CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I thought about posting this in other threads about dash cams, but it felt like hijacking an unrelated thread, so...

I decided to buy a dash cam for my new BB BS since it seems like the roads are populated with more insane drivers every day. I especially regret that I did not have a dash cam when I witnessed a car, which was stopped at a stoplight, accelerate and change lanes at the last second before reaching the intersection just as the car in that lane started to go, resulting in the car proceeding straight riding over the wheel of the encroaching car and flipping immediately. It was wild, and I wish I had a record of it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I don't like having things impede my field of vision out of the windshield so I decided on a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 due to its small size. The next issue I ran into was how to mount it. I have an aversion to putting adhesive mounts on my vehicles, so looked around for a spot that I could install a custom mount, and ended up settling on the rear view mirror stem. After some quick measurements and a couple of iterations with a filament 3D printer I arrived at a design that slips over the front of the rear view mirror stem, hold the camera securely, allows angle adjustment, and disconnects from both the camera and the car without a fuss, and I wanted to share it with the community. I have posted my file to Thingiverse if you are interested in printing it yourself.

And, here it is (and I do plan to install the hardwire kit to get rid of the cable hanging down):
Ford Bronco Sport Non-adhesive mount for Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 20230517_183420

Ford Bronco Sport Non-adhesive mount for Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 20230509_134700

Ford Bronco Sport Non-adhesive mount for Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 20230518_102508

Ford Bronco Sport Non-adhesive mount for Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 20230517_183524
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Hey, I want one of these.

"design that slips over the front of the rear view mirror stem, hold the camera securely, allows angle adjustment, and disconnects from both the camera and the car without a fuss"

What would you charge me to make one? I don't have access to the 3D printers(?)

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Nice mount and props on the 3D Printing skills! My mirror stem is already taken by a Blendmount for my Radar detector, but could be handy for those that prefer that mounting style, and it's nice that it's out of the driver's eyeline. (I assume the detector makes audible alerts if it can't record for some reason... it's why I actually like my dashcam mounted in a way where I can see the screen, even though my Viofo supports audible alerts if no SD card/can't record for another reason, I like to make sure it's running.)

I would say I have used Viofo GPS dashcam mounts with 3M adhesive tape in several vehicles, and due to upgrades or other reasons I've had to remove them - never had an issue with removal (remaining adhesive, too difficult, etc.) if that's concern. Generally easy to pry off with just fingers and no residue, but if it's been on for a while a plastic pry tool can be easier on your fingers...

OP
OP
CODIY

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Hey, I want one of these.

"design that slips over the front of the rear view mirror stem, hold the camera securely, allows angle adjustment, and disconnects from both the camera and the car without a fuss"

What would you charge me to make one? I don't have access to the 3D printers(?)
For a one off, unpainted, say $10 plus shipping?

*Edit, on second thought, it needs to be painted to protect it from further curing in the sun, so painting it black would also be included. It just might take a little longer for me to get it done. If you wanted a special color, that would be extra ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CODIY

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
detector makes audible alerts if it can't record for some reason
There are a couple of status LEDs, one for audio recording and one for video. The video LED is at the bottom of the unit and can be seen. Various colors and flashes indicate problems/status.
I do also like that there is voice control in addition to the button to save a video or a picture, though I have not tried it as yet.

never had an issue with removal (remaining adhesive, too difficult, etc.)
I think that is generally the case, but for some reason I can't ever bring myself to use adhesive mounts. Especially if there is an alternative.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
For a one off, unpainted, say $10 plus shipping?

*Edit, on second thought, it needs to be painted to protect it from further curing in the sun, so painting it black would also be included. It just might take a little longer for me to get it done. If you wanted a special color, that would be extra ;)
I'm in. Let me know how you want payment. We can do this through a conversation. I'll start it.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I have Garmin 45 that I’ve had for a looong time now that has saved my butt twice. I’m in also.

Looks like you got yiurself some business here if your game to manufacture them.

name the price. Drop the cashapp handle and let it rip.

OP
OP
CODIY

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I have Garmin 45 that I’ve had for a looong time now that has saved my butt twice. I’m in also.

Looks like you got yiurself some business here if your game to manufacture them.

name the price. Drop the cashapp handle and let it rip.
I am not sure if it will work with the Garmin 45, but I can send you a filament printed version to see if it works.
For a resin printed mount, I can give you the same offer... $10 plus shipping. I'll get a hold of you through a conversation in the next day or two to sort out details if you want to go forward.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure if it will work with the Garmin 45, but I can send you a filament printed version to see if it works.
For a resin printed mount, I can give you the same offer... $10 plus shipping. I'll get a hold of you through a conversation in the next day or two to sort out details if you want to go forward.
Awesome! Thank you!

Yeah, I just went to the garmin website and looked for information, but they haven't made the 45 in so long, it was hard to find. But my 45 does have that same type of ball and socket attachment. Whether the ball is the same diameter, I guess we will have to see. I gotta believe it is.

DM me when you're ready.

OP
OP
CODIY

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Awesome! Thank you!

Yeah, I just went to the garmin website and looked for information, but they haven't made the 45 in so long, it was hard to find. But my 45 does have that same type of ball and socket attachment. Whether the ball is the same diameter, I guess we will have to see. I gotta believe it is.

DM me when you're ready.
I believe that the ball diameter is the same, but the big difference is that it looks like the 45 is attached to the ball at the top rather than the front. I'll shoot you a DM to discuss options

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe that the ball diameter is the same, but the big difference is that it looks like the 45 is attached to the ball at the top rather than the front. I'll shoot you a DM to discuss options
I think I know what you're saying. When I saw your picture and then oriented my camera and magnet mount at the same angle, in order for the camera to face forward, it was almost at its "limit of rotation" in order to do so. I was wondering about that myself. But from my mimick, it 'seemed' that the angle was just good enough.

debbieksg

First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda CX-5
I thought about posting this in other threads about dash cams, but it felt like hijacking an unrelated thread, so...

I decided to buy a dash cam for my new BB BS since it seems like the roads are populated with more insane drivers every day. I especially regret that I did not have a dash cam when I witnessed a car, which was stopped at a stoplight, accelerate and change lanes at the last second before reaching the intersection just as the car in that lane started to go, resulting in the car proceeding straight riding over the wheel of the encroaching car and flipping immediately. It was wild, and I wish I had a record of it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I don't like having things impede my field of vision out of the windshield so I decided on a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 due to its small size. The next issue I ran into was how to mount it. I have an aversion to putting adhesive mounts on my vehicles, so looked around for a spot that I could install a custom mount, and ended up settling on the rear view mirror stem. After some quick measurements and a couple of iterations with a filament 3D printer I arrived at a design that slips over the front of the rear view mirror stem, hold the camera securely, allows angle adjustment, and disconnects from both the camera and the car without a fuss, and I wanted to share it with the community. I have posted my file to Thingiverse if you are interested in printing it yourself.

And, here it is (and I do plan to install the hardwire kit to get rid of the cable hanging down):

Could you make one for a 2022 Mazda CX-5?

OP
OP
CODIY

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Could you make one for a 2022 Mazda CX-5?
Short answer... probably, but it would require access to the rear mirror in the car to design something to fit it. If the Mazda used the same mirror stem, then it would work as is.
Sponsored