fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
Some guys from the local overlanding club abs I went overlanding over the weekend here. We had a blast. Saw the north maine woods, camped at Haymock lake. Drove out. While you can put the seats down and move front seats firward and shove a twin air mattress in the bronco sport , and air matress does nothing for insulation. I was freezing once my 12v electeic Blanket (run off an independent 12v old car battery) Ran out.
A 5 amp draw on a 45 amp Hour battery SHOULD last 9 hours, but actually closer to 6.5. Cold really killed the battery(rear seat drivers foot welll) and as a result my nest wasnā€™t very warm.

My nest consisted (I regret not taking a photo) of bottom layer toward top: 2 thermarest self inflating mats on the bottom then, twin Walmart air matress, electric blanket 12v (5 amp on high, 3 amp on low.) cheap sleeping bag around the whole air matress to keep it warm, -40 degree army mummy bag (3 part goretex , black (cold )and green liners(warm). Then me.
The air matress was the weak point . While comfortable it was a heat sink and ver cold once the batter died around 530am(went to bed at 1030). In retrospect I should have had the thermarests on top of air matress and the electric on top of those. Outside Temp was -3 plus a light breeze so -16 was what a fellow camper reported.
Iā€™m definitely getting another insulated same size air mattress and larger battery as until that ran out I was golden. .

Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding in northern Maine woods in Feb w/ Badlands Bronco Sport 245D42CB-413F-4F12-9250-93414EE67C19
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding in northern Maine woods in Feb w/ Badlands Bronco Sport 903C761A-6D75-4D91-A5A9-4210E6F165E1
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding in northern Maine woods in Feb w/ Badlands Bronco Sport DA932194-3FF9-4B9B-820D-EB11C0D7C957

Sponsored

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
Love it - looks like a blast. Yes....air mattresses are miserable in the cold. Nothing but a super thin layer of rubber between you and air that quickly hits ambient temperature. Been there, done that, and the comfort of an air mattress was quickly overshadowed by the cold from the same mattress.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Some guys from the local overlanding club abs I went overlanding over the weekend here. We had a blast. Saw the north maine woods, camped at Haymock lake. Drove out. While you can put the seats down and move front seats firward and shove a twin air mattress in the bronco sport , and air matress does nothing for insulation. I was freezing once my 12v electeic Blanket (run off an independent 12v old car battery) Ran out.
A 5 amp draw on a 45 amp Hour battery SHOULD last 9 hours, but actually closer to 6.5. Cold really killed the battery(rear seat drivers foot welll) and as a result my nest wasnā€™t very warm.

My nest consisted (I regret not taking a photo) of bottom layer toward top: 2 thermarest self inflating mats on the bottom then, twin Walmart air matress, electric blanket 12v (5 amp on high, 3 amp on low.) cheap sleeping bag around the whole air matress to keep it warm, -40 degree army mummy bag (3 part goretex , black (cold )and green liners(warm). Then me.
The air matress was the weak point . While comfortable it was a heat sink and ver cold once the batter died around 530am(went to bed at 1030). In retrospect I should have had the thermarests on top of air matress and the electric on top of those. Outside Temp was -3 plus a light breeze so -16 was what a fellow camper reported.
Iā€™m definitely getting another insulated same size air mattress and larger battery as until that ran out I was golden. .

Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding in northern Maine woods in Feb w/ Badlands Bronco Sport 245D42CB-413F-4F12-9250-93414EE67C19
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding in northern Maine woods in Feb w/ Badlands Bronco Sport 903C761A-6D75-4D91-A5A9-4210E6F165E1
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding in northern Maine woods in Feb w/ Badlands Bronco Sport DA932194-3FF9-4B9B-820D-EB11C0D7C957

I'm a motel kind of guy. I don't mind freezing my butt all day...but at night I need an adult beverage and warm bed.šŸ˜“

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Love it - looks like a blast. Yes....air mattresses are miserable in the cold. Nothing but a super thin layer of rubber between you and air that quickly hits ambient temperature. Been there, done that, and the comfort of an air mattress was quickly overshadowed by the cold from the same mattress.
I would suggest putting an "emergency blanket" on the air mattress and the sleeping back on top of that. It won't completely stop the heat loss but it is an improvement.

Robert Flavor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2000 Kawasaki KLR650
I'm not sure the equipment should be an issue from what you're describing, you may just need some tweaks to iron it out. I've been sleeping here in the Rockies in my BS when it's been at 0 and still managed to stay warm in the sleeping bag. I use a Marmot Sawtooth 10 degree bag, Thermarest Mondoking self-inflating pad (or a 3 inch folding memory foam mattress from Amazon, both are awesome choices) and sleep in my underwear cozy as can be, although the inside of the car may literally be freezing.

One tip I will say is never use your own breath to inflate the an air mattress if you can help it. The condensation will freeze and make you colder (also, later turns to mildew).

I'm sure you also took advantage of this, but using the remote start to run the car for 15-30 minutes while you're in it is clutch. I just keep my keys next to me while I'm sleeping and fire it up if needed, and go back to sleep until it cuts off on its own.

I'm sure you just need to take a couple more trips to dial it in, sounds like a fun time though thanks for sharing. Too much of this forum is uninteresting nonsense and complaining about the length of build orders, it's refreshing to see someone actually use their car and share what they're doing with it.

C&C&C=The 3 Amigos !

Badlands
First Name
Christine(Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport BL
:crackup: I don't know if that was you ( fsjdw2 ) pulling that Chevy out of the ditch :cwl: But that was awesome seeing that :rockon: It looks like a lot of fun :) Expect for the sleeping issue's :frown:

OP
OP

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve got 235/65r17 wildpeak Atā€™s . Got rig with scorpions and then saw a smoking deal on. The wild peaks for $450 . Put them on and still have scorpions to sell come spring.

Rubber Ducky

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

Love! Pulling a Colorado! ha ha

OP
OP

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love! Pulling a Colorado! ha ha
Thatā€™s a Silverado, v8, 4x4, with a roof top tent, 4 inch lift, tires are 33 inch ATā€™s, and a v8. Itā€™s got 10 gallons of gas in cans, 5 gallons diesel, , diesel tent heater, cooler of food, recovery gear, ect. It likely weighs somewhere around 7000lbs in that video(and we are going up a mild grade as well). @Rubber Ducky

Last edited:

Rubber Ducky

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well then that is even more impressive for the baby bronco!

Rubber Ducky

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s a Silverado, v8, 4x4, with a roof top tent, 4 inch lift, tires are 33 inch ATā€™s, and a v8. Itā€™s got 10 gallons of gas in cans, 5 gallons diesel, , diesel tent heater, cooler of food, recovery gear, ect. It likely weighs somewhere around 7000lbs in that video(and we are going up a mild grade as well). @Rubber Ducky
WEll that is even more impressive for the baby bronco!

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
When camping in the cold, I use a 5" thick foam pad. I sink into it, and it kept me comfortable at -20Ā°.. My Springbar tent is easy to set up, bombproof, and has room for two cots and a table, and most importantly, a Mr. Heater. We cook inside the tent and only run the heater while we are awake. I use a deep cycle battery for lights in the tent, with a solar panel to charge it if we're staying a week.

OP
OP

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The initial weather report was such that I didnā€™t wanna be in anything that might leak wind. Or get buried by a snow drift. -57 was projected (-20 plus 35 mpg ish wind). I built my planned sleeping on that. Temps warmed
Up big time . Iā€™m also poor. Lol. I have been shopping for a self inflating insulated mat for the back as I was really happy with how it worked.
Sponsored