wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How is the highway noise? I'm about to pull the trigger I think and I'm debating heavily between the Toyos and the Wildpeak AT trail.
At 55mph you might notice a slight roar, but that is probably more dependent on how coarse the surface of the asphalt/pavement is. At 65 mph and above the wind noise of our little boxes drowns out the tire noise, at least to me. I would say no difference between the factory tires above 65, but between 30-55ish mph you may notice a low roar/hum. Honestly our roads are so poor around here that the factory tires were pretty noisy on most surfaces too.
Sponsored

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I was able to pick up a set of barely used KMC KM721 Alpines (18x8 Gray) on eBay. Just had some Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunners (235/60R18) mounted today and I'm loving the look on my Kodiak Brown Big Bend. The gray matches the color in the grill.

Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_0331
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_0325.JPG
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_0336.JPG

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I was able to pick up a set of barely used KMC KM721 Alpines (18x8 Gray) on eBay. Just had some Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunners (235/60R18) mounted today and I'm loving the look on my Kodiak Brown Big Bend. The gray matches the color in the grill.

Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_0331
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_0325.JPG
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_0336.JPG
That looks fantastic, you are making me regret not waiting for the KMCs to come back into stock!

YFD_322

Outer Banks
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I juat ordered 265/60r18 Toyo Open Country ATlll
I'm intersted in this. I want a touch of a poke also. This video looks pretty good on the tires/poke/size

Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. s-l1600

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on them overall/mpg change with those tires too.
We are currently up to about 1600 miles on the BS, with the last 1400 or so on the new tire/wheel setup. Our current lifetime average fuel economy according to the computer is 25.5 mpg with a 50/50 mix of city/highway. At 72 mph, which is where I usually keep the cruise control, we average about 28.5 mpg which seems on par with the stock setup. However, I also did an oil change at around 1000 miles and maybe it's placebo effect but that seems that it improved my mileage by 1 or 2 mpg. Sorry I didn't track it more scientifically, but it seems that the mileage improvement gained as the engine breaks in was offset by the new wheels and tires resulting in no significant difference.

Lt104

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
After poring over all the great information here I placed an order for some new rims and tires.

Rims: KMC 721 Alpine (Black) 17x8 (26.5lbs)
Tires: Toyo Open Country AT III 235/65/17 (32lbs)
Also includes TPMS with black metal valve stems, and black McGard lugs to complete the look

I chose this combination to prioritize keeping the weight combination low (58.5 lbs based on published specs), while providing more off road capability and safety in snow, and without upsetting the vehicle computer/dynamics too much by going too oversize , and of course looking much better than stock! I see most BS owners are trying to cram as much tire as possible under the BS for more capability, but given that our vehicle this replaced didn't see much worse than badly rutted roads, sand, and deep snow I didn't think that was necessary. If I was going for all out capability I would have chosen a steel wheel (31 lbs) and 245/65/17 BFG KO2s (44 lbs!) but that combo would be a whopping 75 lbs per corner, for a total increase of 66 lbs in unsprung weight which will absolutely affect handling and mpg. Also if I was going for all out capability I would have opted for a BL instead of an OB, but that is neither here nor there.

Will update with actual weights and pictures when they arrive.
Did you have to reset your TPMS.

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Did you have to reset your TPMS.
I purchased my wheels/tires with TPMS from tirerack and, to my amazement and to the credit of Ford, the TPMS on the new wheels were automatically detected correctly for each wheel in the correct location. It's a big improvement from past systems I have used that require a manual reset/reconfiguration.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
After poring over all the great information here I placed an order for some new rims and tires.

Rims: KMC 721 Alpine (Black) 17x8 (26.5lbs)
Tires: Toyo Open Country AT III 235/65/17 (32lbs)
Also includes TPMS with black metal valve stems, and black McGard lugs to complete the look

I chose this combination to prioritize keeping the weight combination low (58.5 lbs based on published specs), while providing more off road capability and safety in snow, and without upsetting the vehicle computer/dynamics too much by going too oversize , and of course looking much better than stock! I see most BS owners are trying to cram as much tire as possible under the BS for more capability, but given that our vehicle this replaced didn't see much worse than badly rutted roads, sand, and deep snow I didn't think that was necessary. If I was going for all out capability I would have chosen a steel wheel (31 lbs) and 245/65/17 BFG KO2s (44 lbs!) but that combo would be a whopping 75 lbs per corner, for a total increase of 66 lbs in unsprung weight which will absolutely affect handling and mpg. Also if I was going for all out capability I would have opted for a BL instead of an OB, but that is neither here nor there.

Will update with actual weights and pictures when they arrive.
I have been curious how loud the BFG ko2's are. What do you think?

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have been curious how loud the BFG ko2's are. What do you think?
I went with the Toyo Open Country AT3s, but given experience in the past I would say the KO2s are louder than the Toyos due to more aggressive tread and reinforced sidewall. The Toyos are noisier than stock up to highway speeds where the wind noise drowns it out. The KO2s I have used in the past tend to have a resonant hum beginning around 30 mph (wumm-wummm-wummm) that almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing, the Toyos have a low roar/whooshing that is steady and much less noticeable.

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I went with the Toyo Open Country AT3s, but given experience in the past I would say the KO2s are louder than the Toyos due to more aggressive tread and reinforced sidewall. The Toyos are noisier than stock up to highway speeds where the wind noise drowns it out. The KO2s I have used in the past tend to have a resonant hum beginning around 30 mph (wumm-wummm-wummm) that almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing, the Toyos have a low roar/whooshing that is steady and much less noticeable.
Great to know! Thanks!
Sponsored