toddedmond

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry XSE
I started getting a grinding noise from the rear of my Outer Banks yesterday. It is a 2021 with 21000 miles I bought new a year ago. Only makes noise during times the rear differential would be activated, such as using Sport Mode, or fast take-offs. Also noticed it coordinates with the Intelligent AWD info display. Not sure if I will be causing more damage by driving it. The big problem is that, at least at the dealer it was bought from, I cannot get an appointment in the next two weeks. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I don't want to damage anything further.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You may be hearing the clutch engaging/disengaging. The power transfer unit (that transfers power to the rear diff) and the rear diff are both clutch based.

OP
OP
toddedmond

toddedmond

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry XSE
You may be hearing the clutch engaging/disengaging. The power transfer unit (that transfers power to the rear diff) and the rear diff are both clutch based.
But, am I taking a chance driving it? It is my daily driver (25 mi each way) to work

OP
OP
toddedmond

toddedmond

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry XSE
Don't want to have to rent a car for at least 2 weeks.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
But, am I taking a chance driving it? It is my daily driver (25 mi each way) to work
“Only makes noise during times the rear differential would be activated, such as using Sport Mode, or fast take-offs.”

maybe not do that until it gets looked at :)

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Immediately get the oil level checked. won't reverse any damage but it may prevent you getting stranded.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I like Bravo's advice. When functioning normally, the system transfers power to the rear only if the front wheels slip, or if the driver selects a mode that locks the power transfer unit. So avoid driving situations that cause the front wheels to slip, and do not select drive modes that lock the system in 4WD. Do that and you should give yourself the best chance at avoiding more damage if there actually is a problem with the system. My guess is what your hearing is just normal clutch operation. They can get a bit noisy when they slip.

Speaking of which, you absolutely should never lock in 4WD on dry pavement. That will absolutely cause premature wear for the clutches in both the power transfer unit and the rest diff.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I started getting a grinding noise from the rear of my Outer Banks yesterday. It is a 2021 with 21000 miles I bought new a year ago. Only makes noise during times the rear differential would be activated, such as using Sport Mode, or fast take-offs. Also noticed it coordinates with the Intelligent AWD info display. Not sure if I will be causing more damage by driving it. The big problem is that, at least at the dealer it was bought from, I cannot get an appointment in the next two weeks. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I don't want to damage anything further.
Hi Todd! I can look into your Bronco's noise concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

OP
OP
toddedmond

toddedmond

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry XSE
Had it diagnosed today. dealer says they will replace the transmission unlock cable first. I dont think that is the problem since I can produce the noise when the "Intelligent 4WD" display shows the rear wheels activated. It sounds like a clicking noise from the rear of vehicle. Sometimes it is a louder rumbling almost like there is an exhaust leak in the rear. It never makes the noises when only front wheels are engaged.
I will let them replace the disengage cable since I have always had that noise too. If that doesnt cure the rear end noise, I dont know where to turn. I will be afraid to take it on longer trips.

Murphey

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have had mine in five times and they can’t fix It because it happens sporadically. Took it back today with video I took riding on creeper under car while daughter drove forward.

Murphey

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/ed/13/760EE1B7-74D0-4901-B3CE-09E85F47FAA6/IMG_0730.MP4

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I have had mine in five times and they can’t fix It because it happens sporadically. Took it back today with video I took riding on creeper under car while daughter drove forward.
Hi James! I can look into your Bronco's noise concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Had it diagnosed today. dealer says they will replace the transmission unlock cable first. I dont think that is the problem since I can produce the noise when the "Intelligent 4WD" display shows the rear wheels activated. It sounds like a clicking noise from the rear of vehicle. Sometimes it is a louder rumbling almost like there is an exhaust leak in the rear. It never makes the noises when only front wheels are engaged.
I will let them replace the disengage cable since I have always had that noise too. If that doesnt cure the rear end noise, I dont know where to turn. I will be afraid to take it on longer trips.
Was there any updates on this?
Sponsored