Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Holy crap. Chill people. Ford pass and dealer say fronts. NHTSA says rears. Dealer doesn’t have parts for EITHER. So right now front or rear issue is moot.
Peace
⬆ What he said.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I just had a speed sensor recall done on my Sprinter and it took almost a year for parts to become available. Luckily mine didn’t encounter a problem until a recent trip so I only had to drive a few hundred miles with the cruise disabled :curse: .

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I checked rockauto.com and they list Motorcraft front and rear brake pads in stock ready to ship. But Ford says no parts for recall?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Holy crap. Chill people. Ford pass and dealer say fronts. NHTSA says rears. Dealer doesn’t have parts for EITHER. So right now front or rear issue is moot. Peace
I thought if anyone says front brakes, my dealer says, the guy at parts counter said, ford pass said this or that ect ect we yell at them and tell them its all covered in another thread?

kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS; '18 GC Trailhawk V8 ; ‘22 Explr ST ordered
Holy crap. Chill people. Ford pass and dealer say fronts. NHTSA says rears. Dealer doesn’t have parts for EITHER. So right now front or rear issue is moot.
Peace
I'm still waiting for a small wiring harness for my '21 F-150 since last March!

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Could those be old stock?
That could be the case. My Mercedes dealer is 3 hours away and my local mechanic said Rockauto had the speed sensor I needed. I didn’t want to do the dealer trip but didn’t want to go on a 1500 mile trip to Florida without the ECM active. He got the part but it was old stock and didn’t work. I ended up at the dealer last week to have that recall and a DEF recall done.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I checked rockauto.com and they list Motorcraft front and rear brake pads in stock ready to ship. But Ford says no parts for recall?
NHTSA Recall 21C31 has been announced, and as of right now Ford has proposed higher-friction replacements for the rear OEM brake pads to satisfy the deficiency that prompted the recall. But as far as I know NHTSA has not agreed to Ford's proposal. It seems to me Ford can't source and stock parts that haven't been approved yet.

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
NHTSA Recall 21C31 has been announced, and as of right now Ford has proposed higher-friction replacements for the rear OEM brake pads to satisfy the deficiency that prompted the recall. But as far as I know NHTSA has not agreed to Ford's proposal. It seems to me Ford can't source and stock parts that haven't been approved yet.
Thanks for posting.

Reading the recall details, this recall will only be valid for Escape and Bronco Sport models utilizing vacuum brake boosters. My OB with Co-Pilot360 Assist+ is using the EBB Electric Brake Booster.

Higher friction brake pads on the rear is the solution that Ford has submitted for vehicles with vacuum brake boosters.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Reading the recall details, this recall will only be valid for Escape and Bronco Sport models utilizing vacuum brake boosters. My OB with Co-Pilot360 Assist+ is using the EBB Electric Brake Booster.
Interesting. Have you confirmed the brake booster in your car is not vacuum powered? I was fairly certain that Ford used only vacuum powered brake boosters in all Bronco Sports. Have you looked at yours? I'd very much like to see a photo if yours is different.

There is SO MUCH confusion going around about this recall. Is it for the front brakes or the rear? The NHTSA says it's about incorrectly manufactured rear brake linings, or maybe it's about linings with lower than specified coefficient of friction. According to Ford, there's nothing wrong with the linings, it's about the lack of a vacuum sensor on the vacuum line powering the brake booster.

This is one of those time when having access to so much information online is not helpful. I call it the "internet telephone game." Every time someone publishes something about this issue it's a little different.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
?so... even with this
Recall is not affecting shipping bronco sports.

In other words they are still deemed driveable

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Have you confirmed the brake booster in your car is not vacuum powered? I was fairly certain that Ford used only vacuum powered brake boosters in all Bronco Sports. Have you looked at yours?
I do not see any vacuum lines connected to it and it does not look like a vacuum assist booster to me? Mine has 360 Assist+ option.
Ford Bronco Sport Recall 21C31 PXL_20220116_170610759
Ford Bronco Sport Recall 21C31 PXL_20220116_170622475

andyj82294

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hello All,
Short time lurker, first ever comment. I am a Service writer for a local ford dealership and a Bronco sport owner. There is a lot of confusion on this recall and not a lot of answers yet from ford (like any advanced notice). What I have been telling people is that if it was bad enough to cause a major concern they would have a fix already. I know that is not a great answer. but, we as service writers are given two paragraphs on an explanation and have 100 people calling asking about the recall a day.

As far as what is going to be replaced - we do not know. The recall on the app (yes I have the app too) says front brakes, the recall is titled front brakes on FMC dealer (what we use at the dealership). however, in the recall (see attached) it says about a brake vacuum booster. If I was to guess, they are going to replace the master cylinder and possibly a check valve. I do not think they will be replacing the actual pads, unless damages were done to them caused by another affected part.

Ford Bronco Sport Recall 21C31 Capture.PNG
Sponsored