Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
Safety Issue Type: Recalls
October 15 2021 NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V809000
Inadequate Bonding on Moonroof Glass Panel

A detached glass panel can become a road hazard, and increase the risk of a crash or injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number 21V809000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components VISIBILITY

Potential Number of Units Affected 1036

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021 Bronco Sport vehicles. The moonroof
glass may not have been bonded correctly to the moonroof frame, which could result in the
glass panel detaching from the vehicle.

Remedy

Dealers will inspect the moonroof glass date code and replace the glass, if necessary, free of
charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed November 29, 2021. Owners may
contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 21S46.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety
Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Affected Products (1)

Vehicle

MAKE MODEL YEAR
FORD BRONCO SPORT 2021

Associated Documents (3)

Defect Notice 573 Report
RCLRPT-21V809-6489.PDF 213.969KB
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V809-6489.PDF

Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - Advance Notice re NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION /
DELIVERY HOLD - Advance Notice –

Safety Recall 21S46 Certain 2021 Model Year Bronco Sport Vehicles
Moonroof
RCMN-21V809-2666.pdf 132.984KB
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V809-2666.pdf

Recall Acknowledgement
RCAK-21V809-9700.pdf 645.501KB
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCAK-21V809-9700.pdf
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape
Mine was built in early April and sounds like it's not part of the recall.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
ive seen way too many sunroof/moonroof issues on vehicles in the past. fixed alot when i was on the bench too, pain in the a$$. big factor on buying my base.
hopefully not too many peeps here are affected.
thanks for the post!

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
ive seen way too many sunroof/moonroof issues on vehicles in the past. fixed alot when i was on the bench too, pain in the a$$. big factor on buying my base.
hopefully not too many peeps here are affected.
thanks for the post!
Main reason why I didn't get an upgrade package in MY21, almost impossible to find a Sport on the lot sans moonroof but with BB/OB/Badlands package. Glad they separated out the moonroof in MY22 from the rest of the upgrades. (I know in MY21 you could order sans moonroof but this was through dealer and somewhat obscure.)

Last edited:

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"
Main reason why I didn't get an upgrade package in MY21, almost impossible to find a Sport on the lot sans moonroof but with BB/OB/Badlands package. Glad they separated out the moonroof in MY22.
I wanted the co-pilot 360 but if I got that I would have also a sunroof so I declined and went for the same BS OB sans the OB Package.

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
Mine is a 6/6 build so not part of the recall. I do agree that I'm glad Ford made the sunroof ala-carte for '22 though I bet they did it more because of supply chain problems.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is a 6/6 build so not part of the recall. I do agree that I'm glad Ford made the sunroof ala-carte for '22 though I bet they did it more because of supply chain problems.
On my other three vehicles that have or have had sun/moon roofs, they have all only been able to be ordered by getting it in a package and was never available as a standalone option. It seems logical that Ford changed it to being a stand alone option so that people who really wanted it couldn't complain about it holding up their build since Ford can't control any of their suppliers production issues at the moment.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
There was at least one here that had one implode on them driving , there is a thread here somewhere & as in most parts for the BS , it was a long wait .

jwhamlin244

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Badlands
Just received the recall notice in Fordpass. I was at the dealer for unrelated issues and asked them about it. The rep said that their info shows information will be relayed to dealers in November on how to fix the issue, and they said service likely won't be available until 2022.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just received the recall notice in Fordpass. I was at the dealer for unrelated issues and asked them about it. The rep said that their info shows information will be relayed to dealers in November on how to fix the issue, and they said service likely won't be available until 2022.
Did he mean that their Service Department won't be able to work on it until 2022 ? If that's the case, I'd find another Ford dealership to take it to since a recall such as that takes priority over a "normal" shop repair.

jwhamlin244

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Badlands
Did he mean that their Service Department won't be able to work on it until 2022 ? If that's the case, I'd find another Ford dealership to take it to since a recall such as that takes priority over a "normal" shop repair.
Notification letters aren't being sent until NOV 29, 2021 - DEC 03, 2021 according to the recall paperwork in the source above. The dealer just gave an estimate depending on any equipment/parts/special procedures they would need to receive from Ford in order to perform the service. It was clearly a ballpark estimate since they only just received notice that there will be a recall. They're one of the larger dealers in the city, so I trust their sevice dept more than some of the others in the area.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Notification letters aren't being sent until NOV 29, 2021 - DEC 03, 2021 according to the recall paperwork in the source above. The dealer just gave an estimate depending on any equipment/parts/special procedures they would need to receive from Ford in order to perform the service. It was clearly a ballpark estimate since they only just received notice that there will be a recall. They're one of the larger dealers in the city, so I trust their service dept more than some of the others in the area.
The NHTSA needs to do a better job of notifications with all of the manufacturers recalls. A lot of vehicles get safety recalls and then they have to wait to get the parts, while manufacturers keep making vehicles with the upgraded/fixed parts. The unbuilt ones should have to wait for the parts until all of the built ones have been repaired - IMHO.

Hatter

Big Bend
First Name
SR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncho
Having an issue with my 22 BS moonroof seal becoming unattached and creating a loud noise. Visual inspection on top is easy to see the rubber pulled away.

Do not see any 22 recalls on moonroof.

Did anyone have their 21 BS moonroof fixed/replaced?

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Having an issue with my 22 BS moonroof seal becoming unattached and creating a loud noise. Visual inspection on top is easy to see the rubber pulled away.

Do not see any 22 recalls on moonroof.

Did anyone have their 21 BS moonroof fixed/replaced?
Hey, SR! I can take a closer look into your moonroof concerns if you'd like. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership name/location? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".
Sponsored