wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
After poring over all the great information here I placed an order for some new rims and tires.

Rims: KMC 721 Alpine (Black) 17x8 (26.5lbs)
Tires: Toyo Open Country AT III 235/65/17 (32lbs)
Also includes TPMS with black metal valve stems, and black McGard lugs to complete the look

I chose this combination to prioritize keeping the weight combination low (58.5 lbs based on published specs), while providing more off road capability and safety in snow, and without upsetting the vehicle computer/dynamics too much by going too oversize , and of course looking much better than stock! I see most BS owners are trying to cram as much tire as possible under the BS for more capability, but given that our vehicle this replaced didn't see much worse than badly rutted roads, sand, and deep snow I didn't think that was necessary. If I was going for all out capability I would have chosen a steel wheel (31 lbs) and 245/65/17 BFG KO2s (44 lbs!) but that combo would be a whopping 75 lbs per corner, for a total increase of 66 lbs in unsprung weight which will absolutely affect handling and mpg. Also if I was going for all out capability I would have opted for a BL instead of an OB, but that is neither here nor there.

Will update with actual weights and pictures when they arrive.
Sponsored

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Escape SE
After poring over all the great information here I placed an order for some new rims and tires.

Rims: KMC 721 Alpine (Black) 17x8 (26.5lbs)
Tires: Toyo Open Country AT III 235/65/17 (32lbs)
Also includes TPMS with black metal valve stems, and black McGard lugs to complete the look

I chose this combination to prioritize keeping the weight combination low (58.5 lbs based on published specs), while providing more off road capability and safety in snow, and without upsetting the vehicle computer/dynamics too much by going too oversize , and of course looking much better than stock! I see most BS owners are trying to cram as much tire as possible under the BS for more capability, but given that our vehicle this replaced didn't see much worse than badly rutted roads, sand, and deep snow I didn't think that was necessary. If I was going for all out capability I would have chosen a steel wheel (31 lbs) and 245/65/17 BFG KO2s (44 lbs!) but that combo would be a whopping 75 lbs per corner, for a total increase of 66 lbs in unsprung weight which will absolutely affect handling and mpg. Also if I was going for all out capability I would have opted for a BL instead of an OB, but that is neither here nor there.

Will update with actual weights and pictures when they arrive.
Definitely interested to see, as I'm also considering the Alpines. Did you order from tirerack?

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Definitely interested to see, as I'm also considering the Alpines. Did you order from tirerack?
Yeah I did. I am curious to see how long the order will take since the wheels are "special order". I was debating all day yesterday, then when I went to pull the trigger last night all the beefier wheel options disappeared from their site and were removed from my cart, and the TPMS sensors also were unavailable. I thought I missed my chance so when I checked this morning and the site was working again I pulled the trigger. There is a user on here with the silver Alpines on a silver BS, and also some black ones on a silver BS here: 2021 Ford Bronco Sport BFGOODRICH TIRES KMC WHEELS W/LIFT KIT ROOF BASKET LIKE NEW Stock # 21036-375 visit www.karbuds.com for more info

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I juat ordered 265/60r18 Toyo Open Country ATlll
That might be the biggest tire I have heard of someone fitting. Are you going with a lift and trimming the carpet and doing some grinding on the sheetmetal? That tire is 16.9% wider than stock, and 6.6% larger in diameter.

BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That might be the biggest tire I have heard of someone fitting. Are you going with a lift and trimming the carpet and doing some grinding on the sheetmetal? That tire is 16.9% wider than stock, and 6.6% larger in diameter.
Just ordered some Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s 235/65/r17 for my badlands, debated 245 but went with the safe choice... and here we are talking about 265!? wow! now im curious lol

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well the KMC wheels were backordered about 2 months, so I swapped the order to some LP Adventure LP5 wheels yesterday via email. TireRack processed the change immediately and they shipped out within a few hours... and arrived today (less than 24 hours later, shipped from Sparks, NV to Bay Area, CA). The LP5 wheels are actually listed lighter (25.3 lbs) than the KMC wheels but are a bit more pricey. Also the LP5 wheels ship with black lugs that ended up being quality Gorilla lug nuts vs. the nickel lugs that should come with the KMC. Too bad I already picked up some black McGard locking lug nuts. I'm not a huge fan of the "faux beadlock" look of the LP5, but my Fiancée loves the look the American Racing Baja wheels I ran on my old 4x4 so she liked the circular elements on the LP5 and I must say it has grown on me after seeing it in person.

The weight of the wheel combination (LP Adventure LP5 17x8 with Toyo Open Country A/T 3 in 235/65/R17) based upon listed specs should be 57.3 lbs but that doesn't account for the TPMS or wheel weights.

The actual weight of the combo is: 58.4 lbs each
The factory 18" OB wheels with the Michelin Primacy A/S 225/60/R18 tires is: 49.8 lbs each

So even focusing on saving some weight this option is quite a bit heavier than the stock setup which will probably affect fuel economy, but the capability tradeoff is worth it IMO.

