BSB75

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands CO
Has anyone noticed their odometer going up real fast. The speedometer seems to be accurate. Just picked it up brand new with 6 miles and has been clocking the mileage very fast, highway speeds clock a tenth of a mile every 2 seconds or about 180MPH clip and no it only has 2.0 liter lol. Taking to the dealer tomorrow but was wondering if someone had this occur to them and how it was resolved/what was wrong.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
guess I haven't paid any attention to that but was shocked that I had accumulated so many miles already. Next long trip I will chart it with waze and compare to what the odometer says. Thanks for bringing that up. Might seem insignificant but it will affect any residual resale value.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Has anyone noticed their odometer going up real fast. The speedometer seems to be accurate. Just picked it up brand new with 6 miles and has been clocking the mileage very fast, highway speeds clock a tenth of a mile every 2 seconds or about 180MPH clip and no it only has 2.0 liter lol. Taking to the dealer tomorrow but was wondering if someone had this occur to them and how it was resolved/what was wrong.
guess I haven't paid any attention to that but was shocked that I had accumulated so many miles already. Next long trip I will chart it with waze and compare to what the odometer says. Thanks for bringing that up. Might seem insignificant but it will affect any residual resale value.
I hadn't noticed this either. I already have 9k miles on mine, but I've driven across the country and back as well as a lot of other driving, so it makes sense. I'll keep an eye on it now.

OP
OP

BSB75

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I checked because I thought the same thing and says mi right next to the numbers. I physically watched the tenths rack up every 2 seconds at about 75mph going to work this morning. Just weird because everything else works normal including the dash cluster. And the trip odometer goes up at same rate as odometer.

Jeff.H

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport badlands
mine seems like its going up very fast too but I also just moved to CA from NY right before I got the bronco and everything is a lot further here. but im somehow already at 9K miles and I don't have to commute to work

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I worked a contract in Oregon many years ago and IIRC they had signs on the interstate every so often for calibrating your odometer. Any other States do that?

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Dont notice them at all, which highway are these seen?
Somewhere on I-5, southern part of the state. Similar to this one in Canada:

Ford Bronco Sport Odometer reading going up real fast 20496816370_ca6327f15a_c

OP
OP

BSB75

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes we do in NJ and Ill be 3 to almost 4 tenths every tenth mile marker

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Interesting , I thought my wife was just driving a lot , lol . Now I have to check .

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I worked a contract in Oregon many years ago and IIRC they had signs on the interstate every so often for calibrating your odometer. Any other States do that?
I would guess Michigan does on the main expressways with halves and tenths of a mile markers in many areas. I tried to pay attention on a short trip yesterday and watched the tenths add up until I broke a mile. Seems pretty accurate thus far. I'll monitor it closer as I drive further trips.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I did a quick test on the way home last night. Pulled up Google Maps, it said I was 0.8mi away from my house. Watched the odometer go from .1 to .9. I have a BL with the Pirelli tires.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Do 60mph for sixty seconds and you should read one mile. To get a more accurate result lengthen the time.
Ex 180 seconds should be three miles.

It's "normal" for the speedometer to read fast by a couple of mph and if the the speedometer and odometer are tied together then it too will read fast (more distance than actually traveled).

I have wondered if this is done to shorten the warranty. The semi official statements I have heard is to be sure that the speedometer is not why people are speeding. ;)
Sponsored