would just put it in manual mode and shift down as low as needed.

OP
OP
First Name
Burke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thanks for all the responses. It seams that there is no definitive answer at this time. I think I will send an inquiry to Ford and see what they have to say about it. In the meantime I may hit the App Gap and try out sport mode for the descend. I do know that the sport mode is very lively on the trip to the top.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
So I think some trims have a L button which just locks it in 1st. My Badlands has the M button which switches it to manual shifting.
Sponsored