Problem getting strut back in from aborted lift install, Axle issue?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Giving update. I was able to get it all together. If you open the transmission check plug while the vehicle is off, you will lose an additional 1 to 2 quarts. It is meant to be opened while the truck is running, and hot. I would add some to the fill port with the vehicle on and hot, then, open the check port and let the excess fluid drain out. If you do this several times, you will actually do a partial "flush" as the transmission fluid is being circulated at all times. I have driven it well over a thousand miles since I put it all together and everything is fine
Out of curiosity, did you check with your service department just to make sure you're doing it right?
Sponsored

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition, Area 51
Pretty straight forward. I am an individual owner and always do my own work (outside of warranty, I just don't trust anyone). As far as filling, checking, the method is same for the escape all the way back to about 2013. Looks a little different, but same thing. Plenty of YouTube videos explain it.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Picture of your lift?

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After about 5,000 miles or so a bad clunking has popped up from the driver side. I am pretty sure the axle is the culprit. I took off all wheels and "shook" everything. All bolts are tight. There is some movement in the axle on the driver side at the inside joint, (where it previously was separated). I can "smack" it and it will do a clunk. I can imagine with the weight of the vehicle and suspension movement, this is the source of my bad clunk. Ordered new axle from Rock Auto and another 5 quarts of ULV fluid for a grand total of $201 with shipping. Everyone, be careful when installing your lift. If the axle becomes separated you will likely have it fail or make a ton of noise if you get it back together. I am certain it would not be covered under warranty because I had to reband the axle and I installed a lift. Now, if it the front end still clunks like hell after I get new axle in, I will remove the lift and take it to the dealer. At least it will be back to stock.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The Superlift lift kit looks a lot like the Rough Country lift kit for the BS.
People who installed the RC kit complained of clunking after driving for some miles as well.

Clunking in the RC case was caused by the strut spacers not having enough clearance for the strut bushings to move around where the strut and strut spacer bolt together.

If you still get clunking after you replace your suspect axle, I would check the strut to strut spacer fit to see if it has a strut bushing clearance issue.
Hopefully you'll get it corrected.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
The Superlift lift kit looks a lot like the Rough Country lift kit for the BS.
People who installed the RC kit complained of clunking after driving for some miles as well.

Clunking in the RC case was caused by the strut spacers not having enough clearance for the strut bushings to move around where the strut and strut spacer bolt together.

If you still get clunking after you replace your suspect axle, I would check the strut to strut spacer fit to see if it has a strut bushing clearance issue.
Hopefully you'll get it corrected.
This is the first thing I think of when someone says they have a lift and there is a clunking noise. Just in case it isn’t clear, there is a bump around the center bolt on top of the strut assembly. Some lift kits did not leave room for this bump and the spacer would sit on top of that bump. This just isn’t a very stable platform for the strut and eventually they start to make noise. There were several reports here of it happening.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was under the truck today changing the oil. It was on ramps. I can hit both axles with my hands and they sound similar. Soooo... now I am thinking it is not the axle afterall. I canceled the Rockauto order. There is a dude here on the forum that sells a spacer that fits between the lift block and the strut top. I contacted him last week and he had to get some more made. I will follow up with him. The clunking is maddening. See, the Superlift strut tops have a bigger hole and the crown part of the strut fits through it and the mount is flush. Maybe the hole isn't big enough and with some flex the strut top is actually hitting the spacer. I will update my clunking issues here soon.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I was under the truck today changing the oil. It was on ramps. I can hit both axles with my hands and they sound similar. Soooo... now I am thinking it is not the axle afterall. I canceled the Rockauto order. There is a dude here on the forum that sells a spacer that fits between the lift block and the strut top. I contacted him last week and he had to get some more made. I will follow up with him. The clunking is maddening. See, the Superlift strut tops have a bigger hole and the crown part of the strut fits through it and the mount is flush. Maybe the hole isn't big enough and with some flex the strut top is actually hitting the spacer. I will update my clunking issues here soon.
It’s probably worth the effort to check that everything is tight in the suspension fasteners. Also check the sway bar end links.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I rotated tires today I put a wrench to all fasteners. They are definitely tight. This has got to be the maddening strut clunk present in most lifts. I am almost thing of getting the HRG set, but, for about 60 more I can get the replacement strut/spring set from RC. (Normally 599 but found a retailer online with a 10% off code) . To save money I really want the spacer adapter a member here makes.
Sponsored