V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Good morning all, after one year of progressively louder shuddering I am getting my RDU replaced. It's covered under the 5/60 Powertrain Warranty. For those who are noticing a low speed (1st or 2nd gear) shuddering when turning sharply I suggest you get your BS in for a inspection before the powertrain warranty expires. The shuddering is not noticeable while driving in a straight line. With the Ford Tech in the passenger seat you can duplicate the shuddering so the tech can hear and feel the shuddering. It never fails that if you do not accompany the tech he or she will not be able to duplucate it which will just prolong the problem, maybe past warranty expiration. RDU replacement is not cheap. Mine is scheduled for replacement on 11 March, I'll update once I get my BS back with the final cost which is fortunately 100% covered. Ford has a upgraded RDU Vent Hose which will also be installed. Make sure that is part of the RDU replacement. There might be a charge for the part only, less than $20. More to follow after I get the work done.
Sponsored

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Received my Bronco back this week after 16 days in the shop. On top of the RDU being replaced the tech replaced a rear axle as well. With all the extra nuts, bolts, clamps, hangers, oil, etc, etc the total was nearly $4000. One hundred percent covered by the Power Train Warranty. That includes the rental, a Ford Edge for 16 days. I had to press for rental coverage so if you need a rental and the dealer says its not covered keep squeezing them. I called Ford directly and got confirmation from them a rental is covered. I never spoke with the mechanic to get his take on the RDU failure. He did mention that the oil looked good at the initial inspection so its a mystery why it failed. If I had known what I know now I would have changed the RDU oil at 10K and every 30K after that. Same with the PTU oil. I am doing a transmission drain and refill at my next 40K oil change. No need for a flush in my opinion as that might create a another set of problems. At least now I can enjoy my ride again. Compared to the Edge I think the BS is a lot better ride, especially the Outer Banks version that I have. Good luck all.

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Good morning all, after one year of progressively louder shuddering I am getting my RDU replaced. It's covered under the 5/60 Powertrain Warranty. For those who are noticing a low speed (1st or 2nd gear) shuddering when turning sharply I suggest you get your BS in for a inspection before the powertrain warranty expires. The shuddering is not noticeable while driving in a straight line. With the Ford Tech in the passenger seat you can duplicate the shuddering so the tech can hear and feel the shuddering. It never fails that if you do not accompany the tech he or she will not be able to duplucate it which will just prolong the problem, maybe past warranty expiration. RDU replacement is not cheap. Mine is scheduled for replacement on 11 March, I'll update once I get my BS back with the final cost which is fortunately 100% covered. Ford has a upgraded RDU Vent Hose which will also be installed. Make sure that is part of the RDU replacement. There might be a charge for the part only, less than $20. More to follow after I get the work done.
Interesting...I had shuddering when turning at low speed (especially from parked position then turning) but what was replaced for mine was the 4WD module (electronic part). I'm over the 36k warranty limit so had to pay ~900$ for it. And the shuddering went away immediately with this new part replacement.

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Interesting, seems it should have been covered under the 5/60 Powertrain Warranty. In my case everything was covered 100%, even the rental.
Sponsored