Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So as many of you saw my post I was one of the first to get my reservation in and my first issue so far has popped up. I was driving along the interstate for a decent (about 4 hours) road trip. Get there and notice a small chunk of paint missing on the front bumper. This is only at around 1200 miles. Not just a scratched clear coat or down to primer but completely down to the body. So currently working with my dealership to get Ford to respond about what they are going to do. That's an issue with paint not me getting hit with a small rock. There would be a lot more damage from something that would cause it to go this deep if it is was hit under normal circumstances.

Ford Bronco Sport Paint already chipped down to metal D756AB1C-0215-494E-84F6-9D8D73F25EC3
Sponsored

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
How do you know thats not from a rock hitting it? I've definitely had chips like that eventually in pretty much any car Ive owned as a result of interstate/highway driving.

SUCKS to have it happen so soon though. I think I may put some clear paint protective film on the front end of this thing.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
That is unfortunate. My '16 CX-5 I recently traded with ~63K on it had some hood chips, but Mazda paint is soft. My '06 Escape that I used hard for 260K miles, remained amazingly chip-free for all of those years. These modern lower-VOC environmentally-friendly paints may just not hold up like older paint.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
How do you know thats not from a rock hitting it? I've definitely had chips like that eventually in pretty much any car Ive owned as a result of interstate/highway driving.

SUCKS to have it happen so soon though. I think I may put some clear paint protective film on the front end of this thing.
I think this makes it more likely that I will go ahead and get the paint protection package and the rear bumper protection. I note that the MAD Industries SEMA prototype did this; really recommended it.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Looks like you will be the first to buy touch up paint for a Bronco Sport , too. ( not making fun of your incident.. seriously hope you get it straightened out.)

OP
OP
Steinfeld9

Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Not saying it wasn't a rock, saying that the paint shouldn't be chipping down to bare metal if the primer was properly adhered to the body. (Aircraft mechanic, we'd get fired if the paint was chipping off without weather wear and something big taking a chunk out of the material underneath as well). Just posting about it to give everyone a heads up to see what ford says about it. If they say it's my fault I'll take that and go pay to get them to paint it, would rather have ford say that it was a painting issue first though and save me money

Robisten8

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition, 2020 Ranger Screw
I've owned many Fords. I've traded in many of those Fords with a number of chips like that. My 2018 Mustang GT had at least a half dozen rock chips in the front fascia and even had one on the driver's side A Pillar.

Dave B

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Having owned numerous new trucks of all makes, I’ve seen lots of stone chips. I had a 2014 Mustang GT, I swear every time I took it out, I’d get a rock chip, my 2010 F150 had a lug nut bounce off the door, and didn’t chip. It’s the luck of the draw. I don’t think that once the dealer sends a picture to warranty, that they will say it’s a paint issue, but you never know.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
A chip clear to the metal can indicate an adhesion problem, typically from improper prep/contamination. Isn't A-51 a tint-coat? If so, that means there's at least a primer, a basecoat, a tint-coat, and a clear coat.
That hit was on an area perpendicular to travel, so it took all of the energy rather than deflecting some of it. Even so, one would think there should of at least been some primer left.

Tlmbigos

Base
First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport 2021
So as many of you saw my post I was one of the first to get my reservation in and my first issue so far has popped up. I was driving along the interstate for a decent (about 4 hours) road trip. Get there and notice a small chunk of paint missing on the front bumper. This is only at around 1200 miles. Not just a scratched clear coat or down to primer but completely down to the body. So currently working with my dealership to get Ford to respond about what they are going to do. That's an issue with paint not me getting hit with a small rock. There would be a lot more damage from something that would cause it to go this deep if it is was hit under normal circumstances.

D756AB1C-0215-494E-84F6-9D8D73F25EC3.jpeg
My bronco sport is at dealer now. There are scratches all through window panels, windows, and side doors. Take a look at your vehicle in sunlight. The dealer says alot of the cars are coming in like this. They said they have some roller bar in maunfacture plant that rolls up the side.

OP
OP
Steinfeld9

Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My bronco sport is at dealer now. There are scratches all through window panels, windows, and side doors. Take a look at your vehicle in sunlight. The dealer says alot of the cars are coming in like this. They said they have some roller bar in maunfacture plant that rolls up the side.
Yep! I have scratches on the plastic piano trim between the back cargo window and the rear passenger window. They have the part on order but since it's still in production everything is on back order

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Thank you for posting...I am going to spend a big chunk of change on PPF, WSPF and Ceramic coating as a result.

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Yep! I have scratches on the plastic piano trim between the back cargo window and the rear passenger window. They have the part on order but since it's still in production everything is on back order
Were yours scratched right off the lot? I just noticed it on mine yesterday in some corners and JUST left the dealer before seeing it... so now I have another issue to bring up at the service desk when I go in for my tires...

OP
OP
Steinfeld9

Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Were yours scratched right off the lot? I just noticed it on mine yesterday in some corners and JUST left the dealer before seeing it... so now I have another issue to bring up at the service desk when I go in for my tires...
I noticed mine the morning after I made my purchase. I immediately called my dealership and they were very understanding and helpful, they put it on order that morning and now I'm waiting. But yes it seems that it was from the factory.

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I noticed mine the morning after I made my purchase. I immediately called my dealership and they were very understanding and helpful, they put it on order that morning and now I'm waiting. But yes it seems that it was from the factory.
I think I will be making that call as well. I just went to the dealership yesterday because I found all 4 of my tires were damaged on the sidewall - so I will just add that to the list of "oopsies".
Sponsored