Overlanding People

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
The B Sport looks to have the same cargo length as my Escape but I'm not convinced the rear seats will fold flat enough for comfortable sleep, just a 10° slope to that seat back makes for an uncomfortable night. Unless the seat bottoms fold forward or are removable (like in the Escape) I don't see that seat back folding low enough to be level. It might require a plywood platform raised at the foot end like is commonly done in the Toyota 4Runner.

I really hope I'm wrong on this, but I'm holding off on ordering until I can see for myself.
I saw it mentioned somewhere that the seats do fold flat with weight on them, and some of the pics/videos I have seen did seem like the area was flat... just can't remember which pics/videos they were.... I usually remove head rests from the rear seat in my 2010 Escape anyway and would do the same on the Sport - helps rear view mirror visibility anyway, and should help further to fold rear seat totally flat.
Sponsored

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Those roof tents require the optinal Bronco-Helmet. I can just imagine trying to get down that ladder in the middle of night in total darkness, barefooted after a few drinks.
You need to watch some of those Aussie 4WD channels. What they do puts us to shame, and they have quite a few rooftop tent options there that aren't really available here, but gonna need something bigger than a Sport to use them.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline

He estimates it to be under 2000lbs... But it sure has a lot of amenities. And sleeps 5.
Yeah, that's the best option with the Sport. There are a lot of smaller ones.

OP
OP
dreamwrx

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Yeah, that's the best option with the Sport. There are a lot of smaller ones.
Well.. yea, I mean if you want to tow more stuff I guess you can buy a 4Runner or a 4x4 truck or something else like that.

For me personally, I won't have that many chances to go camping/overlanding so both towing a camper and an expensive rooftop tent won't be financially feasible for me in the near future. Maybe that will get revisited in 5 years... when my kids are older.

OP
OP
dreamwrx

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
You need to watch some of those Aussie 4WD channels. What they do puts us to shame, and they have quite a few rooftop tent options there that aren't really available here, but gonna need something bigger than a Sport to use them.
I have.. I don't think I'm there yet.. I'm more of a hiker/camper than I am an off-road guy.... So the Sport is more for me than the big brother Bronco. I like a little bit of quiet on my daily grind commute.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I don't mean that the moon roof is optional on the BL+BL.

I was wondering if there are people willing to give up the BL package just to have a stronger roof (50lbs additional).
I think so...I have to convert here this week most likely and a few sweet rooftop tents are in the 100-150 lbs. range. The ebony/brown leather is very appealing, especially for cleaning but gotta try out a roof top tent, the GFC superlite is appealing if I can access it from the side. I'll shoot them an email.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think so...I have to convert here this week most likely and a few sweet rooftop tents are in the 100-150 lbs. range. The ebony/brown leather is very appealing, especially for cleaning but gotta try out a roof top tent, the GFC superlite is appealing if I can access it from the side. I'll shoot them an email.
This is an interesting thought; I do like a LOT of the stuff in BL pkg, except the moonroof. I think I might have to compromise and go with one of those tents that attaches to the butt of the Sport, instead of rooftop. That way I get to keep the heated steering wheel and the reverse sensors and all that stuff.
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People 1600870067381

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This is an interesting thought; I do like a LOT of the stuff in BL pkg, except the moonroof. I think I might have to compromise and go with one of those tents that attaches to the butt of the Sport, instead of rooftop. That way I get to keep the heated steering wheel and the reverse sensors and all that stuff.
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People 1600870067381
I know, I have a ground tent, definitely an added luxury item to branch out. I have a bed in sienna now but for long hauls or camping at trailheads, mtn. passes, and nice river spots, not sure I can get way with additional tent on the back of the BS in these situations. That was my rational.

Last edited:

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know, I have a ground tent, definitely an added luxury item to branch out. I have a bed in sienna now but for long hauls or camping at trailheads, mtn. passes, and nice river spots, not sure I can get way with additional tent on the back of the BS in these situations. That was my rational.
yeah, this is definitely a big-ish tent: 9x9x7 feet. Would def require a good amount of space behind the vehicle to set up. Most of our trips are shorter trips or day trips and IF it's a longish trip we're likely to be in a park / area where they have bigger parking areas.. so Hopefully this will serve us well.

