hmhubb

Big Bend
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Has anyone installed an additional oil catch can on there engine?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Has anyone installed an additional oil catch can on there engine?
Before you spend the money and time to install and maintain a catch can ask yourself why you're doing it. Some believe a catch can is a necessity with a direct-injection engine to prevent carbon deposits on the intake valves. If that's you then I think you are wasting your money and time. The 1.5L Dragon engine is both direct AND port injected, which means the valves will not accumulate deposits like engines which are only direct injected.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
The 1.5L Dragon engine is both direct AND port injected, which means the valves will not accumulate deposits like engines which are only direct injected.
Is the 2L only direct injection?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the 2L only direct injection?
Yes. But Ford has implemented a number of strategies to mitigate valve contamination with its EcoBoost engines, including changes to fuel injection vs intake valve timing (there is overlap between fuel injection and intake valve open to get some fuel back into the intake manifold) and oil specification. The latest oils that meet ILSAC GF-6A and API SP standards were developed (in part) to address low-speed preignition and environmental concerns that deal specifically with oil volatility. These oils minimize the vapors generated by evaporation which are the major cause of intake valve carbon deposits.

The upshot is reports of driveability issues related to valve deposits for these engines are rare. Valve deposits were an issue early during the evolution of direct-injected engines, and some vendors selling aftermarket products will tell you it's still a problem. But there is little evidence of widespread problems related to the phenomenon.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Yes. But Ford has implemented a number of strategies to mitigate valve contamination with its EcoBoost engines, including changes to fuel injection vs intake valve timing (there is overlap between fuel injection and intake valve open to get some fuel back into the intake manifold) and oil specification. The latest oils that meet ILSAC GF-6A and API SP standards were developed (in part) to address low-speed preignition and environmental concerns that deal specifically with oil volatility. These oils minimize the vapors generated by evaporation which are the major cause of intake valve carbon deposits.

The upshot is reports of driveability issues related to valve deposits for these engines are rare. Valve deposits were an issue early during the evolution of direct-injected engines, and some vendors selling aftermarket products will tell you it's still a problem. But there is little evidence of widespread problems related to the phenomenon.
Coming from a 2012 VW Golf R with Direct Injection, I have been dealing with valve deposits that were a part of the "early evolution".

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from a 2012 VW Golf R with Direct Injection, I have been dealing with valve deposits that were a part of the "early evolution".
Yup; they were one of the early adopters, and a lot of Audi/VW owners had issues.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I think this will be one of those "two camps" mods that people can't agree on.
Some say not needed, other ppl like or want one. Usually disagreement ect ect ect.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
JAD67428, did you not put the engine cover back on?
Ha , never had one in the first place and don’t feel like fighting with the catch can to possibly being covered by said engine cover. I’m not putting one on.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I did this, JLT 3.0... Actually, Ford already has an oil separator on the 1.5L. In the second pic, coming off the left side of the JLT can, follow that hose to where it connects (2 green tabs), that container is Ford's oil separator. So we're getting double protection right, ;).

Ford's oil separator dumping it back into the oil pan, maybe, I don't know? My JLT can is about half full at about 1500 miles. I have to remember to empty it...

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
I did this, JLT 3.0... Actually, Ford already has an oil separator on the 1.5L. In the second pic, coming off the left side of the JLT can, follow that hose to where it connects (2 green tabs), that container is Ford's oil separator. So we're getting double protection right, ;).

Ford's oil separator dumping it back into the oil pan, maybe, I don't know? My JLT can is about half full at about 1500 miles. I have to remember to empty it...
Yep Er, and that’s what’s involved in the recall if that black air/oil separator is not Installed Correctly it will leak oil.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"

JLT is now J&L OSC
"Same great product but a different name"
The internal debate has ceased
Decisive winning argument