dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Is anyone here thinking of using their B-Sport for Overlanding activities?

If so ..

Are you going to Floor tent/hammock/primitive camping?

Are you getting a Non moonroof B-S and get a Roof Top Tent?

Are you getting a moonroof package and get an ultralightweight RTT?

Are you planning on pulling a trailer tent?

Would like to see what everyone else is thinking....
Sponsored

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
D. All of the above.

Honestly, just to start , I'm just using my existing camp gear. I don't have a roof tent, maybe in the future I'll get a light roof top option since I got a moon roof. I'm a biker so I'll think I'll try the interior rack option, and research for a 2" hitch bike rack in the future. There's some trails in Utah that are 4x4 accessable that I would like to try.

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
dreamwrx, can you please link where the moonroof is optional? From my understanding the moonroof is standard on the BL + BL. IMO, it is the only trim level that is worth considering for my needs and also the only trim level that would be suitable for small scale overlanding.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
If you order the Badlands package it appears the moon roof is included.

Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People Badlands Package.JPG

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Moonroof is tiny!

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m using my BL + BL as my daily driver and my overlander. I’m thinking about getting the ground tent that connects to the rear. That would be a nice feature to be able to access the interior of the vehicle while staying out of the elements. If the terrain is not ideal to sleep on.. we could also put the rear seats down, unroll a 3 inch tent mattress and sleep in the cargo area off the ground while using the attached tent as a large vestibule.
Sleep in the cargo area? How short are you?

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
5’9”. I’m prepared to make my own cargo management system (hammock for my feet) if I need to.

Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People 46235389-007D-4BC9-A287-AF1C6711FBC4
I am really curious to know what that dimension is from the back of the front seats to the tailgate because from the various photos we have seen so far, It is looking like less than 5'. The entire vehicle is only about 14' long.

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those roof tents require the optinal Bronco-Helmet. I can just imagine trying to get down that ladder in the middle of night in total darkness, barefooted after a few drinks.
Why are you climbing down in the middle of the night? Just open the flap and take a leak.

bikerbob951

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Ford Fusion SE, '99 Audi A4 track car
If I wind up in a Bronco Sport, which is a strong likelyhood, I will be towing a pop-up camper for at least the next few years. I'd love a RTT, but with wife and two kids (3yr & 9mo) it just wouldn't work. My only real concern is if the 2,200 lb tow rating will be enough for what I've got in mind?

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
If the terrain is not ideal to sleep on.. we could also put the rear seats down, unroll a 3 inch tent mattress and sleep in the cargo area off the ground....
That's how I sleep in my '07 Escape. With the front seats all the way forward I can completely stretch out at 5'9". It does require something to fill the space just behind the front seats but an ice chest fits perfectly there.

The B Sport looks to have the same cargo length as my Escape but I'm not convinced the rear seats will fold flat enough for comfortable sleep, just a 10° slope to that seat back makes for an uncomfortable night. Unless the seat bottoms fold forward or are removable (like in the Escape) I don't see that seat back folding low enough to be level. It might require a plywood platform raised at the foot end like is commonly done in the Toyota 4Runner.

I really hope I'm wrong on this, but I'm holding off on ordering until I can see for myself.

OP
OP
dreamwrx

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
dreamwrx, can you please link where the moonroof is optional? From my understanding the moonroof is standard on the BL + BL. IMO, it is the only trim level that is worth considering for my needs and also the only trim level that would be suitable for small scale overlanding.
I don't mean that the moon roof is optional on the BL+BL.

I was wondering if there are people willing to give up the BL package just to have a stronger roof (50lbs additional).

OP
OP
dreamwrx

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
If I wind up in a Bronco Sport, which is a strong likelyhood, I will be towing a pop-up camper for at least the next few years. I'd love a RTT, but with wife and two kids (3yr & 9mo) it just wouldn't work. My only real concern is if the 2,200 lb tow rating will be enough for what I've got in mind?

He estimates it to be under 2000lbs... But it sure has a lot of amenities. And sleeps 5.
Sponsored