Problem getting strut back in from aborted lift install, Axle issue?

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition, Area 51
Is it possible for the axle to not flex enough to get the strut back in. I went ahead and pulled the knuckle and hub apart because for the lift of me, with or without the lift installed, the strut does not line up properly. The top of the strut only goes into the strut tower one way, right? I am to the point of completely pulling the axle out but it does not seem to budge coming from the transmission. There is not a pin like in the subaru axles up at the transmission? Help!
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
If you let the hub dangle unsupported, it is possible for the weight of it to pull the end of the axle out of the transmission.

I just completed the lift on the front suspension and to get things to line up, I had to turn the wheel and use a drift punch to get the lower hole to line up while putting the bolt in the top hole, then pulled the punch and put on the bottom bolt.

If the axle did get pulled out, then the hub should rotate pretty freely on that side.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The axle is in the transmission, no question. Does the axle just slide out? I even took the hub apart and pulled axle out of the hub, but pulling axle from the transmission seems to be an issue. It just slides in at the transmission?

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is it possible one of the balls on the inner joint came out and went behind the shaft? it just doesnt compress enough to have the front hub be any resemblence of straight. The only way I think to confirm is to pull the axle out. Will it lose fluid? If so, where is the fill for the transmission? I see the drain plug but not sure where the fill is. Thanks.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we are going to need some pictures to truly understand what is happening and even then we might be guessing.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are some pics. The one with my hand, I am pushing on the hub. It will not go further in any direction than that. The two pics of the inner boot, that is with it pushed all the way in. It is "bottomed" out. I can pull it some and disengage and twist it, reseat it, and it will not go back in any more. I am thinking a ball or something came out of the joint and fell behind. Maybe not. The boot has been pushed in. looks like it is stretched, but believe me, it cannot be pushed in anymore in its current state. I have the front end jacked up. I can twist the axle.. Nothing, will not go in further. I am thinking I am going to pull the axle completely out tomorrow and fool with it, maybe cut the band off. My question... Will I lose any transmission fluid out of the axle hole? I have found the upper fill/service port under the airbox. I believe I have found the level checking hole on the side of the transmission. I have been watching UTube all night and found out all I need/want to know about servicing the PTU and that it is easy on the Bronco Sport as it is on the 2020 escape and that it is recommended to change it at 30k. Help! and Thanks!

Ford Bronco Sport Problem getting strut back in from aborted lift install, Axle issue? 20221029_221543

Ford Bronco Sport Problem getting strut back in from aborted lift install, Axle issue? 20221029_221538

Ford Bronco Sport Problem getting strut back in from aborted lift install, Axle issue? 20221029_221552

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
Here are some pics. The one with my hand, I am pushing on the hub. It will not go further in any direction than that. The two pics of the inner boot, that is with it pushed all the way in. It is "bottomed" out. I can pull it some and disengage and twist it, reseat it, and it will not go back in any more. I am thinking a ball or something came out of the joint and fell behind. Maybe not. The boot has been pushed in. looks like it is stretched, but believe me, it cannot be pushed in anymore in its current state. I have the front end jacked up. I can twist the axle.. Nothing, will not go in further. I am thinking I am going to pull the axle completely out tomorrow and fool with it, maybe cut the band off. My question... Will I lose any transmission fluid out of the axle hole? I have found the upper fill/service port under the airbox. I believe I have found the level checking hole on the side of the transmission. I have been watching UTube all night and found out all I need/want to know about servicing the PTU and that it is easy on the Bronco Sport as it is on the 2020 escape and that it is recommended to change it at 30k. Help! and Thanks!

Ford Bronco Sport Problem getting strut back in from aborted lift install, Axle issue? 20221029_221543

Ford Bronco Sport Problem getting strut back in from aborted lift install, Axle issue? 20221029_221538

Ford Bronco Sport Problem getting strut back in from aborted lift install, Axle issue? 20221029_221552
When I did my lift, my boot did NOT look that stretched when I was putting the strut back in. I had to use some elbow grease to get the arm lined up, but I was able to get it lined up. In that top pic, you should be able to move that arm in and out with only light to moderate effort, but it appears tilted out (away from the body) at a much more significant angle than I ever let mine move.

My guess is your axle has indeed come out. Sorry, I don't have any further advice for you in how to proceed from there, I've not done any major maintenance to this type of suspension before, other than to tell you my axle did not look like that when I installed my kit.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I am going to yank that axle out. I am not certain fluid will come out. I will cut the band off and dissasemble that joint. I will goto Napa and buy new cv boot pliers and a new band. I truly think the inside axle came apart and even tho it appears I can push and pull it out, I think something is behind the shaft in the joint itself. Can't be anything else. IN the pic with my hand, I am forcing with all my might the knuckle/hub in and that is where it stops, period.. no more. If I have to order another axle, so be it. with shipping from the Rockauto is 160 or so for the true motorcraft unit. I will not attempt to fool with a dealer. It would come in on Friday. Luckily if I cannot put the wheel back on I have some caster/wheel/car roller thingys and maybe I can move it out of the middle of my driveway so My wife can get her convertible out :) good thing I have spare cars!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely looks like the axle has come out of the transmission. That inner boot should not be stretched out like that. Once you get the band off and the boot pulled back, it should be easy to get it back in and then just install the new band. I don’t think you will have any fluid loss.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
You shouldn’t have to force it in. Should slide in with a little wiggle. Gonna have to pull cv and inner boot to slide it back into the inner race there.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Axle is out. going to separate boot and inner joint now. I can confirm, transmission fluid does indeed come out when you pull out the driver side cv axle. The fluid says it is ULV.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the thing is, the joint should not have pulled itself apart inside. after I got the boot off, the whole thing came apart. three large roller bearings. I put it back on and tapped (pretty forcefully) and the joint put it self back together. Now to go band it and put it back in the transmission. Gotta go buy a few quarts of ULV fluid too.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
the thing is, the joint should not have pulled itself apart inside. after I got the boot off, the whole thing came apart. three large roller bearings. I put it back on and tapped (pretty forcefully) and the joint put it self back together. Now to go band it and put it back in the transmission. Gotta go buy a few quarts of ULV fluid too.
I was going to suggest a larger hammer as a joke, but I didn't want to add insult to injury. I guess I should've gone with my instinct.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything back together. The Superlift lift kit is all in. Cannot drive the BS until my 4 quarts of ULV fluid comes in. I lost about 2 quarts from the axle hole. Amazon has a 4 pack for 38.00. Dealer will be more. I have to travel this week for work anyways, so I can wait for it and drive my 355,000 mile Feista on this trip. There is a method to installing the lift for sure. Looks silly with the stock tires but not going for bigger tires just yet.

OP
OP

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Giving update. I was able to get it all together. If you open the transmission check plug while the vehicle is off, you will lose an additional 1 to 2 quarts. It is meant to be opened while the truck is running, and hot. I would add some to the fill port with the vehicle on and hot, then, open the check port and let the excess fluid drain out. If you do this several times, you will actually do a partial "flush" as the transmission fluid is being circulated at all times. I have driven it well over a thousand miles since I put it all together and everything is fine
Sponsored