A quick test drive reveals that the more aggressive tread pattern and stiffer sidewall contributes to a bit more noise (very slight roar) up to about 40-45 mph when the wind noise drowns it out. I also think I feel more of the bumps/potholes/seams in the pavement so the ride is marginally rougher probably due again to the stiffer sidewall. The upside is that turn-in is more immediate and handling on dry pavement seems to be improved. I'm sure handling in any adverse condition is also greatly improved. Overall I am very happy with the upgrade.

This thread is worthless without pitchurs so...
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_5819
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_5820
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_5821
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_5822
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_5828
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_5831
Ford Bronco Sport Ordered new wheels and tires. IMG_5832

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well the KMC wheels were backordered about 2 months, so I swapped the order to some LP Adventure LP5 wheels yesterday via email. TireRack processed the change immediately and they shipped out within a few hours... and arrived today (less than 24 hours later, shipped from Sparks, NV to Bay Area, CA). The LP5 wheels are actually listed lighter (25.3 lbs) than the KMC wheels but are a bit more pricey. Also the LP5 wheels ship with black lugs that ended up being quality Gorilla lug nuts vs. the nickel lugs that should come with the KMC. Too bad I already picked up some black McGard locking lug nuts. I'm not a huge fan of the "faux beadlock" look of the LP5, but my Fiancée loves the look the American Racing Baja wheels I ran on my old 4x4 so she liked the circular elements on the LP5 and I must say it has grown on me after seeing it in person.

The weight of the wheel combination (LP Adventure LP5 17x8 with Toyo Open Country A/T 3 in 235/65/R17) based upon listed specs should be 57.3 lbs but that doesn't account for the TPMS or wheel weights.

The actual weight of the combo is: 58.4 lbs each
The factory 18" OB wheels with the Michelin Primacy A/S 225/60/R18 tires is: 49.8 lbs each

So even focusing on saving some weight this option is quite a bit heavier than the stock setup which will probably affect fuel economy, but the capability tradeoff is worth it IMO.

A quick test drive reveals that the more aggressive tread pattern and stiffer sidewall contributes to a bit more noise (very slight roar) up to about 40-45 mph when the wind noise drowns it out. I also think I feel more of the bumps/potholes/seams in the pavement so the ride is marginally rougher probably due again to the stiffer sidewall. The upside is that turn-in is more immediate and handling on dry pavement seems to be improved. I'm sure handling in any adverse condition is also greatly improved. Overall I am very happy with the upgrade.

This thread is worthless without pitchurs so...
So no additional lift?

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Looks like you also have a 7 foot door ,I have a 7 foot door and I have crossbars on and it clears by 3-4 inches .
Yeah it's pretty tight, I bet if I mounted the ski/snowboard racks to a crossbar it would not fit in the garage. When I look for crossbars I will be emphasizing ease of removal and installation since I may be doing it quite a bit. I have a hitch cargo basket and a hitch bike carrier so it hasn't been an issue yet...

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh man that looks fantastic! It’s funny I was considering alpines, and also considering those LP5s so you were after two of my top choices.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on them overall/mpg change with those tires too.

Ghostdog

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
That seems to be a big tire without a lift. Any rubbing issues?

Looks amazing, by the way! I'm hoping to get some new wheels/tires soon.

OP
OP
wilbur_xmas

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Be careful of your moonroof if you have one they come up into the crossbar space.If you look at my crossbars they are very high ,the moonroof will come up past the roof rails.
No moonroof so we don't have to worry about that thankfully. We never used the moonroof on our last rig and all the BS models at the dealer didn't come with the upgrade packages which was fine with us. My Fiancée does want a cargo basket or something up top but I suspect that is basically just for cosmetics so she will probably back down if it prevents us from parking in the garage and further hurts mpg, haha.

Oh man that looks fantastic! It’s funny I was considering alpines, and also considering those LP5s so you were after two of my top choices.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on them overall/mpg change with those tires too.
Thanks! I think personally I prefer the Alpines (especially in Bronze) but I didn't want to wait 2 months to make this upgrade so it was either the LP5 or the Alphaequipt Foxtrot but now they also have the LP1 which looks nice. One thing to note the LP5 and KMC Alpine are an 8" wheel and the others are a 7.5" wheel, meaning the sidewall will bulge more and look more aggressive on the narrower wheels. All else being equal I think I would prefer the look more on a 7.5" wide wheel in hindsight.

I'll provide some mpg updates over time, but we only put about 200 miles on the factory setup at which time we were at a 24 mpg average according to the computer. That was over a probably 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. After 40 miles of mostly highway driving today and not resetting the computer we are up to 24.3 mpg.

That seems to be a big tire without a lift. Any rubbing issues?

Looks amazing, by the way! I'm hoping to get some new wheels/tires soon.
Thanks! I think this is actually a pretty small tire upgrade as most people seem to prefer the 245/65/R17 combo even without a lift and I haven't seen any reports of them rubbing. I believe the 235/65/R17 size I'm running is the same as the upgrade tire option on the Badlands, though a more aggressive tread pattern.

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is the highway noise? I'm about to pull the trigger I think and I'm debating heavily between the Toyos and the Wildpeak AT trail.
Sponsored