Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I've considered a pull-behind, teardrops are so cool. But I want to be all self-contained, want to explore forest roads and the trails less traveled, yes get far away from things. I would struggle with a trailer attached.

I also want to explore the southwest (I'm in MN lived in AZ my parents are still there) and yes I've wondered about camping in the heat. So far my plan is to explore the north and higher elevations during the hot months and maybe spend the cooler months in the south. Suppose no matter where you go 95 degrees is still hot, especially in the humidity.

I've researched heating and cooling devices but have not decided on anything yet. This overlanding/car camping thing is new to me.
Heating is pretty simple. A good sleeping bag is key and if you need more just pop some hot hands and toss them in... cooling is another story... most the camping i do most the year i just use a hammock ha
Sponsored

Lufifi

Big Bend
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Although they look kinda neat... what is the actual appeal on a rtt? It cant e any more comfortable than the ground .... im just cuious as to what the pros are i guess
I just assumed it was to stay away from critters. But I'm in Florida so we have a lot of critters that are less than friendly.

Lufifi

Big Bend
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Ive been considering micro camper or teadrop... built a boat... figure i coul d build a little minimal camper but i imagine if youre looking to get WAY away from things ... youre alwqys gonna be limited to a tent... whether its on the roof or elsewhere.... main problem down here about 8 mnths of the year is the heat...

I love the idea ... just dosnt seem as practical for me as it does for others i suppose.
I am going the tiny camper route. There is a company here in FL that is fantastic and I am going to pull the trigger on one soon. For now, I have the mattress for the back and that's good enough.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Heating is pretty simple. A good sleeping bag is key and if you need more just pop some hot hands and toss them in... cooling is another story... most the camping i do most the year i just use a hammock ha
You are right, I do have a 0 degree bag. If I'm ever to camp in the below 20 degree weather I'm gonna need more. I haven't done a winter camp since boy scouts about 30 years ago.

Yes keeping cool is probably harder. USB fans is about all I can come up with. ?

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
You are right, I do have a 0 degree bag. If I'm ever to camp in the below 20 degree weather I'm gonna need more. I haven't done a winter camp since boy scouts about 30 years ago.

Yes keeping cool is probably harder. USB fans is about all I can come up with. ?
I mean if you can find or make shade and have a breeze it isnt unbearable... thats why im thinking a roof top is not my best bet...

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I am going the tiny camper route. There is a company here in FL that is fantastic and I am going to pull the trigger on one soon. For now, I have the mattress for the back and that's good enough.
Which company is that? Ill likely build mine but im still in research mode so im looking at any examples i can find

Lufifi

Big Bend
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
https://www.tinycampercompany.com/ I am looking at the 4x8 rugged rhino. I have friends who have bought from them and they have an excellent reputation and reasonable prices.
That first one on the page is basically what i had in mind ... pricing isnt bad at all on those...

Id like to build one partially just to do it... partially bc i can do it exacltly how i want... ive got q spare old utility trailer at the house already..... but lumber prices are ugly right now....

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
https://www.tinycampercompany.com/ I am looking at the 4x8 rugged rhino. I have friends who have bought from them and they have an excellent reputation and reasonable prices.
Actually pretty good prices, and the weight is well below the BS towing rating. So can load it up with gear/food.

Lufifi

Big Bend
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Actually pretty good prices, and the weight is well below the BS towing rating. So can load it up with gear/food.
I love the rhino because it comes with A/C and being in Florida, that's something that I would want. I want something small that I can take to campgrounds and then go adventuring without.

pvtcybrpenguin

Base
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I am not sure if this forum is still active but any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got my Bronco Sport yesterday after having to part with my wifes toyota 4runner. We have a Desert Armor Warrior XL RTT (150lbs). I have been trying to figure out if we are able to mount it to the Bronco. However, I feel like I have been mislead. I have seen the photos of Bronco Sports with RTT's but when I look at the manual it says maximum weight of 150lbs. Even the RTT that they show in the pictures is 110lbs. If that is true then no one except a toddler could sleep up there. I feel like Ford false advertised the ability of the roof rack. Can someone please help me figure this out? Even the cross rails they are using in photos have a max weight of 165lbs.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have seen the photos of Bronco Sports with RTT's but when I look at the manual it says maximum weight of 150lbs.
I believe this is the max weight in motion. The more weight you have on top the higher the center of gravity, which can affect vehicle handling. The roof is meant to hold the weight of the vehicle in a roll over, so I think you can safely sleep up there.

Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan
For the cost of one of the roof tents (which use up a lot of your roof weight in motion) you can get a very compact and very nice on the ground setup. Tents don’t take as long to setup as they used to years ago. Even the bigger ones that sleep 6 sardine style (so 3-4 comfortably)

couple options that I personally use.
This air mattress uses it’s storage bag to blow up the mattress and does it in less than 60 seconds. It packs down to just slightly larger than a Nalgene bottle. It’s R rating for insulation is great. I’ve slept on this in 10 degree weather.

https://seatosummitusa.com/products/ether-light-xt-insulated-sleeping-mat?variant=19512263278695

if your into hammocks this company makes some great ones to sleep in. This is the one I use. There’s some videos below the description to show you how roomy it is. And I’d you’re taller it’s a great fit. If you plan to sleep in the cold you can purchase a quilt that goes undernearb

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/blackbird-xlc/

this is a picture of mine setup for a camping trip I did end of oct of this year. Hammocks do take a bit more setup than a tent but they are great for just lounging in too so it serves a double purpose.

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside 084B41C9-504B-4E01-ABE2-8D77EAA7C7EB

Other than that you can bring you’re own blankets to regulate your temperature or purchase a down quilt. Ihave a 50 degree and a 20 degree from this company.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/quilts-sleeping-bags/?gclid=CjwKCAiAwKyNBhBfEiwA_mrUMmaorG6dExcAn5FQG-VzSQ5Smr_MiTzSPVtOMQrQAEGfCeDUeopaThoCdiIQAvD_BwE

As far as a tent goes I have ones from big agnes, marmot, and Nemo. All excellent quality and if you catch them end of year you can always find a good deal.

now…..spring just needs to come….

Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan
I've had a rtt on the BS for a while now with no issues and it's been great.

Here it is open and closed

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211031_203953363~2
Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211114_231805272

And the inside with all our gear
Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211203_071739985
Great trunk setup!
Sponsored