STEVEN TILLETT

First Edition
First Name
STEVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD BRONCO SPORT
The answer is yes and make sure you always remove (unscrew) the antenna before you enter a carwash. The reason being that some carwash brushes and / or cloth flaps will grab the antenna and twist it. Once this happens the base mount (which is only mounted to the roof with a small piece of metal) will move. Best case scenario is you can re-install through the rear light fixture in the headliner and you have not damaged the wiring which effects the FordPass reception. Worst case you have to replace it for about $400.00. I work at a Ford Dealership and have seen enough of these situations. Even if you install a smaller antenna remove it as a precaution..

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
My plan was to replace the OEM antenna with a low profile (1/4" high) "patch" antenna. That gets it out of the way for loading kayaks & bikes on the roof.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My general antennae knowledge,
Our factory antennae is a tuned length of copper wrapped a specific way, each loop set a specific distance from the next loop. This gives the most 'gain' for the radio for a given height from the ground plane, that being the roof of the vehicle.
A coil antennae half the length of stock does not loose half it's gain or sensitivity.
It's looses range, more like 10% at medium distances and more like 75% at extreme distances. (From transmission source)
My stock antennae is at its limits in my mountains, sometimes being totally blocked, no signal.
If it was half it's length I would be offline more often but not by half.
I would more likely notice more noise and less available stations.
It would cut my radios sensitivity to weaker stations. Obstructions, buildings, signals, noise will block and bleed through more often.
A strong station should still be clear and strong.
How's that for useless knowledge ,':D

OP
OP

SaabBoy2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles Cheese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-5 (2X) Saab 9-3
It worked! If you are looking for a shorter Antenna, this is the one. It's about 2-3 inches shorter than the stock antenna and the signal does not change. I live in an extremely hilly area and all stations (AM/FM/HD/XM) all work just as well. Use the smallest gold screw when you install it and have a pair of plyers with you too. Screw the gold part into the car first then attach the antenna on the gold screw. Attaching the gold screw into the antenna first makes it a little more difficult since the thread on the screw is better where is makes contact with the car and not the antenna if that makes sense. The plyers are for get the screw out of the roof in case you pick the wrong one.

Remote start and auto windows also still work. I don't know if they use the same antenna but just as an extra assurance.

Amazon.com: Mini Car Antenna 4.7inch Short Carbon Fiber Radio Antenna for Ford, Toyota, VW, Audi, Chevrolet, Nissan and Honda: Car Electronics

JimmyCubes

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
1.4" Short Carbon Fiber AM/FM Radio Antenna Aluminum Black Vehicle Car Aerial Universal Replacement by GTP

jamesreilly

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
1.4" Short Carbon Fiber AM/FM Radio Antenna Aluminum Black Vehicle Car Aerial Universal Replacement by GTP
I need s shorter antenna. Do you have a URL for this product? Thanks!

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered this one that looks similar to the one you linked. I plan on trying the stock antenna and new antenna in a couple spots around town to see how bad the difference is. A lot of the reviews on shorter antennas state the radio isn't as good. I'll be sure to check back when it's tested. If this new one doesn't work I might have to get the tin foil out and make my own antenna :crackup:

Amazon.com: Mini Car Antenna 4.7inch Short Carbon Fiber Radio Antenna for Ford, Toyota, VW, Audi, Chevrolet, Nissan and Honda: Car Electronics
Any word?