First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
between a hemi V8 and the 2.0 there's not a world of difference, there is an entire universe :crackup:
Pretty sure my 2.0 sport would out accelerate a Hemi pickup truck by a fairly wide margin.
Sponsored

sinbuster007

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 SUV's, 2 Mustangs
gonna chime in here....but these engines are similar to the ones found in the escapes.
i drove both of them back to back, up and down hills, with a/c on, everything else i could turn on and use during both trips. we have a 2017 escape with the 2.0 and i would never buy the 1.5 (1.3) whatever it is just for the fact of having the extra power to do what i need. agree some people wont care or notice the difference but if you drive all the time you will. what if you need to get on the highway because the traffic is doing 80 and no one will willingly let you in.....? get run over you might. the extra power also helps with all the "accessories" on like a/c. you can feel the power struggle when its hot out and your running the a/c because you have 2 kids in the car.
we traveled to washington dc for about 6months back n forth to take my son to the childrens hospital there and we took the escape because it had all the bells/whistles that would occupy him on the trip.....so i know what that engine is capable of an not. exactly why i am getting the badlands....even though some options on the badlands i probably will never use, but for the 2.0 only. i have a ford edge ST, with the 335hp engine. we took that on a trip to the poconos with the kids, up mountains, hills, stops, starts, a/c, all the fun stuff and i averaged 28mpg.....and had the power to pass, merge and change without hesitation and didnt cause or be involved in any situation with other cars either....

my point is most will not drive these things all over the place, and yes from point a to b....and they will be ok with the 1.5 but i want to make sure i have the extra power to do what i need to do when im driving with the kids. mpg is not as important to me as the safety in gettting in and out of situations quickly....i cant do that in a tiny moped motor. my needs prefer the 2.0 others needs might prefer the 1.5
OP, you have to decide what need you want and then choose from there. grocery getter from a to b then your good with the 1.5....
highway traveling all the time, might want to opt for the 2.0

just my 2 cents.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
sorry, but u don't need to be professional driver to differentiate this....

Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks vs Badlands 1661862898188

in your back, your feet and in your safety when you are overtaking a truck on the road......
I don't believe anyone is saying you won't notice improved acceleration. I believe what Mike was saying is that a) no one can go from one car to the next and say they can tell it's 1.3 seconds faster from 0-60 without actually testing, and b) 1.3 seconds isn't that big of a difference.

There are a lot of different tricks to getting the best 0-60 time, and automotive journalists know all of them. What's more, they make run after run until they are sure they have wrung every last bit of acceleration out of the car they're testing.

If you put a 2.0L and 1.5L side-by-side at a stop light with the driver of the smaller engine who knows the tricks against your average rando off the street, there's a good chance the smaller engine will get to the next light--or to the merge--sooner.

But yeah, all other things being equal, no one is suggesting the two engines are equal in performance.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
We owned a 1.5 Ecoboost for three years. The 2.0 immediately felt quicker and stronger because it is.

The difference is 100% noticeable.

When we test drove the 1.5 Ecoboost in the BS after driving a 2.0 Ecoboost for three years it felt slower and weaker because it is. Not to mention the noise and vibration.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Apparently I feel the need to throw my two cents in..

The HP and torque numbers speak for themselves, the two engines aren't comparable. Now how much you value that is up to you and how that effects your driving experience is again up to you but its not a discussion, the 2.0L is faster and has comparable MPG. Really what I see on here is people defending a financial decision and trying to deride the 2.0L as overpowered and unnecessary.

WLK

Badlands
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My husband told me to buy the 2.0 or don't buy it at all. :crackup:

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
First off I love how the post shows the slower times for the 2.0. Even with the slower times, 1.3 seconds is an eternity when drag racing. You might as well get your calendar out to record the times. Once you are beyond 30mph the 2.0 is just so much stronger. Even if you don't drag race the better torque and power can be used when going offroad especially when you don't have a 4L with the gearbox. That torque is going to make a huge difference. I mean the 2.0 makes 80 lbs/ft more of torque...how do you not notice that?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Reactions: WLK

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Apparently I feel the need to throw my two cents in..

The HP and torque numbers speak for themselves, the two engines aren't comparable. Now how much you value that is up to you and how that effects your driving experience is again up to you but its not a discussion, the 2.0L is faster and has comparable MPG. Really what I see on here is people defending a financial decision and trying to deride the 2.0L as overpowered and unnecessary.
Sigh....financial decision? Maybe for some. I have no use for the major off road upgrades found on the badlands model. I did want something that could handle gnarly gravel and dirt roads. And the Outer Banks hit on a few upgrades such as a power passenger seat. I do have to admit, I'm not a beach person, so driving something that says Outer Banks did take some getting used to. 😎

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
My husband told me to buy the 2.0 or don't buy it at all. :crackup:
Same thought process here. It was the Badlands, or a different vehicle altogether. Now that I own the Badlands, that opinion is only stronger. But to each their own.

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sigh....financial decision? Maybe for some. I have no use for the major off road upgrades found on the badlands model. I did want something that could handle gnarly gravel and dirt roads. And the Outer Banks hit on a few upgrades such as a power passenger seat. I do have to admit, I'm not a beach person, so driving something that says Outer Banks did take some getting used to. 😎
Hmmmm. Now that you bring that up, I've never been to South Dakota. :crackup:

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never driven one, but 3 cyl engines naturally vibrates more than 4 /6 cyl
Probably, but not necessarily. Long ago, I drove a 5 cylinder Audi. The engineering behind it was that an odd number of cylinders makes for less vibration than an even number, as the odd numbered cylinder, if timed appropriately, would counter balance the movement from the left and right cylinders as they fire.

But I don't know.....I don't recall it being a particularly smooth engine and not sure if the 1.5 Ford 3 cylinder was engineered with the 3rd cylinder to be the counter balance of the other two.

watchnerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
Probably, but not necessarily. Long ago, I drove a 5 cylinder Audi. The engineering behind it was that an odd number of cylinders makes for less vibration than an even number, as the odd numbered cylinder, if timed appropriately, would counter balance the movement from the left and right cylinders as they fire.
That must have been 30+ years ago with the Quattro of the 1980s. I don't think Audi has made a 5 cylinder in decades.

I've owned two Audis, both with turbocharged 4 cylinders.

Interestingly, the Badlands has better acceleration out of the box than my 2001 Audi A4 (1.8T, stick shift) of the time had, even though the Audi is a "sporty sedan".

Although then I chipped the A4...
Sponsored