Ranger Tremor vs. Bronco Sport

plumber26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
Another great pic !

I think those guys would push me into a Ranger tho, especially with all the rain we get here, LOL.

x3 on measurements, preferably from the top of the rear seat backs and on a BL/FE model, which I think may have a raised floor for the spare tire. IIRC there was a post way back estimating height based on a pic with mountain bikes loaded.
At least the body shape is correct - boxy with an upright rear window. The truncated rear overhang is the only design element I'd change. Looks great for off road but I hope it doesn't impact cargo space too much for my use.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JamesT

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Another great pic !

I think those guys would push me into a Ranger tho, especially with all the rain we get here, LOL.
Somehow, the smell of wet dog comes to mind if i am throwing them in a box in the truck bed.
(seattle neighbor to you)

plumber26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
^ hey, metro van here. Yah, we've started wet doggie season with a bang. 4" of rain in the last 36 hrs according to my jar outside.

Wife has told me they only smell if they are already dirty. Prepping me for regular dog washing duty I figure...

Thatch

Badlands
First Name
TAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Cherokee, 72 CJ5, 2017 GTI
The bronco sport is on the taller side of its class if not the tallest. It is taller than the cherokee. It also has more cargo volume with cherokee having 25.8 cu ft and sport having 32.5 cu ft. I can almost guarantee the sport with have more height in cargo area than the cherokee... well this is according to 2020 model not sure about yours..
The 2020 Cherokee only has 31" of cargo height and 30" over the seats. When I referenced the Cherokee at 36" that is from pre 2002 on the XJ platform. An Xterra was the last vehical with this kind fo height at 36". Most new SUVs have significantly shorter cargo heights. This seems to be a combination of higher cargo floors and sloping roof lines. So no doubt it will beat out a new Cherokee but even with the raised roof there is a chance the raised floor could cause it to fall short of what we are hoping for. Until someone gets in there with a measuring tape we just don't know.

Thatch

Badlands
First Name
TAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another great pic !

x3 on measurements, preferably from the top of the rear seat backs and on a BL/FE model, which I think may have a raised floor for the spare tire. IIRC there was a post way back estimating height based on a pic with mountain bikes loaded.
At least the body shape is correct - boxy with an upright rear window. The truncated rear overhang is the only design element I'd change. Looks great for off road but I hope it doesn't impact cargo space too much for my use.
Thanks, and no doubt for space a truck wins. Wet dog smell, well you just have to accept that along with the drool. In the summer thought they need air conditioning and I have yet to see a good solution for this when we need the rack on top for gear since these two hog up the room inside.

Thatch

Badlands
First Name
TAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s easily 36”. How much taller is the question. The raised floor does not eliminate the extra space in the safari roof. And this is not an suv with a sloping roof line. Keep in mind the frame is not the full height, there is at least an additional 6” of height past the top of the frame.
Ford Bronco Sport Ranger Tremor vs. Bronco Sport 5E939FA0-376A-4C20-9F76-9ADC2DAC2ADA
Lol.... I want to believe, but until someone gets real measurements it is all speculation.

I get it I have done the same thing a number of times already and come up with numbers from 33.4 to 36.7 depending on minor assumptions. Using the 235 65 r17 size of 29inches on the side view for the sport it measures out at 33.4. the measurements using the 31" tires comes in at 35.34 when I attempt to correct for perspective. This is with using reticules and setting the distance so I can take actual measurements from the photos and I get a margin of error of 4.5 inches from one attempt to the next.

I have hope don't get me wrong but anything under 34 would be missing the headliner in a few months if the dogs don't clear it.

Still this would work better than the Ranger for our use so I hold out hope still.

Ford Bronco Sport Ranger Tremor vs. Bronco Sport Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.52.18 PM

Ford Bronco Sport Ranger Tremor vs. Bronco Sport Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.17.15 PM

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
The 4Runner would be an option, but after driving one, the handling was scary on curves going 65+ mph. It required a lot of attention not to drift off the road. Handling is a known issue. The headlamps are also an issue, just like my Xterra. In fact, I'd call the headlamps a defect. You cannot see anything in the road at night. Headlamp issues are one of the top subjects on 4Runner discussion groups. I know they changed (fixed) the headlamp problems in 2021, but the fix is only available on the most expensive model. Go figure. Like the Tacoma, the 4Runner is under powered -- very noticeable while passing and on hills. It needs a turbo, which can be added by a third party for 6k. Yikes! I'm hoping the Scout will pass the test. I'm a little nervous about the headlamps and acceleration, but we will see.
As a storm chaser.. shouldn't your rig be loaded with like 20 off-road lights? or is that just a movie thing?

I definitely did not know about the handling issues.. would it be the result of the off road suspension? If you don't need a new car within the next 2 years.. rumor mill has that they are redesigning the Tacoma/4Runner in 2023... hopefully addresses all of the above.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Off-road lights are great, but they are a pain to turn on and off (dim) for normal highway driving at night. Law enforcement hates them and they will ticket you in heart beat. I try not to chase too much at night, for multiple reasons, but traveling at 70mph on rural Texas highways in the dark, with black cows and possible debris on the road requires good headlamps. (A chaser was once killed when he hit a black cow at night). The Xterra headlamps are criminal. Seriously, they are crap. Most pick-ups, like the Ranger, have very good headlamp design, or so I'm told. Need to stay on subject here as I got a OP citation for accidently posting off topic.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Off-road lights are great, but they are a pain to turn on and off (dim) for normal highway driving at night. Law enforcement hates them and they will ticket you in heart beat. I try not to chase too much at night, for multiple reasons, but traveling at 70mph on rural Texas highways in the dark, with black cows and possible debris on the road requires good headlamps. (A chaser was once killed when he hit a black cow at night). The Xterra headlamps are criminal. Seriously, they are crap. Most pick-ups, like the Ranger, have very good headlamp design, or so I'm told. Need to stay on subject here as I got a OP citation for accidently posting off topic.
I know what you mean... For that exact reason... I had retrofitted my previous two cars with HID projectors.

plumber26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
Well we got our pup. Dad was a svelte 70lbs so this guy might be about the same in time.

Will be looking for cargo dimensions posted, tho I get the feeling he might be riding in the good seats (back seats) most of the time :wink:

Last edited:

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Well we got our pup. Dad was a svelte 70lbs so this guy might be about the same in time.

Will be looking for cargo dimensions posted, tho I get the feeling he might be riding in the good seats (back seats) most of the time :wink:
He can probably do ok in the cargo area with one side of the back seats down. It'd be great if all the pictures of the rubberized mats standard.
Sponsored