OP
OP
dreamwrx

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I opted for the BL without the BL package.

1) I wanted to have the capability to put more stuff on the roof (50% more).

2) The overall package isn't a bad deal, but for I don't really NEED anything in it. I have lived without out all of those amenities in my current vehicle so I'm not really too bummed about anything. The three things that I would have liked is the dual zone temperature control, the Remote Start system, and the Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror.

- I'm going to install my own custom audio so the B&O is moot, plus its not that good anyways.
- I live in TX.. its hot 90% of the time.. we use the heated seats about 1 month out of the year... so the leather is hot, and heated steering wheel is nice but not needed.
-I'll get the dealer installed remote start system and will probably install the auto-dimming rearview mirror & Wireless charging pad myself.
-Don't want a moonroof.. more trouble than it's worth.. too hot to use in Houston 90% of the time
-I don't need a reverse sensing system... I've been driving a non rear camera non sensing system for 12 years.. I'm ok without it.

Will my addons cost more in the long run?... probably so... but they didn't give me those separate dealer addon options... so this way will give me all that I want.

OP
OP
dreamwrx

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Really depending on where you plan to camp... (I am assuming you are not climbing boulders to get to secret locations)... I think pulling a light trailer such as the Sylvan Sport Go Easy trailer and putting ANY Roof Top Tent on it will give you more space to put additional things as well as still elevating you a good amount. You can probably build it for less.

The slightly more cost efficient route for sleeping elevated is Hammock camping.. but alas they can get costly too.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Really depending on where you plan to camp... (I am assuming you are not climbing boulders to get to secret locations)... I think pulling a light trailer such as the Sylvan Sport Go Easy trailer and putting ANY Roof Top Tent on it will give you more space to put additional things as well as still elevating you a good amount. You can probably build it for less.

The slightly more cost efficient route for sleeping elevated is Hammock camping.. but alas they can get costly too.
More into stealth camping than anything else when time is of essence, driving late or getting early start is priority, not so much hauling gear or sleeping elevated, hence sleeping in rig. Thought about an Outback as it's long enough but would still require moving gear inside and un raveling bed (unless I take advantage of cargo topper I suppose). Probably cheapest option right there! Curious if I could sleep inside BS being 6'

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious if I could sleep inside BS being 6'
I am thinking the cargo space is similar to an old gen (boxy) Escape cargo space, judging by how similar the exterior dimensions are.
I saw a post on an (old/boxy)Escape forum where a guy who was 6' said he can sleep in the cargo area...
So there's some hope for you. If you remove the headrests, and fill that space between front and rear seats (with front seats all the way forward, and rear seats folded flat) with something like a cooler box or two, that's quite a large flat space measured from the back of the rear cargo area.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah, could be cheapest and overall best option for everyday use. W/O a BL package, definitely more flexibility but the leather seats....and I'm in the Rockies so cold weather is present even at altitude. Just hoping the upgraded audio is enough to hear audiobooks while cruising. If I go with the BL package, can either sleep inside with cargo on top (some can be inside while driving if approaching weight limit) or ground tent if at trailhead and not other public area. Yes, I have a hammock and such. The GFC superlite would be a luxury item for sure (if side access is possible), just like the BL package which may be more practical.

Probably no dice on rooftop anyway until spring/summer anyway and instead go with ground tent or recline the passenger seat for the 5 hours of needed sleep before venturing out. And instead of gear on top, can deck a kitchen/gear area in back with the cargo management system. Also, definitely Exped mattresses are the way to go ;)

Thanks for the back and forth.

OP
OP
dreamwrx

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
According to the standard equipment... the Front cloth seats are heated... No heated steering wheel though.

You can build your own RTT for a fraction of the cost. Will it be the latest and greatest? probably not.. Probably not a hardshell either so for winter camping... that's tough no matter what you do.

Else you can probably hunt for a previously loved RTT for about half what they retail. If you go without the BL package, your options open up a little bit.

I guess it really depends on what your priorities are. If they do a 4x4 Maverick... that would work out well for the taller folks right?
Sponsored