SaabBoy2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles Cheese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-5 (2X) Saab 9-3
Does anyone know if we can unscrew the antenna on the back? I'm about 3 inches too tall and the antenna whacks the top of the garage every time I pull in and out. I tried unscrewing it but it seems glued on. Does anyone else have this problem? About to take the scissors out and go topless :crackup:
Sponsored

AltarBoy

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’fusion
It looks like the same antenna the fusion has. It’s just tight. Use a jar opener pad thing and it should unscrew right off. They make shorty stub antennas that work just as well

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think you can actually move the stop on your opener to have it close higher.If you know what I mean.Unless of course you are maxed out already.
YES, the stick antenna is installed by the dealer so it has to be removeable -- but I'm sorry I don't know how. Lots of them driving around on test drives that way, the antenna is in a little plastic bag in the back. YES, do the the travel adjustment on your garage door opener first! Unless you are blessed with an especially low garage door frame, that's the way to get the 3" you need, if there is enough space left in front of the safety stop on the opener rail (or whatever your setup is).

OP
OP

SaabBoy2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles Cheese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-5 (2X) Saab 9-3
After checking out the garage door and using curing like a sailor, my garage door goes up as far as it can. My physical house is the issue. Somehow the outline of my house for the garage door is not standard size? I plan on giving the antenna a good tug when I get home to see if it comes off. Closer expectation last night makes me think they glued it on.

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
After checking out the garage door and using curing like a sailor, my garage door goes up as far as it can. My physical house is the issue. Somehow the outline of my house for the garage door is not standard size? I plan on giving the antenna a good tug when I get home to see if it comes off. Closer expectation last night makes me think they glued it on.
Don't do that, you'll just end up ripping off the shark fin. The stick antenna is definitely screwed in.

OP
OP

SaabBoy2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles Cheese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-5 (2X) Saab 9-3
OP
OP

SaabBoy2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles Cheese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-5 (2X) Saab 9-3

Well Unfortunately this antenna I ordered did not fit. The base was too big. Going back to the drawing board. I'll be back when I test another Antenna.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well Unfortunately this antenna I ordered did not fit. The base was too big. Going back to the drawing board. I'll be back when I test another Antenna.
Looks like lots of 'stubby antenna' alternatives on Amazon, if one fits. This one appears to have a small assortment of adapting studs for different fits: https://www.amazon.com/GTP-Antenna-Aluminum-Vehicle-Replacement/dp/B072FMWTXW/ref=psdc_3230976011_t5_B07VFTGGYP . I'd want it to work really well though -- since I'm paying for digital AM/FM HD radio. I guess I wouldn't want to break this thing off hitting anything, either -- but it's only 3".

OP
OP

SaabBoy2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles Cheese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-5 (2X) Saab 9-3
Looks like lots of 'stubby antenna' alternatives on Amazon, if one fits. This one appears to have a small assortment of adapting studs for different fits: https://www.amazon.com/GTP-Antenna-Aluminum-Vehicle-Replacement/dp/B072FMWTXW/ref=psdc_3230976011_t5_B07VFTGGYP . I'd want it to work really well though -- since I'm paying for digital AM/FM HD radio. I guess I wouldn't want to break this thing off hitting anything, either -- but it's only 3".

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered this one that looks similar to the one you linked. I plan on trying the stock antenna and new antenna in a couple spots around town to see how bad the difference is. A lot of the reviews on shorter antennas state the radio isn't as good. I'll be sure to check back when it's tested. If this new one doesn't work I might have to get the tin foil out and make my own antenna :crackup:

Amazon.com: Mini Car Antenna 4.7inch Short Carbon Fiber Radio Antenna for Ford, Toyota, VW, Audi, Chevrolet, Nissan and Honda: Car Electronics

neosolidus

Badlands
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3,Jeep Wrangler JLemon
does the shark fin antenna has anything to do with the cell connectivity for remote start and the like ?

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +